Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im starting a GoFunMe page to raise $250 LOL!

so George Clooney can take the MSF beginners riding course.

The video of him hitting a car head on with his scooter is on the internet -

I dont know what he was looking at, but he was NOT looking where he was going - he ran right into the stopped car.

·
Premium Member
2018 SVTC
2,577 Posts
Im starting a GoFunMe page to raise $250 LOL!

so George Clooney can take the MSF beginners riding course.

The video of him hitting a car head on with his scooter is on the internet -

I dont know what he was looking at, but he was NOT looking where he was going - he ran right into the stopped car.
Are you sure his name is spelled correctly??
Is it George C. Looney?? Just wondering out loud.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He wasnt going 60 at impact - he landed on the hood of the car

a long jump at the olympics can jump 25 feet running 25mph

at 60mph he would have sailed about 100 feet.

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
are you guys seeing a different video than i am? that oncoming car pulled in front of him leaving him with only 1 second to respond, no escape to his left, and very little room to escape on the right with the parked truck there. and he was in the left side of the lane. the other bike was able to miss because he had just barely enough room between the car and the truck and was already in the right side of the lane when the car pulled in front of them. this could easily have been a video of George laying the bike down because he didn't have enough time and room to squeeze between the 2 vehicles or him hitting the parked truck trying to get out of the way of the car that just turned into his lane.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Its hard to see exactly when the car started to pull into the left lane, apparently to make a left turn around the stopped truck... maybe at 24S on clock on the screen.

George hit the car just after 27S, and the car was fully stopped.

It looks like a very dangerous intersection, on a hill, on a curve...

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I am not saying GC was to blame. I put most of fault on the car.

I was and still am surprised he did not have any broken bones. Was able to walk and R.O.R.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
If you get into an accident and end up dead then it really doesnt matter who was at fault, who had the right of way, who crossed over what color line or went past what color light or sign. When you are dead its all over.

People in cars can bash into each other at 60mph and walk away. We cant.

For us the game is to navigate the soup and not get hit, and stay unharmed and alive. Thats why I posted the joke about sending GC to the MSF beginners course, because they drill this into your head for 3 days. For an accident to happen there is almost always more than one mistake made, or more than one risk that is not compensated for.

If I knew exactly where this happened we could go on google earth and see if this is a blind hill with a blind curve, with an intersection at the crest. If the road markings are the same there, that broken line down the middle makes it a passing zone... maybe...

Sorry if I say this alot but it bears repeating: with 200,000 serious vehicle accidents in the US, and nearly 40,000 deaths every year people make mistakes and do stupid and dangerous things constantly - and 110 people end up dead every single stinking day!

We have to be better than everyone else out there. We have to see the potential for an accident, a collision being set-up, before it happens, and do whatever it takes to mitigate the risk (aka: Slow down, slow down, s l o w d o w n) till the danger passes.

Then crank the throttle and take off like a bat outta hell! :^O

From the MSF training, that truck sitting at the intersection waiting to turn and pull out, is a risk. He might not see you, or there might be someone else behind the truck you cannot see.

The car took 3 seconds to cross the center line and stop in the path of the bikes. There was nothing infront of the car, so unless that is a blind hill, the MC riders should have seen him coming over the line and been on the brakes.

If they were cresting a blind hill at 60mph, my heart would have been in my throat, knowing I cant see ahead.

again: If the speed limit is 60mph you have every right to cruise along at 60mph and hope to god no one crashes into you. 110 people lose that bet every day.

·
Administrator
13,713 Posts
The car took 3 seconds to cross the center line and stop in the path of the bikes. There was nothing infront of the car, so unless that is a blind hill, the MC riders should have seen him coming over the line and been on the brakes.
i paused the video the instant the car started to cross into the other lane at the end of the :34 mark, arguably noticeable at the beginning of the :33 mark. Clooney hits the car at the :32 mark. if you watch the video without pausing, start counting "one mississippi" as soon as you notice that car move into the other lane and you cannot finish "two mississippi" before Clooney has already struck it.

·
Registered
909 Posts
i paused the video the instant the car started to cross into the other lane at the end of the :34 mark, arguably noticeable at the beginning of the :33 mark. Clooney hits the car at the :32 mark. if you watch the video without pausing, start counting "one mississippi" as soon as you notice that car move into the other lane and you cannot finish "two mississippi" before Clooney has already struck it.
Agreed. If you watch the video you'll notice that the Benz pulled into the oncoming lane within about a car lengths distance and in about a second worth of time... a second later Clooney hit. And honestly if Clooney really was doing 60mph, he was able to scrub off quite a bit of speed before hitting. In the linked video you can view the actual timestamp of the captured video.

Supposedly the driver of the Benz, a 64 year old plumber, claimed that he went just a little way over the white line and couldn't see anything because he had the sun in his eyes. Sadly that BS excuse will probably be accepted with little scrutiny.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
A lot of the news reports I have watched on this said he was doing 60mph. I am betting he said he was doing 60 but it was 60kph. They just assumed. They are in Italy, they do not use MPH. I don't know how y'all can say his head was turned or anything like that since you can't see his head due to the camera info at the top. I can guess what he did was target fixate in that 2 seconds and drove into the car that was in his lane. It can happen to any of us experienced or not. It looks like a big scooter and I do not know the rules in Italy, but I know here to rent one over 50cc you have to have a MC licence.

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
cant tell exactly when the MB starts to cross the line, it appears to happen behind the truck. From the time the MB is visible at the front of the truck till GC hits the car is about 2 seconds.

We cant possibly get all the info from this one video. Sometimes thing happen that you cannot avoid and cannot see coming and there is nothing you can do about it.

After riding in my area for the last 5 years I know several places where there are intersections on blind hills, and several 55mph blind intersections where you cannot see if cars are coming on the cross roads and slowing down for their stop sign - there is no stop sign on the main road.

There is a tendency with pilots, when a plane crashes, to blame it on pilot error. I think pilots need to believe if they do everything correctly and by the book then there is very little chance of the plane crashing. Its almost like they have to chant "pilot error" and throw the dead pilot under the bus, to be able to get into their jet and fly the next day.

Its kinda like that on a motorcycle too - when someone crashes its difficult to say "there is nothing the rider could have done" and then get on your own bike the next day and keep riding. I know a couple people who had near misses, caused by car drivers, and they stopped riding, because they felt helpless and there is nothing you can do on a MC to be safe.

Every airline crash is studied up one side and down the other to learn what they can and to change flight protocols to keep it from happening again. Riding a MC is like that - when someone wrecks it is valuable to see what happened and see if the rider could have done anything to avert the collision.

In this case... I think maybe.

·
Premium Member
1,155 Posts
cant tell exactly when the MB starts to cross the line, it appears to happen behind the truck. From the time the MB is visible at the front of the truck till GC hits the car is about 2 seconds.

We cant possibly get all the info from this one video. Sometimes thing happen that you cannot avoid and cannot see coming and there is nothing you can do about it.

After riding in my area for the last 5 years I know several places where there are intersections on blind hills, and several 55mph blind intersections where you cannot see if cars are coming on the cross roads and slowing down for their stop sign - there is no stop sign on the main road.

There is a tendency with pilots, when a plane crashes, to blame it on pilot error. I think pilots need to believe if they do everything correctly and by the book then there is very little chance of the plane crashing. Its almost like they have to chant "pilot error" to be able to get into their jet and fly the next day.

Its kinda like that on a motorcycle too - when someone crashes its difficult to say "there is nothing the rider could have done" and then get on your own bike the next day and keep riding. I know a couple people who had near misses, caused by car drivers, and they stopped riding, because they felt helpless and there is nothing you can do on a MC to be safe.

Every airline crash is studied up one side and down the other to learn what they can and to change flight protocols to keep it from happening again. Riding a MC is like that - when someone wrecks it is valuable to see what happened and see if the rider could have done anything to avert the collision.

In this case... I think maybe.
I am sure there was SOMETHING he could have done. I think he was paying attn. His bodyguard goes right to get around the car. Clooney also went right but the car was farther over, although stopped at that point, than it was when his body guard went by. I think other than this not happening this was best case scenario. The car did stop, Clooney probably scrubbed off a lot of speed, and the reports do say he was wearing a helmet. What he did come away with is minor injuries and a lot of press. LOL

·
Registered
6,696 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
^ I agree with that, if he was going 65mph (read on a few news websites) then he definitely was on the brakes, because hitting a stopped car at 65mph would have launched him out of the camera field of view.

also busting a windshield with your helmet is a trophy to display on your mantle. Gotta find out who's helmet that was!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts