Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just rode in to work and even though it's a balmy 7 C, my fingers are frozen! Any recommendations for good gloves that aren't too bulky yet keep the fingers warm?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
394 Posts
These are the exact gloves I have:
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Joe-Rocket-Velocity-Motorcycle-1056-4006/dp/B002MB4H8G[/ame]

They're good for spring/summer/fall at keeping my hands warm, but not quite enough for winter. They aren't bulky and offer good mobility, thin enough that you can still feel things through them, but do a pretty good job at keeping my hands warm.

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Go get yourself some heated gloves. I have Gerbings and I've had them a looooonnnnggg time, and it looks like there are going to last even longer, and the've been thru a lot of bad weather. They aren't bulky at all. If you buy heated grips, guess what, you still need gloves, something to think about.
It's gotten warmer here now and this morning was the first time this year where I didn't plug in the gloves. They come with a long harness that you pass inside your jacket which allows you to plug in each glove and after you sit down on the bike you plug in the harness end that hangs out of your jacket at the waistline. That end plugs into the battery tender lead or add one of the battery leads that comes with the gloves. I normally plug in when it is 8C or colder.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have you considered heated grips?
I have thought about it - used to have 'em on my Boulevard and loved them. Haven't looked into the cost yet (just ordered a few things for the bike so gotta watch the $$). Figured gloves might be a little more cost effective. :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Guys - I'll look into all three options! Haven't heard of "pokerun" winter gloves but I'll see what I can find!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Go get yourself some heated gloves. I have Gerbings and I've had them a looooonnnnggg time, and it looks like there are going to last even longer, and the've been thru a lot of bad weather. They aren't bulky at all. If you buy heated grips, guess what, you still need gloves, something to think about.
It's gotten warmer here now and this morning was the first time this year where I didn't plug in the gloves. They come with a long harness that you pass inside your jacket which allows you to plug in each glove and after you sit down on the bike you plug in the harness end that hangs out of your jacket at the waistline. That end plugs into the battery tender lead or add one of the battery leads that comes with the gloves. I normally plug in when it is 8C or colder.
Same for me. The Gerbing gloves are great, and they give you a lot of dexterity, too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Gloves that work

Just rode in to work and even though it's a balmy 7 C, my fingers are frozen! Any recommendations for good gloves that aren't too bulky yet keep the fingers warm?

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Earlier in the year, mid winter or so I bought a pair of unlined deerskin zippered gauntlets from Bbarbwholesale.com. I love these gloves!! They are sewn to match the curve of your fingers and for women that is really important just because of the strength factor. I love everything about these gloves insomuch as I can wear them all through the summer as well and they are stylish and fairly sleek looking with the short zippered gauntlet. They do keep my fingers warmer than I expected. I know that in CA it gets nowhere as frigid as in other parts of the country, but it does get bone chilling cold here in the winter months in the central valley. I have finally ( it's only taken me 35 years of riding) decided that this winter I am going to bite the bullet and buy a pair of Gerbing heated gloves. I have arrived at a place in my head that says you've ridden all these years with these ridiculously cold hands when they could've been warm the whole time. Do you think you'll be riding next year? And the next and the next and so on? Then just get the heated gloves and be done with it. Nobody really cares whether I have an iron butt or tough nut fingers and what they think really isn't my biz.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I've been through several gloves over the past couple years and the best I've found are from http://www.foxcreekleather.com/ The main problem I had with other gloves is that the thumbs were too short. With my hand wrapped around the grip, the thumb tip was pressed tight against the end of the glove so there was no room for a pocket of air to exist, which means my thumb were freezing even if the rest of my hand was okay.

For summer I am wearing the basic, unlined gloves. Over the winter I was wearing the insulated gauntlets. The gauntlet part is important in cold or rain because it's keeps wind from blowing up you sleeves.

The gauntlets by themselves are (IMO) good down to about 40 so they are not enough for full winter but they are good for all but the coldest months and when combined with wind deflectors over my hands they were fine in below freezing temps at highway speeds.

I picked up some heated liners on clearance a couple months ago and will try them out next winter.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts