Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
now is a good time for all you v star owners to get a Phillips screwdriver and some fingernail polish- remove your gas cap- tighten the two screws on the bottom of the cap and dab some fingernail polish on them. If you don't they will wind up in the bottom of your tank for sure:eek:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
now is a good time for all you v star owners to get a Phillips screwdriver and some fingernail polish- remove your gas cap- tighten the two screws on the bottom of the cap and dab some fingernail polish on them. If you don't they will wind up in the bottom of your tank for sure:eek:
Good point, I was a year or two into my Silverado, a friend told me about that, I checked and sure enough they were loose, hadn't fell out yet, but would have at some point.:(

·
Registered
305 Posts
Wow, I did not know this was an issue! I'm gonna go check mine right now!

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
gas cap

Don't know how often this gas cap thing comes up but I have seen several posts about it. It is a problem that is easy to fix. If it comes apart you will be fishing for parts in the tank. I would check it.

Dave

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sounds like a scare tactic. there's a difference in saying it's a known issue and saying this will definitely happen with any vstar that everyone owns. where did you hear about this?
A scare tactic- FOR WHAT?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Dang! Thanks for reminding me, was going to do that today after I did my wash/polish.....three drops of med lock-tite (blue).....DONE, and by the way THEY WERE BOTH LOOSE.
Thanks again for reminding us, saved me from fishing the bottom of the cap & screws out of the tank.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I read this post and went and checked the cap on my 09 1100. It has under 100 miles on it. Much to my surprise, both screws were about 2 turns loose. I took them out, put some lock-tite on them and they should be good to do now. A little prevention now, might save a ton of headaches later.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'll be darned. Mine were loose too! I never heard anything about it, but sure glad it was mentioned here! I had some Lock-Tite, so it's all fixed up now! That would have sucked to have it fall apart on a Sunday afternoon 500 miles from home....

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Dan, as you can see from the other posts, you done good. Thanks for letting the folks know of a real issue, some riders were not aware of it. Good info on the forum here.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts