Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all...

Like I've posted before I just got myself a used VStar 650. Curious about the general maintenance I should know about my bike so that she runs long and strong.

How often should I change the oil? Anything else I should know and check regularly? I drive her a lot so it's about a 1000 miles every few weeks.

Thanks much!

·
Super Moderator
6,788 Posts
When I still had my 07' 650 classic, I used 87 or 89. I'd use 91 maybe once a month without any issues. Now I didn't ride daily as a commuter, but I'd put quite a few miles on her monthly. As far as maintenance, changing oil, etc, I bought a Clymer service manual off eBay and followed Yamahas recommendations for all of that. I changed the rear end fluid according to factory specs as well, that's something you don't want to overlook. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Yep, follow the recommended intervals for oil and the final drive fluid. Final drive couldn't get any easier.

I run 89, from my unscientific fuel study, I got worse mileage with 91. I have to run 91 in my car so if I don't need to incur that extra expense in the great state of CT, then I don't want to.

Use Fuelly.com and do your own study.

Good for you burning up the road. Keep an eye on tire wear and tire pressure, especially as ambient temps change.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

1 - 4 of 4 Posts