Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So on Monday I found myself, for a not-so-well-defined-reason, a few hundred miles from home ( but fortunately, as it turned out only 45 from the hotel), when the throttle cable of my 09 Vstar 1300 Tour decided that I needed an infusion of some excitement in my life and took the opportunity to part itself. US 411 in Georgia at that point was deserted so I didn't have to dodge traffic as I coasted to the shoulder followed by my wife who these days follows my wanderings in her car. ( I say "these days" because 3 years ago after 40 years riding on the back, she concluded that she'd had enough of the wind-in-your-hair-bugs-in-your-teeth-rain-in-your-face events that combine to provide a portion of the fascination riders have for their transportation mode, and opted for the climate-controlled comfort of her car.) Once I found that the throttle "pull" cable had parted at its end at the slot in the handlebar control, I was able to use some tools from the toolkit I always have on the bike to reposition the "push" cable to serve as a temporary "pull" cable and made it back to the hotel without incident. Did some internet searching and found 15 dealers within a reasonable radius of the hotel and, with a confidence later proven to be misplaced, assured myself that a replacement cable from the dealer would be easily forthcoming, especially since the closest dealer was only 10 minutes from the hotel and whose website boasted any number of bragadocious awards for sales, service and technical certification and knowhow. Next morning, armed with the necessary part numbers ( I'd decided the prudent thing would be to get the cables I needed to replace both of the throttle cables and the clutch cable since all were the same age and one had failed already) I gave the information to the parts guy..... who told me they weren't in stock at his dealership.....that none of the other dealers were showing any....and that the earliest he could even place the order was January due to production estimates. Disappointed and being far from home, I couldn't hang around 'til January so I made my own calls to other dealers. The answer "not in stock" was the same from them all, but a couple offered the encouragement of ordering the parts whose delivery date varied from "sometime after 35 business days" to "I can have it for you Friday" but at an unreasonable price, of course. So I determined to check sources online from whom I'd ordered in the past....and now comes the point of my narrative.... I not only located the Yamaha OEM items in stock, but at a price lower than MSRP and with a delivery date mere days hence. No brainer. The kicker is that this supplier is only about 75 miles from the original Yamaha dealer I went to, the one who told me January was earliest he could order. So now you want to know from whom I got the parts, these hard-for-the-motorcycle-dealer-to-obtain motorcycle parts? Boats.net. BOATS??? Yep. I do NOT have any association with this supplier other than as a consumer and have no advantage from that other than the good service and prices I've received from them. And, oh, yeah, I placed the order on Wednesday and they were delivered to my home in North Carolina today, Saturday. And for those of you who've made it this far, the "fix" I made by rerouting the "push" cable to the "pull" position functioned well and the 446 mile trip home went without incident. (I forgot to mention that before I ordered the cables I bought a solder gun, flux, solder and a couple ferules and made a repair to the broken end of the original "pull" cable and used that for the "push" cable for the trip home.) The funny part is that I also ride an older Moto Guzzi, but don't venture real far from home on it because parts are not so easy to find and a break down on the road might be stressful (!) . Matter of fact, that's one reason I bought the Yamaha: extensive dealer network and parts availability. Silly me.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Boats.net is part of the Partzilla network. Partzilla is in southern Georgia, so not far for shipping to you. I use them for most parts , I am in Pensacola and shipping to me is pretty quick also.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm a bit confused...I visited the boats.net site and it appears to have nothing to do with motorcycle parts. I don't even see where you can search for motorcycle parts in terms of searching by part category. For instance typing in "throttle cable" in the search section brings up ZERO motorcycle cable choices.

If Partzilla is who your part was provided by, why would anyone use Boats.net? Please clarify....:unsure:

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
If you google a part number it will come up with Boats.net and you can click on it and order the part through them.
But like I said they are part of Partzilla: Just look at location and hours of operation

·
Registered
718 Posts
Wouldn’t be shocked if that same throttle cable was used on a personal watercraft which is why if you have the part number you were able to obtain the part from boats.net. I’ll have to remember company that though for when I need boat parts!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you google a part number it will come up with Boats.net and you can click on it and order the part through them.
But like I said they are part of Partzilla: Just look at location and hours of operation
The only problem with Google and using it for a part number search is you have to know the part number. I want a web site I can search by category and perhaps bike make, year and model to find what is offered and then buy it, not have to go through some boat site after finding the part number some place else.

Partzilla appears to be the place to go for hard to find parts in stock.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,009 Posts
The only problem with Google and using it for a part number search is you have to know the part number. I want a web site I can search by category and perhaps bike make, year and model to find what is offered and then buy it, not have to go through some boat site after finding the part number some place else.

Thanks.
Totally agree that one place to look up part, order part and get a fair price is the easiest way. But at times when one supplier is out, it's nice to have another source. My take away on this is the customer service and part availability was excellent from boats.net. The way I understand it Partzilla and Boats.net might be owned by the same corporation, they operate separate companies.

Reactions: bluev11ev

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
1,107 Posts
@bluev11ev it is good to hear a story that works out in the end even if the middle is rough.

As for the wife following behind in a cage, how does she fill about a long bed pickup with bike ramps? Could solve the Moto Guzzi concern too...

·
Registered
2000 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic Canadian Edition
25 Posts
Great story! Super glad it worked out in the end. I've had good luck with cheapcycleparts.com for OEM replacement parts (mind you that was when I was mudding on my quad and not biking...haven't had to use it yet for bike parts "knock on wood"). Good diagrams with part numbers as well if you want to know what part you need. For aftermarket parts I usually end up at fortnine.ca (I'm not sure if they ship south of the boarder or not). Again, great prices with solid deliveries.

Cheers

Cheese

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks.
I have used Yamaha Parts House ( www.yamahapartshouse.com ) to get parts numbers and prices in the past. Their site lists Yamaha parts from 1962 to the present complete with diagrams and is easy to navigate and may meet your demands/needs more readily than the site I have mentioned. Being retired, I have more time than some people have to spend searching for parts, so don't mind the effort. Finding a good price also is its own reward, but some people don't share my particular appreciation for "value". For example, the dealer who quoted me "35 business days" also quoted $38 for one of the throttle cables. The price for that cable from the source I used was $18. Same part number, same OEM part in Yamaha packaging. For me, it was worth it to shop around.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@bluev11ev it is good to hear a story that works out in the end even if the middle is rough.

As for the wife following behind in a cage, how does she fill about a long bed pickup with bike ramps? Could solve the Moto Guzzi concern too...
Problems are less intimidating when viewed as merely opportunities for finding solutions. Boog, I thank you for your suggestion !!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

View attachment 99530

View attachment 99531
I found that out when I was snooping around for the parts I needed. What bothered me was some old info, old negative reviews of Partzilla for poor customer service while the reviews for Boats(and my own prior experience with them) were favorable. Long story short: got my parts quickly as promised, priced favorably for me, better service than Yamaha dealers could provide. Receipt is marked "Partzilla.com/Boats.net". Thanks for your replies, Jspree.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have used Yamaha Parts House ( www.yamahapartshouse.com ) to get parts numbers and prices in the past. Their site lists Yamaha parts from 1962 to the present complete with diagrams and is easy to navigate and may meet your demands/needs more readily than the site I have mentioned. Being retired, I have more time than some people have to spend searching for parts, so don't mind the effort. Finding a good price also is its own reward, but some people don't share my particular appreciation for "value". For example, the dealer who quoted me "35 business days" also quoted $38 for one of the throttle cables. The price for that cable from the source I used was $18. Same part number, same OEM part in Yamaha packaging. For me, it was worth it to shop around.
Thanks, I've bookmarked that site for future reference. I wasn't aware of it.

·
Registered
2003 Vstar 1100 Silverado
52 Posts
Glad you made it through bluev11ev.

I've used Partzilla and have found their prices either in-line or better than most. I like the breakdown diagrams too and haven't had any issues with them. Just placed an order this morning from them actually.

From their website:
About Our Parent Company
Partzilla.com is part of the Outdoor Network (ODN), a group of websites, authorized dealerships, and major distribution facilities dedicated to the sale of original manufacturer (OEM) and aftermarket parts. For nearly two decades, ODN has been hustling to help you find the right upgrade, fit, or fix. We work hard, we play hard, and we are honored to serve dedicated outdoor enthusiasts like you. To this day, Partzilla.com and Boats.net have shipped more than 5 million orders!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for the info, and a great read! I'm impressed that you solder cable ends, I haven't seen anyone do that in 30 years. The owner of a Honda dealer I used to work for did vintage road racing and would have to make his own cables using a heated pot full of solder and dipping the cable and ends.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the info, and a great read! I'm impressed that you solder cable ends, I haven't seen anyone do that in 30 years. The owner of a Honda dealer I used to work for did vintage road racing and would have to make his own cables using a heated pot full of solder and dipping the cable and ends.
Thank you for the compliment. Growing up in a family of very limited means I learned to appreciate the value of repairing and/or repurposing, since there was not any room in the family budget for simply replacing a broken item. If it couldn't be fixed, we did without. Necessity being the mother of invention, creative remedies were sought with an enthusiasm sometimes born of desperation, but, not infrequently, also from mere curiosity. "What happens if I do this?" "Will it work if I do that?" When success followed, there were the multiple joys provided by the remedy, new knowledge, a sense of accomplishment and added confidence. Well, years pass and circumstances change, but let me tell you that on more than one occasion, Life has reminded me that I wasn't born poor for nothing (!)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thank you for the compliment. Growing up in a family of very limited means I learned to appreciate the value of repairing and/or repurposing, since there was not any room in the family budget for simply replacing a broken item. If it couldn't be fixed, we did without. Necessity being the mother of invention, creative remedies were sought with an enthusiasm sometimes born of desperation, but, not infrequently, also from mere curiosity. "What happens if I do this?" "Will it work if I do that?" When success followed, there were the multiple joys provided by the remedy, new knowledge, a sense of accomplishment and added confidence. Well, years pass and circumstances change, but let me tell you that on more than one occasion, Life has reminded me that I wasn't born poor for nothing (!)
I find it rewarding to repair stuff as well, even if it's no big deal to replace. I have an old lamp that clips to the edge of a desk, and the nuts at the ends of the neck had loosened up over the years. It turned out that I had to remove the wires from the socket and then pull the wire out of the neck to get to the bottom nut, so I figured "what the heck" and went ahead and tried it. I managed to get it fixed, and I'm glad I didn't waste a functional item even if it could be replaced for probably $5.00.

·
Super Moderator
7,531 Posts
I recently ordered a fuel sensor level from Partzilla for the RoadStar because my fuel gauge wasn’t working, and was tired of the amber light in the instrument panel flashing, and guess what box it came in? Yep, boats.net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts