Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new helmet and finding it tough to find one that will fit (my wife has always in am big headed) in a full face.
I am considering going to a 3/4 helmet as they seem a little easier to find in the larger sizes.
In the past I have only wore full face helmets. Any pros/cons to going to a 3/4 helmet?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Have you considered a modular full face? I have a XL modular HJC. I've noticed that if I pop it open to 3/4 its alot easier to put on and take off than a regular full face. I probably could have got away with a large because of this, but it might have been a little snug. I really like the interated visor too. This way I don't need a dark and a clear visor.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered a modular full face? I have a XL modular HJC. I've noticed that if I pop it open to 3/4 its alot easier to put on and take off than a regular full face. I probably could have got away with a large because of this, but it might have been a little snug. I really like the interated visor too. This way I don't need a dark and a clear visor.
I have looked at modulars. Problem is I need a 3X. (did I mention I'm big headed). Needless to say finding a dealer that has a selection of that size in stock is not easy to locate. With that I am relegated to trusting the varying internet sizing charts. I am just wondering what preferences everybody has with a full face or 3/4 helmet.
I went down hard a few years ago and my gear saved my life, so riding without a helmet is not an option.

·
Registered
570 Posts
My Ducati riding physician strongly recommended a full face over 3/4 for safety reasons. Fulls offer much better protection of the face, and he referenced some study that showed injuries to the face were fairly common in accidents.

I have a full and a 3/4 (I wear rarely, just around town) the full is certainly warmer in the winter and the wind noise is less, although the latter may be more a function of the helmet style and fit.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Yea bud, that's a big lid. I really don't have anything to compare to. I'm a new rider. I will say I am very comfortable in my full face though.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I haven't used a 3/4 skid lid since the mini bike days back in the 70's.I use a full face or a 1/2 lid.Been thinking about the modular helmets,they seem very versatile.I like the 2 shades that come down clear or dark.It would also be good for a rider/passenger intercom system.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
239 Posts
I found a full face helemt in my size that I liked last night, so I went ahead and ordered it.
Here is a link to the site I ordered from in case someone else may have the same issue in the future. Hopefully their sizing chart is accurate.

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/Vega-Motorcycle-Helmets?gclid=CPPBkfDGxa0CFdGR7QodpWp7BA
Your link doesn't take you to a particular helmet. I have two Vega helmets - one 3/4 and one Summit II modular. The sizing was right on for me. I wear the 3/4 in the hot weather and the modular all the rest of the time. I prefer the modular since I've seen charts which show that 38% of the hits are on the right & left jaw and the chin. The Summit II doesn't have the flip down sun shield but I replaced the clear shield with a dark shield. I carry the clear shield in my saddle bags for when I get caught out after dark. Which model did you buy? Let us know how it works out.

:)

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your link doesn't take you to a particular helmet. I have two Vega helmets - one 3/4 and one Summit II modular. The sizing was right on for me. I wear the 3/4 in the hot weather and the modular all the rest of the time. I prefer the modular since I've seen charts which show that 38% of the hits are on the right & left jaw and the chin. The Summit II doesn't have the flip down sun shield but I replaced the clear shield with a dark shield. I carry the clear shield in my saddle bags for when I get caught out after dark. Which model did you buy? Let us know how it works out.

:)
I ordered the Vega Attitude and it should be here Friday.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I've a fairly substantial "girth" with my squash too. The best full face I found that fits snug AND comfortable was the Shoie RF series helmets.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The helmet showed today. Glad I read several of the reviews. Many said the Vega helemt sizing run a little big. I ordered one size smaller and it's a perfect fit!!!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've got a super-large head, too and I have trouble finding helmets to fit. I'd prefer a modular helmet over a full-face because it makes it so much easier to talk to people when stopped for gas or at a red light. But I haven't found a modular large enough for me. The closest I got was one that fit on my head perfectly, until I dropped the chin guard and visor, and then I couldn't breathe! For that reason, I wear a 3/4 w/face shield during the cooler months and a police-style 1/2 helmet during the summer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a huge head 3xl and I wear an HJC CL16 and love it...I had the CL15 before that and had no problems it made a full 5 years...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts