Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
somehow water got in the assembly and it has no way to get out.

when the bike is cold it condenses into water where you cant see it. When you park the bike in the sun it evaporates from the internal parts and condenses on the glass.

I think if you take it off and give it a chance to dry out inside it would be okay. Not sure what you would have to do to open it to let the moisture out, if just taking it off the tank would be enough (maybe not)

or if you would have to disassemble it a little further.

That also begs the question of how the water got in there - a bad seal or o-ring someplace....

if you do take it all apart, putting a bag of desiccant in there where you wont see it would help prevent it from happening again.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
somehow water got in the assembly and it has no way to get out.

when the bike is cold it condenses into water where you cant see it. When you park the bike in the sun it evaporates from the internal parts and condenses on the glass.

I think if you take it off and give it a chance to dry out inside it would be okay. Not sure what you would have to do to open it to let the moisture out, if just taking it off the tank would be enough (maybe not)

or if you would have to disassemble it a little further.

That also begs the question of how the water got in there - a bad seal or o-ring someplace....

if you do take it all apart, putting a bag of desiccant in there where you wont see it would help prevent it from happening again.

Thank you. Theres a gap between the "dash" and the tank where the rubber gasket isnt contacting the tank. Must have gotten in through there.

·
Registered
5,572 Posts
Thank you. Theres a gap between the "dash" and the tank where the rubber gasket isnt contacting the tank. Must have gotten in through there.
on my 650 the instrument cluster is open on the bottom, the speedo cable comes up through a hole under the tank where water could get it or drain out

Im pretty sure my cluster is still sealed by itself when its off the tank - so maybe that gasket on the edge of the tank is not for a total seal.

Ive never really taken a close look at it when I had the tank off the bike for other reasons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts