Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day just introducing myself have recently purchased a 650 classic, seems to make a clunking noise when in gear going slow or when in neutral rolling slow. Any ideas from any one what that might be? Anyhow glad to have found this site and look forward to many discussions and tips being passed back and forth from myself and other users.
Regards,
Randy

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Welcome Randy!

Is it a high or low pitched noise? To make sure I understand correctly, this clunk is not when shifting gears, but while moving/rolling? Unrelated to throttle input or speed? Definitely coming from the engine?

Post up some pics of that fine ride, it may help us pinpoint the problem :D

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hello Randy and welcome to the forum. As you have already seen this is a great forum with lots of folks ready to help. Let me warn you though once Mieschi figures out what the clunking sound is he still will not tell you until you post a picture of that sweet looking bike of yours (;-{)>

·
Registered
1 Posts
1100 classic vstar

Having issues with my bike not charging my battery, New voltage regulator, 3 new batteries , I'm lost, all my wires seem to be good. If anyone has any ideas please HELP

·
Registered
7 Posts
Welcome aboard Randy1. I'm sure you'll get the help you need just as I did. You might get some ideas by searching the V-Star forum as well. Hope to see photos of your bike soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Mieschi ,
The Clunk is a low noise, it is only apparent at slow speed and is there whether the bike is in gear or not. I think it is coming from the direct drive and sound like it is from the rear wheel area. It would be great if you have an idea as I am perplexed at the moment. It does appear to be only at slow speed under 10klm's but maybe I just dont hear it when I am cruising.
Kind Regards,
Randy

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi it is a rhythmic clunk and is there whether in gear or not. I suspect it is the direct drive near the rear wheel somewhere

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
OK, I think I've got it figured out - but I see you have posted any pics of your bike yet so .......

:D

:D

Oh hell, I guess I'll just trust that you'll post up some pics :D

Here's what I'm thinking, though you might not like the answer. After some research, I think you need to make sure the shaft is properly aligned and lubed. Not the end of the world, but it is a bit involved as you have to pull the rear wheel and shaft (actually, putting it back is the tough part). I'll find you a link to the procedure and you can make a decision about giving it a go yourself, or seeking out experienced help.

You didn't mention it, but has your rear tire been changed recently?
How many miles on the bike?
Has this noise always been there or did it just appear recently?

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Here's the link
http://www.650ccnd.com/shaft2.htm

Check out that site overall - great info on the 650 (not that we want to lose you here either, especially given all the pics you'll be posting).

I also read a few places that stated the drive alignment was an issue from the factory up through the '04 model, so depending on your year, this may further support the alignment as a good starting point.

Good luck!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts