Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2001 650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get more miles per fill up, and was wondering if a tank from a 1300 would fit on a 650?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,458 Posts
The upper frame is different between the bikes so tunnel on tank would be different. I'm sure you could make it work if your fabrication skills are good, but not a direct fit. Normal tank mileage on a 650 is going to be a low of 150 miles and pushing 200 depending on your right hand. For me on the road averaging 70+ mph that's between 2 and three hours in the saddle. I like your stretch my legs, take a bathroom break and get something to drink every few hours, so I get gas then. Is there a particular reason you are wanting to extend your seat time to more than 2+ hours at a time. Also noticed this was your first post. Might want to post in the New Members Introduction Section so we can get to know you.

·
Registered
2001 650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
room break and get something to drink every few hours, so I get gas then. Is there a particular reason you are wanting to extend your seat time to more than 2+ hours at a time. Also noticed this was your first post. Might want to post in the New Members Introduction Section so we can get to kn
Sorry bout that i was going to post in new members but got ahead of myself.

I ride with a group that looks to stop every 175 ish and its just outside of my range, I also do a lot of commuting and want to avoid stopping as often.

·
5,458 Posts
Quick question, when was the last time you have changed plugs, air filter, checked air pressure and are you filling the tank totally? Reason I ask, 4.2 gallon main tank and .8 gallon on reserve. Working with the 4.2 gallons at 41.6 mpg is 175 miles. With a tuned 650, even with windshield and loaded down pretty good this should be very easy to achieve. That would still leave almost a gallon in reserve. I would suggest if you are not at least getting low 40s for mpg I would check tune of bike. Now if y'all are going 80mph plus, up and down mountains, jackrabbit starts, you have pods, jetting really big, then I understand. I'm just trying to get the complete picture, not trying to say you are going anything wrong. Just too many people here on 650s achieving 40+ mpg on a daily basis.

·
Registered
2001 650
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just got the bike recently and I'm not really sure of my MPg. Just going by what happened once while we were out I was expecting 175 ish and switched to reserve at 145. So was looking at options. I'm also doing tune up this weekend

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
stock 650 gets about 59mpg at 60mph

with a windshield it drops to about 54

I dont think you will drop below 50mpg unless you are riding over 80mph

I normally feel my naked stock 650 stumble around 200 miles, and the reserve is good for another 30 at least

If the bike is modified with aftermarket exhaust, intake pods, and someone has been tweaking the jets and PMscrews then all bets are off

the best thing I can suggest: get a 1 quart stainless or spun alum fuel bottle and keep it full in your saddle bag- ride till you find out where reserve sucks air, and then you will know your max range

a quart of gas will get you at least 10 miles down the road to the next gas station

If you are riding in the middle of no-where, use a 1 gallon plastic gas can instead

·
5,458 Posts
How to maximize amount of fuel in tank.

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
300 Posts
I'm pretty sure the tank is 4.2G including the reserve. Not 4.2 plus 0.8 reserve.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm a fairly recent 1300 owner and have wondered about the tech specs on the tank and wondering if it is meant to read the way bpounds says or others have seem to make it like lesblank. I haven't had a lot of time to play with it but have been pushing it to, or was during the last fall riding season, to around 200 miles before filling doing mostly back country road ride and very little, if any, highway riding. The bike, a Deluxe, was completely stock, fairing and all (now has Ivan's flash) at the time. Still seemed like I had more I could have gone. Measured mpg but at the moment can't remember what it was. I'm sure someone has done the actually liquid / spec comparison.

·
5,458 Posts
I'm pretty sure the tank is 4.2G including the reserve. Not 4.2 plus 0.8 reserve.
You are correct, I miss typed, good catch.

·
Super Moderator
6,406 Posts
When I had my 650 Classic, I got a consistent 55-57 mpg per tank and it had V&H mufflers, medium windshield, and a k&n air filter. I ran non-ethanol fuel in it and it purred like a kitten.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Unfortunately, no place here in Maryland to get Non-Ethanol gas (strange state, I know). I wish there was, I don't mind so much running it in my FI 1300 but drives me crazy each time I have to pull a carb off one of my mowers or dirt bikes or small 4-wheelers. I have family in Ohio and my brother has no problem getting it at a pump at a few stations. I guess there probably is a way to get it here, I'm sure I could find a place to buy it a gallon at a time in a metal can for some crazy amount. I have my opinions about those stopping it from being sold here at the pump but I will keep them to myself.

·
5,458 Posts
Unfortunately, no place here in Maryland to get Non-Ethanol gas (strange state, I know). I wish there was, I don't mind so much running it in my FI 1300 but drives me crazy each time I have to pull a carb off one of my mowers or dirt bikes or small 4-wheelers. I have family in Ohio and my brother has no problem getting it at a pump at a few stations. I guess there probably is a way to get it here, I'm sure I could find a place to buy it a gallon at a time in a metal can for some crazy amount. I have my opinions about those stopping it from being sold here at the pump but I will keep them to myself.
Found 56 stations in Maryland that sells non ethanol gas, most are East Maryland. Don't know what part of Maryland you are from. FYI, I graduated from Gaithersburg High school. Here's the web site about pure gas.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Les, thanks for the list. I was on that website yesterday while I was posting. Looking at the map display, it only showed 4 or 5 dots and most were mower stores and hardware shops that sold in cans and marinas around the water. I'll go back on and look at it again. I'm in the western Howard County area, just west of Columbia.

Thanks for looking it up.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Found the actually list at the bottom as you show. As suspected, nothing close-ish except can sellers, almost all the rest are southern Maryland or over the Bay Bridge. One place in Glen Bernie which only has 110 at the pump for over $8 a gallon. Other two options are Littlestown just over the PA boarder at about 50 min or north of Hagerstown at a little over an hour. The PA trip seems like it wouldn't be a bad motorcycle trip as it appears to be in a small town and back roads to get there, actually, same for the one north of Hagerstown.

Guess I'll start watching for gas containers to go on sale and pick up a couple.

·
5,458 Posts
There's another option, use premium fuel. Most of our bikes do not require premium fuel but the shelf life and additional additives make it the right choice at times.

From Sunoco web site:
87 octane fuels tend to be less refined and contain more unstable hydrocarbons. As the months pass during storage these unstable components react to form gums, varnishes and lower octane hydrocarbons. As a result the octane can decrease within months for 87 octane fuels, especially when stored under less than ideal conditions. 93 octane fuels are more refined and contain more stable hydrocarbons. These stable hydrocarbons can last 2-3 times longer than 87 octane fuel. Even in proper storage 87 octane gas can start to degrade in 3 months, 93 octane fuel should last closer to 9 months before degradation is noticeable. Keep in mind that 93 octane fuels are still susceptible to octane loss and vapor pressure decreases due to butane evaporation.

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
I have just came to the realization that i have to put seafoam in all the gas for mowers snowblowers and chainsaws.

·
Registered
349 Posts
There's another option, use premium fuel. Most of our bikes do not require premium fuel but the shelf life and additional additives make it the right choice at times.

View attachment 91716

From Sunoco web site:
87 octane fuels tend to be less refined and contain more unstable hydrocarbons. As the months pass during storage these unstable components react to form gums, varnishes and lower octane hydrocarbons. As a result the octane can decrease within months for 87 octane fuels, especially when stored under less than ideal conditions. 93 octane fuels are more refined and contain more stable hydrocarbons. These stable hydrocarbons can last 2-3 times longer than 87 octane fuel. Even in proper storage 87 octane gas can start to degrade in 3 months, 93 octane fuel should last closer to 9 months before degradation is noticeable. Keep in mind that 93 octane fuels are still susceptible to octane loss and vapor pressure decreases due to butane evaporation.

Thanks for the info Les.
I had no idea that higher octane gas degraded slower. Really good to know.

·
5,458 Posts
Thanks for the info Les.
I had no idea that higher octane gas degraded slower. Really good to know.
For my lawn equipment, pay a little more on fuel, or a lot more on fuel system clean-cuts. A little more on fuel is my preference.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts