Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night I evidently overestimated my gas range. It’s simple math but somehow I missed the capacity of my 2001 1100 custom. How far do you get on similar models to keep from switching to reserve?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
518 Posts
I aim to put gas in at around 145miles. This is typically just before I have to switch to reserve. I can stretch it out some if I ride more conservatively...

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I aim to put gas in at around 145miles. This is typically just before I have to switch to reserve. I can stretch it out some if I ride more conservatively...
That’s about when I had to stop and switch it over

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went 160 miles before refueling. I had 5.5 gallons on my mind for some reason. Seems I was a gallon off

·
Registered
'14 1300 Deluxe & '02 650 Classic
125 Posts
"Actual mileage may vary." The best policy is to keep your own records and go from there. My Garmin Zumo has a feature to log fill-ups. I'm sure there are plenty of phone apps that do the same thing.

·
Registered
157 Posts
A lot of variables can play in to it, air drag, your weight, gear on bike weight, tire type/tread/brand, temp outside, riding style, stop/go or interstate.... I second the trial and error method. Drive for 100 miles and top off a couple times. That will give you a nice safe amount left in tank and can estimate your mpg. Then work your way up to riding more miles before filling up. I usually start looking around 120 miles and get nervous by 135. Last I remember, 37 mpg is what I was getting, however, I have seen some get up to 47 mpg.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A lot of variables can play in to it, air drag, your weight, gear on bike weight, tire type/tread/brand, temp outside, riding style, stop/go or interstate.... I second the trial and error method. Drive for 100 miles and top off a couple times. That will give you a nice safe amount left in tank and can estimate your mpg. Then work your way up to riding more miles before filling up. I usually start looking around 120 miles and get nervous by 135. Last I remember, 37 mpg is what I was getting, however, I have seen some get up to 47 mpg.
I've been getting 36-40 mpg. I just didn't know how much would be left before I needed to switch to reserve. Plus, I somehow had the wrong tank capacity in my mind.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,547 Posts
I don't have to guess, because I log every mile and every drop of gas. As you can see, it varies a lot, and how I ride makes a very noticeable difference. 80 + on the freeway sucks a lot of gas. My mileage went down when I properly adjusted the carbs and sync'd them. When I see people reporting really high mileage, I immediately suspect they are adjusted lean. But that's their business, not mine. Also, these are from a bike with Silverado windshield, large saddle bags, and a 220lb ass in the saddle.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,547 Posts
One more note - the most I have ever filled up was 4.4 gallons. Twice I did that. Both times I was on reserve, but did not run out. Both times I was teasing it getting close to home. I would not normally run it that low.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
I don't have to guess, because I log every mile and every drop of gas. As you can see, it varies a lot, and how I ride makes a very noticeable difference. 80 + on the freeway sucks a lot of gas. My mileage went down when I properly adjusted the carbs and sync'd them. When I see people reporting really high mileage, I immediately suspect they are adjusted lean. But that's their business, not mine. Also, these are from a bike with Silverado windshield, large saddle bags, and a 220lb ass in the saddle.

View attachment 106121
That looks like too much work when you get home from a ride. My work from getting home from a ride is cracking my beer.

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
1,547 Posts
Not if you have OCD. :)

Anyway, all the work happens at the gas station. Write it on the receipt. Stick in wallet. Enter in log later.

Reactions: Joe7299

·
Registered
114 Posts
I don't keep logs on my mileage per tank on my bikes, but I do get a receipt , write down the mileage before resetting the trip odometers, and figure out the mileage later. Before COVID, the traffic I rode in to work was @70 MPH average...now, if I'm not doing at least 80 MPH, I just about get run over!

·
Registered
3 Posts
With my 01 1100 classic i start looking for a gas station at 120 miles on the odo. Usually end up putting 3.5 gallons to fill up.
This is exactly what I do with my 2007 1100. I recently did a trip from Sylva, NC to Harrisburg, PA. Averaged about 75-80 mph from around Johnson City all the way north on 81. The one time I tried to push past 120, i coasted into the station at almost 130 miles, with reserve not touched.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This is exactly what I do with my 2007 1100. I recently did a trip from Sylva, NC to Harrisburg, PA. Averaged about 75-80 mph from around Johnson City all the way north on 81. The one time I tried to push past 120, i coasted into the station at almost 130 miles, with reserve not touched.
That was about my experience. I was also on I-81 when I had to switch to reserve

1 - 16 of 16 Posts