Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks,

I have an 06 Roadliner with 2900 miles, bike has been running well but over the past week or so I'm smelling gas when I leave the bike in the garage. Maybe it's my extra sensitive k9 type senses but I can't seem to find the issue. Here's what I've eliminated so far:
1. It's not a hot bike issue, I always leave the bike to cool off outside before I roll it in.
2. I made sure I didn't overfill the tank, but in the past 2 fills I've been trying to sqeeze a little more fuel in after the pump stops which is probably a potential culprit.
3. I removed the tank to peek underneath and I don't see any leaks near the connectors or anything.
4. I don't smell anything near the fuel pump reservoir either.
5. I inspected the breather pipe on top of the tank (under the speedometer) and no sign of any prior spillage from it.
6. I installed a new gas cap (from amazon)
7. Taped the gas cap all the way to eliminate any vapors coming from it.

All the fuel lines look good, no sign of any brittleness etc,.

I've reaced the end of the Internet in pursuit to find the root cause. What am I missing? Any other pointers that y'all can provide?

·
Administrator - "Loose Nut" - Bandera, Texas
2001 VS1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD EG(totaled) 2006 Vulcan 900 and 2019 HD Freewheeler (current)
14,868 Posts
It’s a vented fuel cap. Smelling fuel is not unusual.

• Helpful
Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the stock cap. Also the cap doesn't vent, for the Liner's there is a vent pipe underneath the dash which runs down to the left side of the bike near the shifter. I made sure it's not blocked by blowing air from the top.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did read somewhere on a different forum that the Raiders and Roadliners have a faulty fuel level sensor which at times causes such smell issues. Can someone confirm if it's an actual 'thing' or just an urban legend.

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
385 Posts
Hello Folks,

I have an 06 Roadliner with 2900 miles, bike has been running well but over the past week or so I'm smelling gas when I leave the bike in the garage. Maybe it's my extra sensitive k9 type senses but I can't seem to find the issue. Here's what I've eliminated so far:
1. It's not a hot bike issue, I always leave the bike to cool off outside before I roll it in.
2. I made sure I didn't overfill the tank, but in the past 2 fills I've been trying to sqeeze a little more fuel in after the pump stops which is probably a potential culprit.
3. I removed the tank to peek underneath and I don't see any leaks near the connectors or anything.
4. I don't smell anything near the fuel pump reservoir either.
5. I inspected the breather pipe on top of the tank (under the speedometer) and no sign of any prior spillage from it.
6. I installed a new gas cap (from amazon)
7. Taped the gas cap all the way to eliminate any vapors coming from it.

All the fuel lines look good, no sign of any brittleness etc,.

I've reaced the end of the Internet in pursuit to find the root cause. What am I missing? Any other pointers that y'all can provide?
I have a 2014 the fuel caps are worthless it leaks the all do...same problem with mine
New cap next year same problem..

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So some smell is inevitable I expect that and it's been fine for a while but not this excessive. I kept it in the hot sun today to make sure any overflow gas from my overfill will evaporate. Also rode it for a couple of hours today so the tank is about 3/4ths. Let's see if this does the magic. You might be right @Strat man , I may have to live with it. If this doesn't work, time to get a garage exhaust installed.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Smells like a small leak from here. Try putting some colored construction paper under everything that can have fuel in it. If it drops it should leave a trail, even if it is evaporating...

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
385 Posts
So some smell is inevitable I expect that and it's been fine for a while but not this excessive. I kept it in the hot sun today to make sure any overflow gas from my overfill will evaporate. Also rode it for a couple of hours today so the tank is about 3/4ths. Let's see if this does the magic. You might be right @Strat man , I may have to live with it. If this doesn't work, time to get a garage exhaust installed.
If you solve this problem please let us know

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I rolled it into the garage last night after a long ride, plenty of time to cool off outside and all day sun bathing to evaporate any overflow gas. No luck, smell gas in the morning. I'm going to try and see if I can get the carbon filter that the CA models have and attach it to the end of breather hose to see if it helps.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I'm sure being an '06 it's probably got an EVAP system on it. Check the charcoal canister for flooding or cracks, and check all the connections and hoses for cracks / splits too.

Another thing - look around the garage at other equipment or gas cans. I've had this happen SEVERAL times where the source of the smell wasn't anywhere near what I thought it was from.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think I have traced the problem. It looks like the 2006 & 2007 have faulty fuel lines that tend to sweat fuel inside the sheathing sometimes. They have been updated since 2008. You can tell by the color, the faulty ones are grey and the updated. Here is a picture of mine and you can see some yellow residue, it's probably from dried up fuel additives. I haven't removed the tank yet to see if there is an actual leak. I'll do that tonight to

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks @SmittySmithsonite , I did have a gas can with some fuel it's fairly air tight no smell from it. I need to get rid of this fuel on my next campfire day. No mine does not seem to have the canister, only for the CA model. Here is a picture of one of the lines which has some yellow residue, I have to bet it's a sweaty fuel line. The leak is so minor that I don't see any trace of gasoline except the smell. Check out the arrow and some powedery stuff in the sheathing, I don't see this on the other lines. does anyone know where this line goes? I see two of them going into the pump, one going out of the pump to the injectors.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Hood Automotive exterior Gas

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quick update. I removed the gas tank and set aside on a table very carefully without disconnecting the fuel lines. About an hour or so during dinner I hear my wife scream there's gasoline running out of the garage. So it turns out the outside fuel line (the one to the left of rider that goes from tank to pump) is weak and it just broke right off. If your gas lines are gray and you're having a hard time troubleshooting, one of these lines are you culprits.

After a lot of cleanup, I replaced these two lines that run from the gas tank to the pump with some automotive fuel lines, since these are not pressurized, I got some fuel line from Orielly 7/16" size about 18 inches long and installed it with generic clamps, the OEM ones are hard to get off and its easy to just snap them off. Also be sure to remove the left cover so you can access the clamps for the supply line.

I took it on a 100 mile ride today and so far so good. Not much smell in the garage. Swapped out the air filter with K&N, I can feel engine is more responsive.

Lesson learned: Never try to set the gas tank aside without disconnecting the fuel lines. :)

·
Premium Member
2014 statoliner deluxe
385 Posts
Quick update. I removed the gas tank and set aside on a table very carefully without disconnecting the fuel lines. About an hour or so during dinner I hear my wife scream there's gasoline running out of the garage. So it turns out the outside fuel line (the one to the left of rider that goes from tank to pump) is weak and it just broke right off. If your gas lines are gray and you're having a hard time troubleshooting, one of these lines are you culprits.

After a lot of cleanup, I replaced these two lines that run from the gas tank to the pump with some automotive fuel lines, since these are not pressurized, I got some fuel line from Orielly 7/16" size about 18 inches long and installed it with generic clamps, the OEM ones are hard to get off and its easy to just snap them off. Also be sure to remove the left cover so you can access the clamps for the supply line.

I took it on a 100 mile ride today and so far so good. Not much smell in the garage. Swapped out the air filter with K&N, I can feel engine is more responsive.

Lesson learned: Never try to set the gas tank aside without disconnecting the fuel lines. :)
I always drain the gas tank before removing its lite and easy to handle. And then clean out any junk in it.

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
Super happy to hear you’ve solved this. I wasn’t following your woes but just saw it while surfing.

About a month after I had Covid, I smelled gasoline everywhere. Laying in bed, cooking breakfast, driving my electric car… EVERYWHERE!!

Glad to hear it wasn’t that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts