Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to replace my gas tank on my 2004 Yamaha V Star 650 classic...I'm wanting to move my speedometer up to my handlebars so my question is where can I get a gas tank without the speedometer on it for my bike?

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
473 Posts
You can look on e-bay or your local craigslist under motorcycle parts.
If you want it to set down over the frame, you will need to find one with a wide tunnel.

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
Yamaha has what is called a double wishbone frame. That means on most bikes it is a single tube on the top, these have a double tube.
I have seen it done 3 different ways , the first is use a flat bottom Sportster tank on top the tubes ( hate the look ) , the the second is get a big tank like the old Honda or Suzuki tanks from the 70's and have a big tunnel put in it ( this ends up looking the best) the third ( which you will have to find a real good welder/fabricator) is cut the top of the frame out and have it replaced with a single tube.
There is a fourth way ,which is probably the simplest, it just never comes out to look good, no one can get it smooth enough, is fill the area where the speedo goes. It just never gets the correct angle and smoothness to look right.

Reactions: stratsurvivor

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yamaha has what is called a double wishbone frame. That means on most bikes it is a single tube on the top, these have a double tube.
I have seen it done 3 different ways , the first is use a flat bottom Sportster tank on top the tubes ( hate the look ) , the the second is get a big tank like the old Honda or Suzuki tanks from the 70's and have a big tunnel put in it ( this ends up looking the best) the third ( which you will have to find a real good welder/fabricator) is cut the top of the frame out and have it replaced with a single tube.
There is a fourth way ,which is probably the simplest, it just never comes out to look good, no one can get it smooth enough, is fill the area where the speedo goes. It just never gets the correct angle and smoothness to look right.
Thanks bro...

·
Registered
2008 vstar 1100 classic canadian edition
559 Posts
and change the back light to led of another color or put an side emitting led strip around the inside is the oem ones are gone when you take the speedo out.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey guys, just seen this post and thought I’d jump in, iv just done my tank on my xvs 1100, iv removed the speedo from the tank and welded a plate to fill the hole and welded in a new flush mount fuel cap, now it’s filled and rubbed down and painted, it’s worked out well, it might give you some ideas, good luck with your bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
'18 SVTC
794 Posts
Hey guys, just seen this post and thought I’d jump in, iv just done my tank on my xvs 1100, iv removed the speedo from the tank and welded a plate to fill the hole and welded in a new flush mount fuel cap, now it’s filled and rubbed down and painted, it’s worked out well, it might give you some ideas, good luck with your bike.
Nice job

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks bro

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the kind words mate, means a lot coming from guys who know the bikes so well, iv just rebuilt the hole bike.
I'm kind of doing the same...a tree limb fell on the tank so it's dented in...I had to fix a crack in the carburetor and replace a lot of parts on it.... this is my first cruiser and once it's done and I get a new bike I'm passing down this one to my youngest son...thanks for the comments and humor...

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm kind of doing the same...a tree limb fell on the tank so it's dented in...I had to fix a crack in the carburetor and replace a lot of parts on it.... this is my first cruiser and once it's done and I get a new bike I'm passing down this one to my youngest son...thanks for the comments and humor...
That’s just dumb luck, iv knocked an oil can off my shelf in the past and damaged a bike! We at least your have some fun with your lad doing the bike, enjoy.
Ride safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts