Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked on the epoxy glassing of the center section for my trike. First attempt fizzled and ended in the garbage can. Live and learn. Decided to go the old and proven way by tapping the laminates down with a paint brush and just working the resin around. I mixed up 184 grams of epoxy resin at a time which I could saturate the laminate mat just as the pot life was being reached. Kept doing that over several hours, let it set a while, and placed it mold in the sun. Put it in the garage over night and popped it out of the mold today and almost peed in my pants it came out so good. A few minor repairs to do, wash the PVA mold release off, and sand, then paint. Here are a few pictures showing it sitting in place on the bike. Will finish the mounting tomorrow. When my fiberglass supplies arrive, two fenders are next. The tail light is in it's temporary location to continue riding while working the bike.
Tried the drag and drop file upload, but it didn't work for me.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

Now that I glassed a new center section of the "correct" size, I have make a lot of progress. The pictures show the tail light buckets molded into the fenders, body supports in position, and center body where I plan to lay down some Cypress strips, capped off with led lights, for the "woody" look. I found a large piece of quarter-sawn Cypress which I'll also make some fender skirts, foot board inserts, and speedometer console from. Don't want to go overboard with the wood and I think those parts will be just enough. The red around the tail light buckets is glazing putty for filling pin holes in the body putty.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Exciting to watch the progress in-making! Have seen many trikes in past at Americade (NY) but never realized the work of designing and building one....thank you for sharing. Looking forward to the end result! YammyV

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
800 or so miles

Finished an 800 or so mile road trip with the mods and body. Things went really well and the body/fenders held up great. In fact the only thing that went wrong is my bike now displays error code 37 again (that dang thing in the neck I think), and the right foot rest broke. Oh well, at least what I fabricated held together! Now to do a lot of sanding and painting. Got to get her ready for a trip to St. Louis at the end of June....

·
Registered
510 Posts
Finished an 800 or so mile road trip with the mods and body. Things went really well and the body/fenders held up great. In fact the only thing that went wrong is my bike now displays error code 37 again (that dang thing in the neck I think), and the right foot rest broke. Oh well, at least what I fabricated held together! Now to do a lot of sanding and painting. Got to get her ready for a trip to St. Louis at the end of June....
Do you have finished pics?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In Work

Right now the bike has been stripped down. I've primed and sanded the body and will be sanding the front fender, fuel tank, and side trim pieces over the next few days. With luck, the weekend of the 21st I'll be painting it. I'll post some pics of the primed parts and after painting. Of course if they come out looking like poo, I won't show it!:grin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts