Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I thought I saw this thread on here but I did a search and it came up empty. Do you use regular or super? We have been putting super in mine since I bought it since that is what he puts in his HD. I have the 1600 Roadstar.

Thanks

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
there are threads about octane. that's octane. you should use whichever octane rating your bike suggests. i believe yours only requires the 87 octane gas which is regular. the compression of your particular engine cannot even detonate the higher octane fuels as efficiently as the 87 octane gas. so don't put in the more expensive gas just because someone else puts it in theirs. maybe their engine compression is geared to use the higher octane which has nothing to do with your bike. so use regular. the word, again, is octane.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you trying to sound like a complete jerk in your response? I know sometimes someone can read something the wrong way just trying to see if that was the case.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Didnt sound jerky too me...Hes right..all engines are different, For example youre gonna have to run premium in a 911 but in a corolla you dont need it at all , lol...Our Vstar 1100s have a pretty low compression ratio of 8.3:1 or 8.6:1 i think...no need at all for premium. Not sure about roadstars however...

Higher octane gas is needed in engine with higher compression ratios to prevent things such as knock.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engine_knocking

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Newbie, I checked the 1600 manual and it states that you use regular fuel.So save some money and burn the regular.You can run the premium since you live in the warm side of the earth.In the colder states it could cause some hard starting issues or poor running when the bike is cold.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks HD. I thought I had read that on here I dont have the manuel since I bought the bike used. I just down loaded the manuel so I had it for future questions. I was having trouble on our last long trip when we hit alltitude. I started to back fire anytime I left off the throttle as soon as we got over the moutains it was fine again. He normally just fills my tank after his and just uses the same grade. With this run coming up and them fueling up 300 bikes in 20 minutes I wanted to make sure I was in the correct lane. They said they have a Harley lane and another lane (one being Regular and one being premium). It made me question my boyfriend again on if I really needed to be using premium everytime we fuel. I know it is not that big of a difference in price but was not sure if it could change my performance.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow my spelling is horrible above. LOL I must be tired and my fingers are not keeping up with my brain.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
The back firing at higher altitude is pretty much normal for a carburated bike.

·
Administrator
13,286 Posts
Are you trying to sound like a complete jerk in your response? I know sometimes someone can read something the wrong way just trying to see if that was the case.
i thought i was answering your question. and i wanted to see how many times i could use the word octane in one post as an inside joke since there's been a lot of discussion on here about gas and octane, sometimes heated. here's a couple threads and count the number of times the word octane is used:

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3010&highlight=octane

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825&highlight=octane

as described by the Minnesota Department of Commerce:

Octane is a measure of a fuel's tendency to knock or ping when it is mixed with air and burned in the cylinder of an engine. this octane rating is not based on the amount of cheical octane in the gasoline. the rating is called octane because the gasoline's ability to prevent engine knock has been rated against the performance of pure hydrocarbon octane, which has a rating of 100. gasoline, which is made from a blend of many other hydrocarbons, may have a higher or lower rating, depending on how its anti-knock performance compares to the performance of pure hydrocarbon octane.

some octane myths:

high octane gasoline improves mileage.
-in general, if your vehicle is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, high octane gasoline will not improve mileage. if switching to high octane gasoline does improve mileage, you might find that your engine, or its control systems, need repair.

high octane gasoline gives quicker starting.
-it doesn't

high octane gasoline increases power.
-if your vehicle is designed to run on 87 octane gasoline, you shouldn't notice any more power on high octane gasoline. again, if it does make a noticeable difference, your engine, or the engine's electronic control systems, may need repair

high octane gasoline has been refined more and is just a better product.
-additional refining steps are used to increase the octane; however, these additional steps do not make the gasoline a 'better' product for all engines. they just yield a different blend of hydrocarbons that burn more slowly. the additional steps also increase the price.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
The wording is tricky as the inverse may be a better way to think about it. The higher the octane the LESS likely the air/fuel mixture will pre-ignite (ping or knock) during the compression stroke. So using low octane in a high compression ratio engine may cause the air/fuel mixture to "fire" before top-dead-center and self ignite before the spark plug fires. So high octane, in a otherwise well tuned low compression ratio engine would not cause a ping or a knock, it certainly is a waste of money if your engine doesn't need it.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Well said wart.I think everyone can understand that. Thanks.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I run strictly Premium with 0% ethanol in it for all my small engines. If you are unsure if the gas you are putting in has ethanol in it or not, I recomend BP Premium. Most of all BP stations have no ethanol in their Premium fuel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks HD. I thought I had read that on here I dont have the manuel since I bought the bike used. I just down loaded the manuel so I had it for future questions. I was having trouble on our last long trip when we hit alltitude. I started to back fire anytime I left off the throttle as soon as we got over the moutains it was fine again. He normally just fills my tank after his and just uses the same grade. With this run coming up and them fueling up 300 bikes in 20 minutes I wanted to make sure I was in the correct lane. They said they have a Harley lane and another lane (one being Regular and one being premium). It made me question my boyfriend again on if I really needed to be using premium everytime we fuel. I know it is not that big of a difference in price but was not sure if it could change my performance.
Seems it was good b4 and only after coming off the mountain...hummm:confused:
In your ride over the mountain, your backfiring may not have been an Octane issue.

Food for thought:
I just purchased a new set of V&H Pro Pipes and a Cobra PowrPro Fuel Processor for my bike recently. I wanted it right the first time. In the process of searching for the right processor, I thought one type quoted "no need to change mapping at higher altitudes" thus my reason for purchasing the PowrPro. At 80x per /sec processing, any speed gear or altitude is why I chose PowrPro.

Can it be a question of your fuel processor(if you have one installed) and not the octane?
I'm new to this stuff myself. Hope this helped!:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts