Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update on gas. 3000+mls. using 91. still avg. 70/gal. i dont ride hard 65 tops. no jackrabbit starts easy on the go. 950t.

·
Registered
10 Posts
i deliver gas for amocco bp sunoco and i fill the truck for all octanes out out the same station. the difference in the gas and octane is the co. additives all gas is the same reg or sup same gas save money use reg. i do on all my bikes and my cars. my hotrods get reg and octane boost. gas co. little secret. joe

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
All the same?

i deliver gas for amocco bp sunoco and i fill the truck for all octanes out out the same station. the difference in the gas and octane is the co. additives all gas is the same reg or sup same gas save money use reg. i do on all my bikes and my cars. my hotrods get reg and octane boost. gas co. little secret. joe
Will you explain that a bit more? Maybe Sugar Bear is missin something. Are you saying that you fill your tanker out of the same spicket, and the gas stations dole it out as i.e, 87, 89, 93 ect? I guess it is as Dan said it is very misunderstood. I remember years ago you could go to Sunoco and get what they called 260, which they claim to be 102 or 104 octane, don't remember for sure the exact, but way up there. Right now just:confused: You guys remember blue Sunoco? The only gas I ever saw that was blue, pretty stuff.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
You can still get it at general aviation airports. 100 LL (Low Lead) Blue in color.

·
Administrator
15,486 Posts
we had this discussion last year:

http://www.starbikeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=633

bottom line, unless your vehicle calls for the higher octane gas, then you're just wasting your money by not buying 87 octane. any claims that your bike is getting better gas mileage with the higher octane than using the regular are inaccurate

·
Registered
821 Posts
The manual for my 2010 950T states:

"Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a pump octane number [(R+M)/2 of 86 or higher."

I've used nothing but regular 87 octane since new, and after 5500 miles she runs like a top.;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts