Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, in the process of taking the carbs off the bike, AGAIN! Both wires on both fuel shut off solenoids snapped as I was unscrewing them. Is there an alternate fix to buying new ones? Or should I just suck it up and pay for them?

Bear

2006 V-Star 1100 Silverado

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Wow...I actually checked the KB first, and I scrolled right past it. Facepalm!!!

So, if I only have slip-ons for exhaust, then I'm assuming I still need the shut-offs to work since I don't have a full aftermarket exhaust.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
You're in luck...I happen to have a fresh batch ready to go.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
they stop the fuel from flowing into the carbs, i think if you knocked the bike over while it was running they would shut off the fuel so then the bike would only run until the float bowls ran dry.
Actually I don't think there is a tip over switch on an 1100. I believe they are only there to keep the cats from getting flooded with fuel.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Actually I don't think there is a tip over switch on an 1100. I believe they are only there to keep the cats from getting flooded with fuel.
thats what what i thought at first so i checked clymers to be sure before i posted, and i misinterpeted what i read. actually clymers says the valves shut off the fuel whenever the main switch or shut off switch is turned off. i know i read rollover and flooding cats somewhere i removed all those parts when i got rid of the fuel pump..

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
$25 via PayPal to [email protected] will get it done. I can get it in the mail tomorrow...

·
Registered
176 Posts
thats what what i thought at first so i checked clymers to be sure before i posted, and i misinterpeted what i read. actually clymers says the valves shut off the fuel whenever the main switch or shut off switch is turned off. i know i read rollover and flooding cats somewhere i removed all those parts when i got rid of the fuel pump..
Interesting. My uncle has a Suzuki 1400 Intruder and he was told that the solenoid is triggered by power from the magneto. If the bike is dropped and quits running, it would shut off fuel. He was told it was not powered by the main switch because in an accident, the main switch may remain on, bike down and engine off. Cutting the fuel would be smart so no fuel spills out of carb onto hot surface possibly causing fire.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Got it...it's redy to rool out on Monday USPS Priority

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Got it...it's ready to rool out on Monday USPS Priority

1 - 17 of 17 Posts