Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious who the guys are out there that do alot of their own service on their stratoliners.....oil changes, transfer case oil changes, belt adjustments etc....

myself, I like to do alot my self and was wondering how those out there found this bike to work on....

cheers
Papa d

·
Registered
422 Posts
So far just routine maint and a few mods but nothing an average guy with the average tools couldn't do. I don't find this bike any harder to work on than any other bike I've owned.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I do all my own work from oil,brakes,tires,belt,exhaust,plugs ect. I like working on it seems to be user friendly. Doing engine work is a little cramped for room but that's a whole lot of motor.

·
Banned
1,741 Posts
IMHO, the oil change is the worst I've ever had to contend with. Whomever positioned the oil sump plugs should be neutered with a dull spoon.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've only got 7,000 and change on this one. Other then moving the jack for drains on oil change. everything else seems doable. I have done transfer case and oil. Plus exhaust passing lights, fairing....other mods..just takes time..haven't got to tires yet but looks similar to roadstar so should be good to go.
Ride Safe

·
Registered
5 Posts
IMHO, the oil change is the worst I've ever had to contend with. Whomever positioned the oil sump plugs should be neutered with a dull spoon.
What he said. Both the drain plug location and oil check procedure should have gotten someone fired... or at least viciously beaten with an empty oil bottle. Otherwise, it's not a bad bike to work on. I've never done any internal engine work on it, but everything else is pretty standard. Next is suspension... I've done oil seals in the forks, but I think the shock is going bad (the bike is starting to wallow in fast sweepers). I'm also planning to add cartridge emulators to the forks and maybe heavier springs...

I'll stop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts