Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the stratoliner deluxe with 18,5K on it. I'm noticing that my gas mileage has been decreasing. Isued to get about 140 miles on the tank but now it dropped to about 110 to 115 miles. I changed the air filter and spark plugs haven't noticed a difference. Anyone with ideas?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Corn in gas = 20+% drop in milage which means you buy more gas, great savings huh.
Thank the goverment for this.
There are still some stations that sell real gas, check and see if you can find one.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Corn in gas = 20+% drop in milage which means you buy more gas, great savings huh.
Thank the goverment for this.
There are still some stations that sell real gas, check and see if you can find one.
I don't see much of a drop (around 1mpg) when I use Ethanol added fuel. I'm usually around 40 mpg, and I still see right about 152-155 for a 4 gallon fill up. 20% seems rather excessive.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Funny.... I average about an additional 10-15 miles per tank when I run the NON-ADDITIVE fuel, some say B.S. but my wallet will ALWAYS beg to differ...

·
Registered
389 Posts
This is well documented, the AMA has a form letter to state congressmen to stop 15% Ethanol from coming onto the market.
Ethanol does bad things in gas.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have the stratoliner deluxe with 18,5K on it. I'm noticing that my gas mileage has been decreasing. Isued to get about 140 miles on the tank but now it dropped to about 110 to 115 miles. I changed the air filter and spark plugs haven't noticed a difference. Anyone with ideas?
I think its the winter mix gasoline. I drop mpg's every year about this time.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Addative

I saw some talk about an addative for Ethanol gasoline. Suposed to offset the affects. Including octain. I don't seem to have saved it. Here is one. I don't believe it is the one talked about.

http://www.valvtect.com/ethanol.asp

Mark,

I saw a drop in mileage a few years ago but, I hve not seen a change in the last three years. You might try some fuel system cleaners.

Dave

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Do you guys have a winter grade fuel.We get stuck with a highly oxygenated fuel for the winter which drops the mpgs 3 to 5. They say it's better for the air,but I don't see how using more fuel is better fir the air. Just a thought where your fuel could be going.

·
Registered
845 Posts
It would depend if you always got gas at the same station and always got gas without ethanol in it, unlikely, yes I know. But no question about it, easy loss of 15% of your gas mileage with 10% Ethanol gas.

·
Registered
451 Posts
on a related note, there are like 6 pure gas stations in my tiny town. They agree [email protected] ethanol, and one sells farm gas so it is even cheaper...but illegal, but who would ever check your 4gallon tank for the freaking dye

·
Registered
396 Posts
Are you twisting the grip more?

I'm not sure how you ride but, i average around 33-35 mpg city driving and i can get 42 or better highway. Sport driving gets me low 30 - 33 mpg. best ever highway was 48.9 mpg. did that once and have never seen it again. this means that if i fill up when the light comes on (3.75 gal) i get around 120- 130 mile city. if i'm cruzing highway i can pull 160-170 out of my hat taking the tank to empty or very close. i ride aggressive all the time. Also, you can tell by the mileage some of the other guys get, what their driving style is. some of them that get 40 mpg all the time are driving very conservatively, while the guys getting the 30 - 35 (120 mile fill up lite) are twisting the grip. even when driving highway i am working the throttle which is why i have never seen the near 50 mpg again. How do you drive?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I only average about 30mpg with my bike, freeway or not... I don't know how you guys ever got 140 miles to the tank. Furthest I made it on a tank was from LA to San Diego, 122 miles according to the tripmeter. The low fuel light had been on since 115 or so...
Then again, I live in CA, and apparently our gas sucks. I checked a website that lists non-ethanol stations, but there are none within about a 3 hour radius from me!
I've run seafoam and berryman through the tank with no change in mpg. My lowest mpg was around 25/26. That's pretty bad, but sometimes I like to make use of the throttle of course!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I only average about 30mpg with my bike, freeway or not... I don't know how you guys ever got 140 miles to the tank. Furthest I made it on a tank was from LA to San Diego, 122 miles according to the tripmeter. The low fuel light had been on since 115 or so...
Then again, I live in CA, and apparently our gas sucks. I checked a website that lists non-ethanol stations, but there are none within about a 3 hour radius from me!
I've run seafoam and berryman through the tank with no change in mpg. My lowest mpg was around 25/26. That's pretty bad, but sometimes I like to make use of the throttle of course!
That's about 10 mpg's less then I get in town. You might let a mechanic look at that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts