Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 1100 custom I have to keep it between 55-60 to get 40 mph. Is that good or not

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
That's not too bad. There are a lot of variables. I remember someone on this forum saying they average about 36mpg. Last time i checked (before all my mods i was getting about 43mpg. I'm currently in the process of testing for fuel mileage with different octanes :D

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Check your spark plugs, they will give you the best info on how each cylinder is running (lean/rich). There is a thread in this forum about 'carb sync tool'. That will get you started on checking for that. If your bike is stock you shouldn't need to mess with syncronizing the carbs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I average around 36-40, but as others have said there are many variables that decide what gas mileage I get, recently we rode down into Arkansas in the Mountains and I dont know how I done it but got approximately 48 according to trip meter I got 50 but I dont see that happening with my fat butt on there.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Another variable is altitude. Quenston was probably right about his milage through the mountains. It seems to help. I live a 7400 ft and run about 43 all the time, highway at 70-80mph or town at 25-30mph. Gas prices make you want more milage but it looks like you are getting better than average.

·
Registered
124 Posts
My 1100 gets 52 MPG some say that's to high I'm running to lean but it runs good. If I was in a warmer climate I would be more concerned.

·
Registered
867 Posts
You also need to take into account how fast you accelerate. If you full throttle for any amount of time in any gear you are pumping more fuel in without getting up to speed essentially just dumping extra fuel.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I get about 120 per tank before the light turns on. Roughly 30-40 MPG.

EDIT: That has been with two pretty heavy people on. Somewhere under 700 pounds between us two. That by itself I am sure dinged it considerably.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm in coastal Carolina and I have k&n pods and cobra slip-ons. I run about 135-140 miles before hitting reserve, around 40-43 mpg. I run a pretty even mix of city/highway, and I don't baby it when I ride. I guess I'm not doing too shabby from what you guys are sayin'...

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
318 Posts
I'm a conservative rider. When my bike was bone stock I would get anwhere between 52 and 57 mpg. With current mods I get between 46 and 52. I tend to ride at or slightly under the speed limit of the road I'm on, keep up with traffic when there is traffic, and don't accelerate hard unless the situation demands it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts