Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been super busy finishing my Stratoliner. The trike axle has proven itself on several road trips and the fiberglass body I built is almost finished being painted. The color was supposed to be a Sunset Red which is gold base with transparent red over that. White stripes with gold pin-stripping to complete it. Well, being so dang shade blind and wanting to do it myself, I sprayed far too much red and completely blocked the gold from showing through. After much deliberation (and the Mrs putting in her two cents), I started to sand the paint down to repaint everything. Here is where a screw-up leads to a better paint scheme. Karen saw the parts I was sanding and loved the distressed look. So I finished sanding everything, pin stripped them, and began clear coating. While I can't see any gold, everyone that sees it loves the look. So do I, even if it appears white, silver, and red to me!!! Here are a few picture of the side panels, tank, and front fender installed. Haven't clear coated the body yet.
First time pin-stripping and painting in over 30 years....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
99.99% Finished

Is anything ever really completed? Thus 99.99% done. Been riding and doing great. The only glitch is that blasted ISC valve sticking which I will eliminate in the near future. I have a resistor on the LED lights on the back so they are at half power when riding. Don't really see them during the day but visible at night. The three LED strips either side of center flash with the turn signals at full brightness. I added a third brake light with the red strip around the trunk. Enjoy the pictures.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grage Trike

Okay, so I wanted to look up the build of the trike and saw your earlier posts. I have to ask is this the same Strat. that you said you wife will not let you modify in this post http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/479066-post324.html ? LOL
Uhhhh. Maybe?:rolleyes:

Yes it is. The Mrs. didn't want me to modify it, so everything is removable and I can have the Stratoliner back on two wheels in one weekend. Of course I would have to paint the original rear fender to match. So technically, I didn't modify the bike as much as I "accessorized" it. But I did bribe her a bit by fabricating some saddle bag brackets and installed the Stratoliner bags to her Roadstar. She loves the way they look on her bike. Finally! After three sets of bags.....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finsihed

Been putting a lot of miles on the Stratoliner. Few things must be addressed such as seat comfort, cut and re-weld handlebars from time they broke in two, add auxiliary fuel tank since I will pull a small trailer for long trips, and remove/replace tank chrome trim that is falling off.
I did look into the hard starting yesterday and see many riders had the fuel pump housing crack allowing fuel pressure to drop. Tested my fuel pressure and was getting only 25 psi! Removed the pump and found a four inch crack in the same location other show. Seems Yamaha would send repair kits to riders with this common problem. Using a soldering iron and a zip tie for extra material, I melted/welded the crack closed, tested, and got 60 psi which slowly dropped to 45 psi after the pump shut off. Now I can get it started with one try and no more popping when shifting from first to second and then third.
My daughter loves riding the Strat and even tells me to park it at her house. (Yes she lives that close to us!) My wife rode it and when we stopped to fill up, jumped on her bike which I was riding, and said it was hurting between her shoulders. She likes the way it rides but not the fact you DRIVE a trike using muscles a two wheeler does not use. Didn't and doesn't bother me since I'm accustomed to it and ride my Ural a lot.
I'd like to extend the forks out another 12 inches for a bit of the chopper look, but the tubes and triple tree cost is out of my budget of "doing it myself".
Now watch out all you two wheelers. I just might get her all cleaned up and enter her in the bike of the month. Seems like a shoe-in since I'm one up on the wheels!!!:grin:

Last, just a thank you to all who have replied, helped, and commented on my bike. Even those replied I didn't receive helped by making me think "out of the box". Hope Thanksgiving went well as mine did, and Merry Christmas.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts