Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my first-ever full-face helmet today and took an hour ride-around to try it out.

Have to say I'm favorably disposed. After years of avoiding it, I actually quite liked it. My fears about visibility were completely wiped out - I couldn't even see the edges of the 'glass' while wearing it. Plus I'm unexpectedly a fan of the more-enclosed feeling. For a cool-evening ride, it was actually a plus to be fully-encased. I'm typically a 'fair weather only' rider, but I can see this extending my 'season' by a few weeks or a month on each end...

I'm certainly keeping my old brain-bucket style helmet, and when I want that wind-in-my-face sensation, I'll swap it out. But certainly interesting that something I felt would be a 'sacrifice to safety' turned out to be something I like.

Only issue was fogging up if I don't leave it open a crack. Any suggestions there? Slap some Fog-X on it? Other?

Thanks,

Casey

·
Registered
417 Posts
I prefer to keep my face shield up a click to prevent the fogging on all but the coldest days. That fog is moisture that I'd rather leave the helmet. I'm thinking of going the other direction to a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet for summer.

·
Super Moderator
6,402 Posts
Casey I've used the rain-x anti fog on the inside of mine with good results, and I use regular rain-x on the outside for easy bug removal. Now I live in a fairly humid area, so the stuff helps me.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Crack it. Adds some noise but no big deal. Or look for an upgrade to a fog-free shield. If you will be using your FF frequently, you're going to want more than one shield anyway.

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Welcome to the debunked myths of helmets, and why people mistakenly don't wear them. :D Coming from a guy in a no helmet state. I like my full faced modular for many reasons. No wind in my eyes, at least compared to glasses, never tried goggles. No bumblebees smacking my mouth and making my face numb. After cleaning bug carcasses off my helmet, I now know what was on my face. I have the built in drop down shade, which is wonderful and that alone is worth its weight in gold. And since I have the modular, I can flip the entire thing up for long stops, or while I'm doning gear/backing out of my carport, etc, talking, smoking, drinking, while filling up gas, etc. I've seen pics and heard first account stories of face damage. I'll never NOT wear a full faced. Perhaps parade-type things. Also wind noise is reduced, which is a long term consideration for hearing loss. I'm already half deaf from the Army, I don't wanna wear a hearing aid when I'm 45.

And you're entirely right. These helmet guys know what they're doing, its human anatomy, you cannot see with your peripheral vision the sides of the visor. The only way you can is if you turn your eyes fully side to side, then you barely catch some of it. And of course, riding 101, turn your head, not your eyes.

Cracking it open one click clears the fog. When those conditions are out, usually its only a problem at stops, as soon as I take off I can close it and the fog stays gone... till the next stop. I also do it when its hot out, at stops, but then its usually fully open, and I close it after taking off again.

Go to your helmet manufacturers site on their care section regarding anti-fog stuff. Keeping up with re-applications on a helmet is too much work for me. Cleaning bugs off the outside isn't bad (but I'm lazy). But even removing the easy release visor on mine to wipe the inside clean is asking much. (cause I'm lazy) :D Even then I think the bug mess is gone now that I have a windshield, well, transferred to the shield.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've worn full-face helmets since I started riding eight years ago and don't see myself doing anything different. I like the protection they provide, both crash and elements. I even wear a Hi-Viz yellow one so everybody knows I'm a dork. :p

I've never had any visibility concerns, I see everything I need to. For the fog I just click it open a notch when I need to. I often leave it cracked open during the summer anyway for more air flow. I've got a model with the slide-down shades built in and really enjoy it.

I'm sure some Fog-X and Rain-X would be great additions but, honestly I've just never bothered. Probably more out of forgetfulness and laziness than anything.

ETA, with a full-face helmet I can grin like an imbecile and nobody sees me!

·
Registered
29 Posts
The flip down portion in a good deal of modular helmets, I like to call fighter pilot mode. LOL.

I myself wear a modular after years of wearing a full face and they are the only two options I would ever consider.

·
Registered
421 Posts
You might want to check with the maker of the helmet before you use Rain-X. Even the Rain-X bottle says it might damage some plastics. I have not tried it, but some have said Lemon Pledge furniture polish works pretty well.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Some helmets (like my Shoei X-11) have an extra vent that blows air down from the forehead pad across the inside of the faceshield. This works really well, especially when moving. Sitting at a long light on a cold day sometimes does require flipping the shield up until moving again.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
tried to find an existing thread to post this in, this one seems close enough

ran into the supermarket on the way to work the other day to get some coffee creamer

my visor was covered with bugs from riding the previous evening, and I had forgot to clean it before leaving for work

walking in I noticed the germophobe supply of alcohol wipes by the shopping carts, and thought: Perfect!

compared to the little wipes we have at work, these things are drenched in iso-propyl alcohol - cleaned the bugs off.. and then some!

I usually clean my visor with Windex - after the alcohol wipedown for the last few days I keep reaching up to close my visor after I stop, but its already closed. The visor is so clean it looks like its not there.

I have a bottle of 90% iso-propyl alcohol, and used it on the mirrors - same deal, so clean and clear its un-real.

I know the instructions that came with the helmet (and my windshield) say not to use anything but mild dish soap to clean them, but for the helmet visor Im going to keep using the iso-propyl - the difference is worth it, even if I do have to replace the visor every year or so.

I have also discovered, if you use it to clean a mirror in your house, like the mirror in the bathroom, the glass is so clear its like its not there - its like there is a person standing 5 feet away looking at you - its almost creepy.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
They sell it at Walmart in quart bottles for $2.

I never noticed it before (maybe its 95%) they had a whole stand of the stuff in the middle of the main isle in the pharmacy section.

I use it for deodorant, but I dont know what other people are using it for. Apparently they sell of lot of the stuff.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I know Shoei sells an insert that gives you a "dual pane" effect and I hear it greatly reduces fog, even at a stop. I never tried it since I have a Bilt FF but I was wondering if anyone tried buying the Shoei anti-fog insert on other helmet brands? My mind thinks the difference in FF Shields couldn't be that different but Shoei sells different inserts for different helmets making it apparent the insert is specific to the shield. If anyone tried this, please let us know.

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
^ Yes, I have two HJC helmets and they both have the pinlock anti fog inserts

I used it on the first one I had - it works well when its cold to keep your breath from fogging the visor, esp when you stop

but I wear glasses, and my glasses would fog up anyway, so I still need to crack the visor open when its cold and damp to keep my glasses clear.

Its another layer of plastic between you and the world outside, it does reduce the clarity of your vision a bit more, and at night it will create more glare. I would not leave it in the visor (or would buy a 2nd visor) when its not needed.

The insert left an oval layer of something, looks like silcone, on the inside of the visor - its some kind of seal between the visor and the 2nd lens to maintain the gap between them. I could not get that off after I took the pinlock insert out for the summer. The instructions did not say it, but I think once you put the insert on a visor you are suppose to keep in on forever.

My 2nd HJC carbon fiber RPHA full face helmet came with one. I have not used it.

Good time to point out - if you get the anti fog inserts you cannot clean or wipe them with anything, certainly not alcohol, it will remove the antifog layer. Maybe you can wipe them with mild dish soap, but dont use anything else on any 'antifog' visor surface.

Also... I think iso-propyl alcohol will work well on a windshield too, they should be the same plastic as a visor - but have not tried it yet.

My windshields mostly stay in the garage, only come out for the cold and the rain.

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Thanks for the details KCW. That's (one of) the beauties of this site, good knowledge and experience to share. And, after hearing all the details, I think I'll just keep flipping my shield up when stopped. :)

Save some money.

·
Administrator
13,283 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
I prefer to keep my face shield up a click to prevent the fogging on all but the coldest days. That fog is moisture that I'd rather leave the helmet. I'm thinking of going the other direction to a 3/4 or 1/2 helmet for summer.
Look at a Nolan N100/5 convertible. I just got one...and highly recommend...you want full face protection...from wind, cold, or er...road rash? You have it... You want the cool feeling of wind upon your cheeks? Keep the chin bar up...and you have a great 3/4. Great for gas, butt, food, water breaks, without having to pull off the whole helmet...

...it's my first from always having one full face, and one 3/4....now...just one helmet...that does both!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts