Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
Have you watched this video? Gas pretty good up close shits that might help. Something I still do today after years of wrenching, take pictures when taking apart. On jobs I've done many times, no, but on a job it's been awhile, yes.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i think my choke rod is bent. bc it doesnt slide very easy if at all. i checked that hose. i had a old o ring that was bad so i replaced all 4 on ghat connector. so i hope that fixes that.pblm but if i dont put the bar on the choke slides some. but when i put the bracket on and its strait an solid. that metal choke rod slider whatever ya wanna call it. wont slide....i removed the rod from the carbs. and the plungers work ok..so im thinkin a bent choke slide .so will replace that an go from there. ...i had noticed a week or so ago. my choke was sorta stubborn. probably the culprit. i dunno. seldom have to use it ti start my bike ....

·
Registered
2005 VStar 1100 Silverado
4 Posts
I had the same issue with the choke rod sticking after I rebuilt my carburetor. added a bit of lithium grease to all the rotational points and didn't help. It would move a bit but then stick, then pop out all the way.

What did help was taking off the screw that holds on the brass bracket that attaches to the linkage arm and plunger. It's the screw marked 50 in this screen shot from partzilla (2005 Yamaha V STAR 1100 SILVERADO (XVS11ATT) Carburetor | Yamaha Sports Plaza). This is difficult to describe in a forum post, but I had to hold that bracket at a certain angle when I tightened the screw. There's a little key recess to line it up, but trusting that alone wasn't sufficient. Even when lined up there is still a bit of play. I had to lean the piece to one side (still keyed in of course, just pressed laterally) while tightening. It's a really slight adjustment, but it altered the alignment enough to change angle of rotation and the linkage moved much smoother.

So maybe try holding that piece at different angles as you tighten it down and see if that smoothes out the action. You can do this while the linkage is still attached so just play with it and see what works best for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts