Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't really know where to post this, feel free to move it. Anyway, was just going to let anyone know if you are thinking about getting a new paint job or want anything painted. Try to find someone in your area that does hydro-dipping. It's just is durable and there are literally thousands of designs you can go with. It also is a lot cheaper to get done! Had a guy quote me $500 to dip my 650 with the fairing. Asked a guy that painted what it would cost and he wanted $1250 for my bike. Looked at some more, most dippers wanted $500-$700. Painters wanted $1000-$1500.
BTW: Comment your favorite design. These are the designs I am thinking about doing
1. https://ibb.co/eyPbhm
2. https://ibb.co/bxhka6
3. https://ibb.co/jPCka6

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
fortunately the vinyl wallpaper "woody" cruiser bike is something that never happened

I lived through the 60s, thats all I have to say about that!

I had to google hydro dipping to see what this is - its been around since the 1980's

the patterns are not an effect of the process, you can put anything that can be printed on a sheet of paper onto a 3D surface.

here is a great video on eweTube:

·
Registered
909 Posts
I lived through the faux wood atrocities perpetuated on family station wagons and it doesn't look any better on a motorcycle gas tank. The style may be different from what you might see on bikes nowadays but the old wooden clogs concept isn't any less goofy if you apply it to the latest in running shoe styles.

As far as "hydro-dipping" is concerned, yeah that's nothing new. Although it didn't have that name back when I was doing it, it was a process I used in the early 90's (I was late to the game) to make custom textures on various items using a cold bath of water and strategically placing and manipulating strategic designs/patterns of oil paints (in this case One-Shot lettering enamel) to replicate the old styles of paper marbling that was used for centuries in making and aesthetically enhancing leather bound books. In the early 90's when I attempted to apply those earlier 'book printing' principals to motorcycles and cars as an alternative to the traditional pin-striping and graphic practices, by which I made a living, the reception was less than favorable. I guess it was too weird for the times. My mentor the late great and notable pin-striper, Mark "Top Hat" Fenyo, told me to just stick with it because fashion and trends is just a matter of money and marketing. I folded in favor of a career in Information Technology.

I guess this is a better time than naught to commemorate the passing of a true artist who I'm proud to say was a mentor... Mark "Top Hat" Fenyo... RIP bro.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Ive never seen anyone do that before - At first I thought he was using an air brush

I never knew you could put down a line 6 feet long with one brush stroke - thats very impressive.

the sick thing about the faux woody cars in the 60s is there were cars that had wooden body parts in the 50s'. A friend of mine had an english estate wagon, it was a work of craftsmanship - the fake ones had no merit in any way.

·
Registered
909 Posts
... I never knew you could put down a line 6 feet long with one brush stroke - thats very impressive...
It's a matter of loading a good brush like a Mack™ Sword Stripper brush with paint and anticipating its bristle length and flow characteristics to obtain the perfect line.

A friend of mine had an english estate wagon, it was a work of craftsmanship - the fake ones had no merit in any way...
When it comes to wood there's a big difference between real and faux. They're like breasts... they may look good from afar but up close they can be far from good.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
I dont remember who it was, a few months ago someone posted photos of the chrome on their speedo and the front of the bike.

In the first couple photos you could see the plywood in the ceiling of his garage reflected in the chrome, and it looked cool.

In the rest of the photos reflected in the chrome you could see he was nearly naked and wearing his underwear when he took the photos.

I wish the internet had an "UnSee" button.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts