Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All

My name is Christopher . . . AKA, Cultosaurus. and, Yes, I am a BOC fan. I live in Canada, in south-western Ontario.

It has been a few years since I've been able to ride, but since I have been fortunate enough to 'find' some funding, I am trying to get myself back onto two wheels. I am 62 and forced into early retirement due to health reasons. When I looked at my options for transportation, I started to realize that I could finally fulfill the dream of having the wind in my beard again. Getting a 4 wheeled machine just didn't seem to make financial sense .. besides . .. bikes are way more fun.

I have had a few bikes over the years, I started on a Honda CB100 at 16 years old and the last one was a Virago with a very bad starter problem .. kinda scared me with the idea of getting another Yamaha with that history in my head. But, they do top the list for quality, so I'm taking a chance on them again . . . a chance that I don't think that I'll be regretting. It has been a few years, but I'm sure that my riding skills will come back quickly.

Because of my age and shrinking abilities, I began by looking for something small to ride, like a Harley 883. It was the sound that I originally started looking for. Since some of my riding plans were for long distance travel, I didn't want to be spending 8 to 10 hours in the saddle listening to the high RPM sewing machine sound that is common to a lot of metrics that are less than 1000cc . After a lot of research on the local bike market here in town, I found a very nice Yamaha Road Star Silverado. I have not made the purchase as yet, but the Road Star is now my 'dream bike' (one in particular, and a few other possibles in my pool of options). I know, it sounds odd. Begin looking for a small or light-weight cruiser and end up deciding on a 1700 . . . but it isn't really that strange. It came down to price, originally. And then, like they say . .. 'The heart wants what the heart wants'. And once I found her . . .

Well, that's a little about me . .. I know that I'll enjoy the site, many have already been very kind in replying to a query.

Namaste
Cult

·
2,515 Posts
Thanks for posting here as well so we can all get to know you better. Good to have another Canadian join our ranks too. As everyone mentioned in your other post, Yamaha has a proven record of reliability. I'm thinking your Virago had the same starter clutch issue the early VStar 1100s had. Not a big deal as long as you don't use any throttle when starting so it doesn't kick back and ruin the starter clutch. Mine was a 2000 and I never had an issue with it.

And as you've seen this is a very active forum as well. More like a group of friends who will do whatever we can to help solve any issues you may encounter. Feel free to ask any questions you like - you'll never get the "that's been asked before - do a search" response here. There's even a meet and greet in South Carolina every September that I'm hoping to make this fall so I can meet and ride with some of these long distance friends I've made here.

Good luck on your search, keep us posted, and if you have any questions about a bike you're considering, I'm sure someone here will have the answers. Even if you choose another brand, you'll still be welcome here. It's a Yamaha forum, but we put fellow bikers over brand here.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,482 Posts
Welcome from Houston, Texas. Glad you joined us. Many here have gotten back into riding with a few years out of the saddle. Fell free to ask any questions you might have. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Super Moderator
6,414 Posts
I really can’t add much more than my good friends and fellow members Les and NorthernRider eluded to. We are highly supportive of one another and willing to help each other with issues we may have. The heart of our forum is its members and we have the best members anywhere!
Glad to have you join us and as it’s been said, ask any questions you may have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Welcome and come on down to the sunshine state sometime, we ride here 12 months out of the year. I don't know if you read any of my other posts, but I grew up in K.C. Missouri and I hate snow...I prefer to ride year round and snow is not fun on a big cruiser, so I stayed in Florida after the Navy.......so come on down and enjoy the ride.......

·
Registered
51 Posts
Welcome from South Carolina and glad to have you onboard. I too am in my early sixties and just getting back to riding. Its been since my 20's that i rode. So it feels all new and my riding then was not roads but trails. So first cruiser for me. Love to hear about your experiences as you get back on the road

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I want to thank everyone for such a warm and wonderful welcome. It's so very nice to have so many make me feel at home already. @lesblank , I'll be sure to check out some of those links, and get to know more about the people and the site.

It was just about a year ago when I first started with the idea of getting back onto a bike. It was from a desire to not just be able to get around town, but to get much further away .. to get out and road trip to see some net friends in WV, TN, NC and so many places. Looks like some other destinations may have to be added . .. ;)

I don't really have much in the way of old stories to share, can't remember any good ones. Hopefully, I'll be able to begin collecting and sharing some new ones. I'll be sure to post Pre-game and Post-game reports when I can get out and about. I am really looking forward to being on a bike again, to be able to get around, to see friends and family, to feel the engine's vibration under me, to feel the wind as it rushes past, to steer and guide that front wheel to new sights. The last few years have not gone according to plan, so it's time for a new plan. It will be a slow start, but I am very determined to make this dream happen.

·
2,515 Posts
You gotta stop talking like that - it's still January....lol.

Gotta go out to the garage and give her a little rub now ;)

·
5,482 Posts
If you plan a trip to the TN and NC area try to plan it around our annual Meet and Greet. It was a great time had by all.

Last year's info and recap:

This year's planning thread:

·
5,482 Posts

·
2,515 Posts
Maybe I should clarify. I'll take the cover off and give her a little wipe down with the F11. Maybe sit on it and make vroom vroom sounds. Does that sound better? :)

·
5,482 Posts
Maybe I should clarify. I'll take the cover off and give her a little wipe down with the F11. Maybe sit on it and make vroom vroom sounds. Does that sound better? :)
I can see your grin from Texas.

e3ceaab212e748702c81d4f5f13bbe56.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
You gotta stop talking like that - it's still January....lol.

Gotta go out to the garage and give her a little rub now ;)
Something about that statement just doesn't sound right. :unsure:
I really wish I could give her a rub right now. But I have neither garage, nor her.

It's a bit of an uncomfortable story. I have yet to acquire my dream bike. It is one of those 'Long Story' types of things. I have a major hurdle to overcome in order to make my dream come true. I have had to give up on a lot of things over the course of my life. I have not been the one who got to make some of the most important financial decisions in my life (Ex-wife=Check) (or is that cheque), and I am trying to reverse that trend.

They say, in some very enlightened circles, that in order to see some of your wishes granted, you have to believe in them like they have already happened. That is what I am attempting to do. I have to see a pension appeal successful or I cannot get my bike. As it stands right now, I can get her, but I may not be able to keep her. Gas, insurance, and daily expenses have to be within my budget. So, I am trying to move forward with my plans by getting myself involved. Like signing up here. I will be riding her soon, because that is what is in my future. I won't take 'No' for an answer. Of course, I'm also working on insuring the appeal is successful, dreams can't come true just by dreaming, there's real work involved in it too.

@ecbaatz ~ Thank you, yes, I have been watching a few of McRider's videos. Danthefireman and some others as well. I've also watched a lot of SRKCycles test rides. It was a few off those that polished off the decision for a Road Star. The rest of the middle-weight crowd is a nice group of bikes, but the Road Star is just so nice. I've sat on a few already, and I'll be going to see another tomorrow .. the one that I really want.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Welcome i can't believe i missed your thread. A lot of us here are in your spot in life. I was fortunate only to miss about 10 years when the kids were little. I have ridden the gammut from 250 - 1800. My 1100 Classic had renewed my ambition to ride again. The last 2 years with my 1800 it was more of a chore than joy to ride. Not so much the riding the 1800 as much as the trying to get it out of the drive because of all the drive obstacles. I hope you do get it we are all excited for you. The people here are all in a word "Amazing". Glad you stopped by and continue to in the future.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts