Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, Newbie I'm afraid, proud owner of vstar 06 1100. Hear goes. blown up two batteries so far. Not sure if it's the quality of the battery or another Factor. Tested the output from regulator and it's it's at 14.37 through to 14.61. new battery only lasted 1 day and ended up swelling although didn't drop it's 12 vault status. Previous battery dropped a cell on a long ride 200 km again limped home with everything on but battery did not swell. Curiously the bike on the new battery ran fine for 100 km and then suddenly started to play up on the basis of electrical malfunctions speedo going out, LED going out, some backfiring and when I was able to limp home by switching on on all electrical components that I could, causing the stator/alternator to supply more electrical imputI finally arrived home to find the swelling of the battery. I checked ohms resistance on the output plug(6 male,3 top,3 bottom) of the regulator found four at .3, one at .5 and one at .089. Surely this could not destroy a battery in such a short ride. Anyone got suggestions ❓❓❓❓

·
Registered
2011 Yamaha VStar 650
324 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Southern Indiana!
Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your bike. I'm sure somebody will give you some ideas of what to check (electrical systems are not my strong point).

·
Registered
222 Posts
Hey. You checked your battery leads at idle, right? Did you check with the engine revved up to riding rpms? Swelling is usually because of over charge. So need to check rectifier and alternator output, but at higher revs... Try checking, revved up, at input to rectifier and at battery leads.

Reactions: Boog

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey. You checked your battery leads at idle, right? Did you check with the engine revved up to riding rpms? Swelling is usually because of over charge. So need to check rectifier and alternator output, but at higher revs... Try checking, revved up, at input to rectifier and at battery leads.
Sorry guys should have said yes readings I gave were at high rpm, low rpm was around 14v and slightly under. What gets me is brand new battery only lasted a single ride. Brand was Varda.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
The battery is hardly the cause. Rather, you are looking at inconsistent charging, most likely due to a damaged R/R. I have had that happen, both under- and overcharging.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi guys and Sheila's(gals)
im Rob , I have posted a problem first and apologies for that prior to intro,poor manners no excuse. Just started riding again after long break. Got the vstar 1100 custom. 06 beautiful bike , told it's pretty much bullet proof lol 😂 we'll see. Hope all the riding community is staying safe during this difficult time for the global citizens . Looking forward to long rides and adventure adnauseum. During this time I wonder if some vids of rides done in the areas we can go to, might be a thread we could start or if already started add to to and anticipate the touring bug biting us on the butt. 🌈🏍🌈🏍🌈

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
Hello Rob and welcome from Virginia. The 1100 is indeed a bike that just keeps going. Regular maintenance will give a machine that you can pass down to your grands.

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Registered
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring, '81 XS650SH Project
576 Posts
Rob, I too think it is something wrong with the R/R. Varta is not the top of batteries though. I had a 310 CCA AGM battery in my Rocket III and by the second winter, it could not start the bike even as warm as 20F (-7C).
I assume yours is an AGM and there are many opinions here between AGM and Lead acid. I myself prefer the AGM.
However, none of that matters if the battery is being over charged causing the swelling issue to continue. No one needs a runaway battery fire under their bum while riding...

Reactions: dmil123

·
Registered
609 Posts
"The battery is hardly the cause. Rather, you are looking at inconsistent charging, most likely due to a damaged R/R. I have had that happen, both under- and overcharging." - Yup! I've replaced R&R twice in 60K miles. Once for undercharging (bike died) and once for overcharging (swelling battery). Easy swap.

·
Super Moderator
7,229 Posts
Hi Rob,
Welcome from East Tennessee! We have a section where we post up rides, pictures and videos. Feel free to post something and see what other riders are doing.
We have quite a few members with 1100’s, so if you have any or issues I’m sure you’ll be a reply. Love to see some pics of your bike as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,993 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a video that might help you diagnose your issue.

Great info if you are new to the 1100:

Here's a few intesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt.

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Welcome from New York. Hope your battery issue is quickly resolved. Happy trails. ride safe. enjoy the breeze.

·
Super Moderator
2,711 Posts
Welcome from Sacramento, Ca.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rob, I too think it is something wrong with the R/R. Varta is not the top of batteries though. I had a 310 CCA AGM battery in my Rocket III and by the second winter, it could not start the bike even as warm as 20F (-7C).
I assume yours is an AGM and there are many opinions here between AGM and Lead acid. I myself prefer the AGM.
However, none of that matters if the battery is being over charged causing the swelling issue to continue. No one needs a runaway battery fire under their bum while riding...
Hi mate, yes I definitely don't want a hot butt except through the gym 😂. It's actually a lead acid but I am all ears on a reccomended type and brand. I'll keep going with the diagnosis and share once I drill down on the cause. 👍👍👍Cheers Rob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The battery is hardly the cause. Rather, you are looking at inconsistent charging, most likely due to a damaged R/R. I have had that happen, both under- and overcharging.
Thanks Faffi, I will have to drill down on the cause, but probably will change out the R/R and see what happens. Thanks for your input 👍👍👍

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! As you can see there are many here who are willing and able to assist. Good luck with solving your issue. Keep updating the status of your issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi from oz again, well here is something that I had a thought on re my battery problem and funny I got a electronic guy to wade in on it. Now this is untested but I thought I might try this. With the 5000 rpm reading 14.6 output to battery with a dicky R/R . I ask the electronic guy if it was possible to put a resistor of some type to reduce the output voltage. Surprise, there is it's a 100watt resistor measures about 60mmx 40m that will reduce the output from .6v - 1v this would be enough to bring the voltage to just under 14v. Cost of doing this is $17 AUD. Just putting this out there for comment guys what do you think. Not sure if this is going into the thread or in reply to Redbryd . I'm not sure how to get this on the main thread I started. Cheers Rob

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic and 1999 Honda NT650V Deauville
409 Posts
It will help if your R/R never deliver more than 16v. I had one R/R that suddenly went from 13.8 to 17.6v, surging back and forth without pattern. I had a voltmeter and caught it before it did damage to battery or bulbs, but without that I would have ridden gladly until things began going south.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts