Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First want to say hi to all of you. I have had my 1100 for three years now. I bought it off my father inlaw with 9000kms on it. The bike is near mint except for the scratch I but on the rear fender with my boot. :eek: and the fuel tank has three small dents in it from rocks :mad:. I really want to get these dents out. I have pulled the tank and fenders for painting but I am not sure how to remove these dents. Has anyone had any luck with this before?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Bondo

Bill,

Wonder if you can just use automotive body filler like Bondo? You would need to maintain the profile of the tank and get a fine finish but seems like it should work.

Keep a watch on E Bay sometimes a used one shows up there.

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was trying to stay away from filler. I have talked with a friend and I am going to start by stripping it down to bare metal and see where I'm at. I was trying to see if there was any way to remove the dents that was non intrusive but it appears the only way will be with a tack on style dent puller. They are very small dents but I am pretty picky.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
First want to say hi to all of you. I have had my 1100 for three years now. I bought it off my father inlaw with 9000kms on it. The bike is near mint except for the scratch I but on the rear fender with my boot. :eek: and the fuel tank has three small dents in it from rocks :mad:. I really want to get these dents out. I have pulled the tank and fenders for painting but I am not sure how to remove these dents. Has anyone had any luck with this before?
Don't know for sure because I haven't done it, but the boys tell me at least on the gas tank, the guys that do hail damage on cars and trks, can roll the dents out like new, no paint break ect.Might be something to look at.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did look in to paintless dent repair but it's not like you can just get to the inside of the dent and because the dent is so small and the gauge of steel used on the tank is thicker I am not sure that option would work.

Thanks for the ideas though. Keep them coming.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Dents

Good evening;

I have heard and there might even be U-Tube video of people using super cold refrigerants (computer cleaner) and a hair dryer to pop the dents out. :eek:

·
Registered
778 Posts
when i had a dent in my rocket take took it off empty it and hook up the air hose to the petcock and it popped out
I've heard of that too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts