Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering what other owners have experienced. Yesterday the "fuel pump" idiot light went on; the odometer (as it should) started displaying mileage range; then it eventually indicated "Low". Pulled into a gas station and the tank took 5 gallons to top it off.

So did I still have over a gallon of gas left when I pulled into the gas station or is the fuel gauge indicator inaccurate? Anyone have similar experiences?

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I would probably check the owners manual on the tank specs. I assume you have fuel injection.
I would assume when the low light comes on you have 1/2 gal. On my old vtx when the low fuel light came on i had about 30 miles to go before i was out.
My Vstar has carbs and a reserve tank but has the same gauge as my vtx (trip odometer)

·
Registered
468 Posts
I have went 38 miles with my light on and pumped 6 gallons. I know the sytem is based on your average MPG so every light would not come on with 1 gallon left. I'll assume the light is set to come on with 50 miles range remaining, I really hammer mine and get 25 MPG, my ligt would come on with 2 gallons remaining. If you really babied yours and got 50 MPG, your light would come on when you had 1 gallon left. That being said I still think they built in additional reserve, which I like.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
I have went 38 miles with my light on and pumped 6 gallons. I know the sytem is based on your average MPG so every light would not come on with 1 gallon left. I'll assume the light is set to come on with 50 miles range remaining, I really hammer mine and get 25 MPG, my ligt would come on with 2 gallons remaining. If you really babied yours and got 50 MPG, your light would come on when you had 1 gallon left. That being said I still think they built in additional reserve, which I like.
You would be correct Rob @Bucfan11 .
The system monitors your fuel usage and adjusts WHEN your fuel fuel reserve kicks in to give you about 50 miles before BINGO.
If you baby it, you’re going to have less in Reserve cuz you don’t need as much to go the distance. If you romp on it all the time your fuel usage is greater and the reserve will kick in sooner so that you can go the distance.
THIS is WHY when you fill up cuz the light came on, you don’t always add the same amount to fill up. It depends on your usage.
The bike is smarter than we are!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi Guys! I have a 2010 XV1900 Raider and the tank only holds 4.2 gallons with a .85 reserve when the light comes on. I get anywhere between 30 & 35 MPG depending on how and where I drive. The thing that gets me is a 1900cc bike with such a small fuel capacity! When the light comes on I MUST find a gas station because I only have about 25 to 29 mile before I'm SOL! I only have about 140 miles per tank and it always seems like I'm in a gas station filling up! This really sucks on longer trips! It doesn't help that the previous owner installed a Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 1 exhaust with the fuelpak (which I love the look, sound & performance) I love the bike but it's funny when the wifey asks why there's all these gas station charges every few days! LOL

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
that is the thing about modifying a stock Vstar bike - the yamaha engineers did a really good job of tuning these bikes for emissions and fuel economy

and they have the equipment to get the air/fuel mixture exactly right for both. When you modify a bike without that equipment then you must err on the side of making the bike too rich,

because if you change things and its too lean, it will burn holes thru the tops of your pistons and destroy the valves.

Laws of physics remain in effect, you cannot get more HP by modifying a stock bike without needed to feed it more fuel.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Hi Guys! I have a 2010 XV1900 Raider and the tank only holds 4.2 gallons with a .85 reserve when the light comes on. I get anywhere between 30 & 35 MPG depending on how and where I drive. The thing that gets me is a 1900cc bike with such a small fuel capacity! When the light comes on I MUST find a gas station because I only have about 25 to 29 mile before I'm SOL! I only have about 140 miles per tank and it always seems like I'm in a gas station filling up! This really sucks on longer trips! It doesn't help that the previous owner installed a Vance & Hines Big Radius 2 into 1 exhaust with the fuelpak (which I love the look, sound & performance) I love the bike but it's funny when the wifey asks why there's all these gas station charges every few days! LOL
It was the same when i had my 1800 VTX. I am assuming that you didn't get a 1900 for the fuel milage. My light went on about 120-130 if i stood the bike up to get a full fill.

·
Registered
5,634 Posts
If the thought of running out of fuel keeps you up at night
goto a sporting goods / camping supply store, and get a spun alum or stainless steel 1 quart bottle designed to carry white gas fuel for backpacking stoves.

put a quart of gas in it, ethanol free if you can get it, otherwise add a bit of Seafoam to stabilize the fuel, and keep it in your saddle bag.

If you run your bike dry and it gets 35mpg, that quart will get you another 8 miles down the road - not far, but sure beats walking 8 miles and 8 miles back carrying a gas can.

When you carry stuff like extra gas, a fire extinguisher, first aid kit, drinking water... the odds are you will use it about 8 times to help other riders, before you need it yourself.

Usually the thing that will happen is not that you try to go 3 more miles and you dont make it, and run out...
Usually the bike will be low on gas, and you will just forget that you are on reserve, and keep riding...

for those of you with 2 cylinder bikes, put the gas bottle in the saddle bag that is not over your muffler

for those of use with quad independent exhaust :^) well... top of the saddle bag I guess....

·
Registered
28 Posts
No, I definitely did not buy the 1900 for fuel economy, I am 6'10" and I mainly bought it for #1 it's the greatest looking bike we've ever seen #2 it's big and it fits me well & #3 it's powerful!!! So I really have no complaints, I was just wondering! Thanks for all the input!

Remember to keep the rubber side down & the shiny side up!!!!

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
No, I definitely did not buy the 1900 for fuel economy, I am 6'10" and I mainly bought it for #1 it's the greatest looking bike we've ever seen #2 it's big and it fits me well & #3 it's powerful!!! So I really have no complaints, I was just wondering! Thanks for all the input!

Remember to keep the rubber side down & the shiny side up!!!!
I do agree why the tanks are so small on big bikes. My 1800 VTX only fit 4.5 gallons. But after 120 miles i was ready for a break cause i am not getting any younger..........but i am still real good looking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I've also seen alcohol free quart cans of premium gas for 4 cycle engines at yard equipment shops! That's a great idea on long trips! Thanks for the idea!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Agreed. I think the overall appearance of the Raider would also be enhanced with a beefier tank. My last bike an M90 was a 4.7 gl capacity but the tank was enormous.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts