Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Bike is 06 650 Custom.
I bought the bike with 4,600 miles, a Hypercharger on it and carbs had been re-jetted to .116 and stock exhaust.
I put about 9000 miles on it with the hypercharger.
I ride at or below the speed limit and on the highway got 49 to 51MPG.
I had the hypercharger removed and carbs re-jetted to .096 (OEM) installed OEM intake and a K&N air filter and new NKG factory spec plugs.
I am now geting 39 to 41 highway and still ride at or below the speed limit.
Best since the changeover is 41mpg on a 300 mile round trip and never exceeded 66mph.
From basic Physics should the bike get better mileage.
Input from the "MANY EXPERTS" here welcome.
:mad:

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Bike is 06 650 Custom.
I bought the bike with 4,600 miles, a Hypercharger on it and carbs had been re-jetted to .116 and stock exhaust.
I put about 9000 miles on it with the hypercharger.
I ride at or below the speed limit and on the highway got 49 to 51MPG.
I had the hypercharger removed and carbs re-jetted to .096 (OEM) installed OEM intake and a K&N air filter and new NKG factory spec plugs.
I am now geting 39 to 41 highway and still ride at or below the speed limit.
Best since the changeover is 41mpg on a 300 mile round trip and never exceeded 66mph.
From basic Physics should the bike get better mileage.
Input from the "MANY EXPERTS" here welcome.
:mad:

I had to re-read cuz like you I would expect the revearse to be true...I got nothing....wait....did you recently put on 100 pounds or so? LOL

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
on second thought, looks like the hypercharger allowed her to breath better thereby increasing combustion efficiency. Still seems like a huge difference, never would have expected it.

·
Registered
254 Posts
My 02-650 Classic gets 50.2 mpg, but I ride on side roads 50 mph most times. My bike has a Hypo charger, is re-jetted and has V & H pipes. What I've read about adding the Hypo charger said that your mileage would increase by 1 or 2 MPG.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
OldMan, What do your plugs look like. Also you said rejetted, were the stock needles re-installed and shimmed correctly?

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
I just check back here to see if there was an ending to this story/mystery.
But for now we can assume he either has gas dripping out the end of his exhaust or he exploded from over stuffing his pie hole. LOL

·
Registered
16 Posts
Contrary to popular beliefs, tuning does not always flush your fuel mileage. I put a HyperCharger, stage 2 jet kit and Cobra pipes on an '04 750 Aero and went from 46-47 mpg to 60-61 mpg riding two-up with a windshield. Excessive back pressure, the illegitemate son of quiet engineering reduces combustion efficiency. Make better use of the fuel and go farther, or faster.

·
Registered
254 Posts
That's what I had read, I've never checked mine on the open road. I run my dog every day with my Motorcycle or Motor Scooter. Mine stays around 50 mpg.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm getting nowhere near that kinda mileage I have a brand new left over 2011 v star custom still breaking it in. I'm getting like 130 to 135 miles then have to switch to reserve. Any tips on why gas mileage so bad ? Thanks

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use to have a 00' 650 Classic. All stock with 12k miles on it when I got it. Did complete tuneup and best I got was 49 and kept it under 60mph. (no hilly riding) Anything above 60 and it drop to lo 40's.

You're still in the break in mode. May take fee thousand miles to really get the motor lose enough for good mileage

·
Registered
163 Posts
My stock 650 classic averages 40 mpg.
Riding the highway at 70 to 75mph gets me about 37-38, back roads and around town get me about 43. Been like this since new in 2010. It runs very well so it must be the way I ride it that sucks down the gas. I don't understand how some say they get well over 50mpg. You'd have to be riding in 5th gear at less than 50mph I'd think to get that. I NEVER ride in 5th unless I will be maintaining OVER 50. Feels like it's lugging under 50 in 5th. I'll run 4th to 65 if I'm trying to get going.

Filled the bike yesterday with 80.2 miles on the trip, it took 1.98 gallons. This was half freeway and some backroads at 55 slowing through small towns. At 70+ you're running over 5000 rpms. Drains the tank.

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
This is an interesting thread going back quite of few years.

I have a 2005 650 Classic that is all stock in the drive train and exhaust. I ride 15 miles to work mostly at 40 to 45mph.

I dont wind it out to get up to speed because Im mostly riding in light traffic, and on the level roads I can cruise along at 45 in 5th gear.

Im getting 58mpg constantly commuting.

When I take a longer ride I stay on secondary roads, ride though towns and villages, never get much above 60mph. Did a 240 mile trip on one tank of gas, still had two quarts left when I filled it up. A little better than 60mpg.

Bike is not running lean. Last time I changed the plugs they had 12k miles on them and they looked fine.

I think high mpgs is mostly riding at a steady but not fast speed, without a lot of stop and going. On my 15 mile commute, I stop or turn a corner maybe once a mile at the most.

And since rider load makes a difference, Im 6' and 220 lbs.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I NEVER ride in 5th unless I will be maintaining OVER 50. Feels like it's lugging under 50 in 5th. I'll run 4th to 65 if I'm trying to get going.
Huh? I think you must be kidding here. "Feels like it's lugging under 50 in 5th"? Not a chance. Even at just 40 mph it is not even close to feeling like it is "lugging". I use 5th gear on my 2014 650 Custom at 60 km/h (which is just 36 mph) and is still nowhere near lugging; in fact it still accelerates nice and smooth at this speed, and the stock exhaust has a much more pleasant note at lower revs; there is just no need to rev out this motor, unless you are looking to kill your fuel mileage.

I average 68 mpg, (Imperial gallons) or just under 57 mpg (US gallons).

Glen

·
Registered
5,693 Posts
One of the best changes I made in how I ride my 650, after two summers I started going around corners in 3rd gear instead of kicking it down to 2nd.

If you keep your speed at 20mph or more, it feels like a whole different bike. In 2nd gear on a street corner you are half way through the RPMs when you complete the turn and half to shift up to 3rd almost immediately.

Kicking it down to 3rd, I can let out the clutch before the turn, smooth throttle all the way through it, throttle up and the bike stands up... the bike sounds awesome... and I dont have to shift up till I get to 40 if Im pushing it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts