Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. I'm taking delivery of a new to me, 2007 VStar 1100 classic tomorrow morning. Feel like a kid before Xmas as I can hardly contain my excitement. Got a great deal on a single owner bike that has under 14k miles and extensive mods - performance cams, roadhouse exhaust, pod filters, engine oil relocation kit, windshield, upgraded starter and clutch, saddle man bags and givi top case, nautilus horn, amongst other things.

I've been off the bike for a while and this will be my first cruiser bike. My only slight concern was it has 16 inch ape bars on it. I know people either love them or hate them but sitting on the bike I liked my hand position - I'm 5 foot 10 with a long upper torso. Only time will tell if they are staying on. Figure I'll give it a few weeks of riding.

I've been watching every guide, article and video on how to handle a heavy cruiser bike in slow speeds and emergency situations. Besides motorman's how to ride like a pro series can anyone suggest some other technique guides?

I'm a lucky guy since my wife is super supportive of me getting back on the bike - she can't wait to ride pillion (it will have to be in a while though as I adjust to the bike) and even wants to learn herself. Looking forward to meeting other riders in the tri-state area.

Sam
Mods: SS Custom Cycle 429 cams, Barnett 64lb clutch spring conversion, Roadhouse 2-into-1 exhaust, Dyna 3000 ignition module, Dyna Hi-energy coils, Thundervolt spark plug wires, Metric Magic Under tank K&N filter pods, Metric Magic PMS screws, Yamaha upgraded starter clutch, rejetted carbs, Barons ORK oil filter relocation kit, Mustang touring seat, 1000lbs Eibach rear suspension spring, Progressive front fork springs, Stebel Nautilus horn, upgraded rear turn signals, Saddleman Midnight express saddlebags, Givi E340 topcase, VStar tall windshield.

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
Welcome from another recent 1100 owner (and recent return to bikes).

You might consider the MSP new rider course or returning rider course - I took it for fun and really found it helpful. I've also heard others mention the "Clevver" which is simply a Yamaha factor clutch lever that has been modified to make the friction zone on the clutch a bit larger.

Be Safe!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Welcome aboard.That bike has alot of good mods.Its going to be fast.MSP course is a good ideal.Take your time an Be Safe
Thanks. Yup I'm signed up for the MSP BRC even though I have previous experience I thought it couldn't hurt. I'm also signed up for an intermediate course. Both at a Harley dealership. I'm hoping the instructors will have more cruiser experience.

Sam
Mods: SS Custom Cycle 429 cams, Barnett 64lb clutch spring conversion, Roadhouse 2-into-1 exhaust, Dyna 3000 ignition module, Dyna Hi-energy coils, Thundervolt spark plug wires, Metric Magic Under tank K&N filter pods, Metric Magic PMS screws, Yamaha upgraded starter clutch, rejetted carbs, Barons ORK oil filter relocation kit, Mustang touring seat, 1000lbs Eibach rear suspension spring, Progressive front fork springs, Stebel Nautilus horn, upgraded rear turn signals, Saddleman Midnight express saddlebags, Givi E340 topcase, VStar tall windshield.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Welcome aboard :D If you decide to change out the 16" apes let me know, i have my stock bars still if you want to trade :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thanks for the welcome guys. Riding safe is my number one priority and I appreciate all the recommendations for the MSP course. I know that the bike is a heavy SOB and the mods add an appreciable increase in power. Took delivery today. Had it parked on the street and had to change it over to opposite side that required a steering locked u-turn at low speed. Believe you me, I was worried about dropping it but remembering basic motorcycle techniques made it easy - slight rear brake, friction zone and really snapping my head around - even with a 600+ lbs bike.

I have a whole bunch of slow speed drills that I want to do before venturing out into highway speed. Surprisingly the 16-inch apes didn't make slow speed maneuvers any more difficult. I'm guessing I'll feel it more in higher speed turns that will require more bar push.

SparkyD - thanks for the offer but I also have the stock bars. I'll probably give it a few hundred miles before deciding on swapping it out.

Sugar Bear - Haha. I know your sentiment about the Apes. To tell you the truth that's kind of how I felt about them too before getting this bike, but there's just something about the aesthetics of it that make it seem right - purely subjective of course. My main concern was and still is proper handling. Low speeds don't seem to be a concern... high speed ????

Sam

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Welcome from another recent 1100 owner (and recent return to bikes).

You might consider the MSP new rider course or returning rider course - I took it for fun and really found it helpful. I've also heard others mention the "Clevver" which is simply a Yamaha factor clutch lever that has been modified to make the friction zone on the clutch a bit larger.

Be Safe!
Hi Miescha. As you mention it I read about the small friction zone and experienced it today first hand. I don't think it's horrible - besides stalling on it once not too terrible but could be better. I ordered the "Clevver" this afternoon. A bike this heavy IMHO could really use a bit more leeway in the size of the friction zone. Hopefully the install will be straightforward - the online guide seems simple enough.

And yup I'm signed up for the MSP course.

Sam

·
Premium Member
2,503 Posts
I've had my 1100 about 3 weeks now and put 1,000 miles on it. I've gotten pretty comfortable with the small friction zone, but I too ordered the "clever" last week. It was cheap and sounded interesting.

Now that you've actually taken possession of your bike, I feel obligated to warn you that you are dangerously close to violating forum rules if you post any more messages without pics :D

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha. :D Ok, ok guys I get the hint. Pictures coming tomorrow on threat of excommunication from Vstar forum. :eek:

On another note, I'm still getting used to the friction zone on the bike. I ordered the Clevver but don't know when it will get here - wonder if by that time I'll get adjusted to it. Haven't had the time to ride it much - just came back from a quick 30 minute ride around town at night here in NYC and I stalled it a couple of times :rolleyes: - good thing the roads where I live are nice and quite this time of night.

Sam
__________________________________________________ _______________
2007 VSTar 1100 Classic

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not the best pictures. We've been having t-storms for the last several days and the light sucks. I do like the one with my son in the background smiling. :)

What ya guys think about the Apes?

Sam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts