Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Gas mileage

10K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  Eric91Z 
#1 ·
Ok need some input here..just bought brand new left over 2011 v star custom 650..I'm only getting like 130 to 135 miles to a tank then have to use reserve. I thought these bikes got around 200 miles to a tank.. Also about how many miles can you go on reserve ? Thanks for any help...

#3 ·
I'm not sure but I believe getting 200miles on a tank is a little far fetched. Do the math on your next fill-up and see exactly what kind of MPG you are getting then report back.
Like tre my 1100 hits reserve right at 140miles. Give or take a few. I usually start looking for a station around 120 that way I don't have to bother with reserve.

#6 · (Edited)
The reserve is about a quarter of the tank and fuel mileage depends on lots of things (are your tires at the correct pressure? do you gun the throttle and speed or do you drive at a very sedate 55mph on the freeway? do you have any aftermarket stuff on your bike? how much do you weigh? etc, etc).

Basically, if you are getting 200mpt (miles per tank) then you are most likely riding like your great-grandma and running the reserve dry :D

EDIT: It's a common misconception that the reserve is a separate tank. This is not true. So if you were to run the reserve dry and add that mileage to your pre-reserve mileage it is not too far off 200...

#7 ·
I think most motorcycles are built to have a fuel range of about 125 to 140 miles to Reserve. Bigger bikes have bigger tanks, but get poorer fuel mileage. My 250 Star has averaged 79 mpg for 11000 miles, but its tank is small and it will usually get into Reserve at about 130 miles. The only bike I have owned which actually had a 200+ mile range on a tank was a 250 Ninja, which had over four gallons to Reserve and would usually run 225 miles before Reserve. If you run at high speeds the range will be less, because it takes more power and more fuel to run fast.

#8 ·
My '09 1100 just got 134miles before I had to hit reserve, but only had to go 4 miles to the fuel station. My tank is suppose to be 4.5 and I only took 3.4 gallons. I've read that the reserve is about a gallon. Find it hard to believe but my last fuel up is leading me to believe its true.

#9 ·
I had to turn Reserve on today for the very first time today. Came on with just about 3.4 gals used, as I took 3.45 gals at the pump about 3-4 miles after the switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.