Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, got some money saved and I have the ok from my shorter half to finally upgrade my bike. Heading out tomorrow to look at a Road Star. It's a couple of hours away but if it's as nice as he claims it is, I'll probably be bringing it home with me. It's an 04 Special Edition Silverado, original owner, with 40,000km (25,000 miles). He had a full Cobra exhaust installed at the dealer when he bought it. My only concern is that he told me he hasn't ridden it much in the past three years, but he had it out to get safety inspected a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully it's been properly stored.

It'll be hard to let the 1100 go. It's been an awesome bike, but I can't keep both. It's supposed to warm up into the 50s today and (finally) no rain so I'll probably go for one last ride.

·
Registered
39 Posts
That sounds like a real nice bike.

I got out on my bike yesterday for the 1st ride of the season. 200 kms near Algonquin Park. This winter has been tough. Widespread flooding in this entire region. When I got home had to go down the road and help sandbag our friends place. They are on the shore of the Madawaska River and it is really swelled up. Made a moat around his entire place. 2000 bags.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! The reason is the almighty dollar, according to my wife. Something about the house needing work and that's more important... her priorities are all out of whack, I know. Plus she says I don't need two. I convinced her to let me do it so I'm not arguing the point. :wink:

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That sounds like a real nice bike.

I got out on my bike yesterday for the 1st ride of the season. 200 kms near Algonquin Park. This winter has been tough. Widespread flooding in this entire region. When I got home had to go down the road and help sandbag our friends place. They are on the shore of the Madawaska River and it is really swelled up. Made a moat around his entire place. 2000 bags.
Nice that you finally got out for a ride. I really love my 1100 but I just want a little more for some touring we'd like to do.

I hope your friend manages to get through it relatively unscathed. We're having serious flooding around here too, although we're not in the flood plain. The Saint John river floods ever spring from the melting snow. Last year they declared a disaster and this year it's looking even worse because of all the rain we're getting on top of the snow melt. The Trans Canada (our version of an interstate) is closed in that area because parts of it are under water. My son went to the area and volunteered to fill sandbags yesterday. It floods to some extent every year and people still live there - I don't get it.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It may need a few....umm...things done to it before it's ready to sell. You know, I want to get top dollar for it, right? :wink:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Nice that you finally got out for a ride. I really love my 1100 but I just want a little more for some touring we'd like to do.

I hope your friend manages to get through it relatively unscathed. We're having serious flooding around here too, although we're not in the flood plain. The Saint John river floods ever spring from the melting snow. Last year they declared a disaster and this year it's looking even worse because of all the rain we're getting on top of the snow melt. The Trans Canada (our version of an interstate) is closed in that area because parts of it are under water. My son went to the area and volunteered to fill sandbags yesterday. It floods to some extent every year and people still live there - I don't get it.
I know the flooding problems around the St John river very well. I was in the Forces and posted to Gagetown 79 - 87. Beautiful city and area. Wife is from Richibuctou and I will be taking the bike down there in July and then do a tour of Nova Scotia, before heading back through the States to go home..

·
Registered
110 Posts
I suppose I could store extra bikes and cars elsewhere, out of sight out of mind kinda thing if it gets too bad and if something goes too long not being in rotation I can sell that one. I'm planning on having and keeping a lot of vehicles and a family.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a nice ride. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
Good luck on your search. Keep us informed.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
Not sure if that year is fuel injected or had carbs.

Either way though, look in the gas tank with a flash light. If the fuel is not clear I would not even start it up (if it looks like coffee).

If he had it inspected a few weeks ago he probably rode it there and back, but even still... if the fuel is old and brown the more you pump thru the carbs or injectors the more problems it will cause.

I think in Canada they put more additives in the fuel, so maybe its ok and you dont have to worry.

But if you have any doubts bring a can of fresh gas will you, enough to get to a gas station, drain the tank before you ride it home, and certainly do not ride it 2 hours home with old gas. The hour you spend now to drain it from the petcock hose will save you many hours later of either cleaning carbs or replacing injectors.

Roadstar is a great bike, it was the other bike on my list when I was looking last fall. Ended up getting a Royal Star, but would have been happy with either.

Once you get riding the Roadstar you wont want to ride the 1100 any more, unless you commute to work a lot and would rather commute on the smaller bike.

Thats what I do with my VS650 now, and for longer rides Ursa comes out of the garage.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice, KCW. This one is carburated, but Roadies only have one 40mm instead of the 2 on my VStar. I don't think they went FI until 08.

I intend to take a good look in the tank but after talking to the owner on the phone I got the impression he took good care of it. Hopefully he put fuel stabilizer in and topped up the tank last fall. Unfortunately it's in another province with different licencing laws so I'll be trucking it home instead of making two trips. In NS the tags stay with the person, not the vehicle. Here it's the opposite so he'll be keeping the tags. I'll give it a good going over once I get it home though (IF I get it).

I will be commuting with it but I've ridden a 1600 Roadie before and it really didn't feel a lot heavier than my 1100 so I think it'll be fine.

Besides, Les commutes with that big Harley so if he can do it, I can too! :wink:

·
Super Moderator
4,509 Posts
Besides, Les commutes with that big Harley so if he can do it, I can too! :wink:
Are you insinuating that I'm a short sh!t? Well, I accept that. Really the only time it get challenging is in parking lots and having to back it up. I'm always looking for the right parking spot.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would never insinuate anything like that! lol

But yeah, no nosing into sloped parking spots for sure. I learned that with the 1100. And I'm used to cruising parking lots looking for the right spot with my truck. With the long wheelbase and slight lift it's like trying to park a damn school bus.

·
Registered
5,380 Posts
oh yeah... you can commute on any Vstar bike

my 650 and royal star are both paid for, and insurance is only $220 / year to fully cover both of them, so Im under no pressure to sell the 650

I got the Royal star because its much better for longer road trips (its the base motorcycle under the previous Venture touring bike).

I take the Royal Star to work maybe once a week, esp if I plan on taking a longer ride home. Its fine for commuting.

I usually take the 650 to work because it has a trunk for my lunch, and I keep the windshield on it when its cold or going to rain.
Ursa stays naked unless I know I need to put the saddle bags or windshield on for the day.

and using the 650 for commuting keeps the extra miles off Ursa. If I ever have to choose one or the other, I will miss the VS650.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Insurance is another reason to sell the 1100. It's around $600 per year, and that's without collision. My insurance broker doesn't really handle a lot of motorcycles and I was told they have a 1000cc limit without having to underwrite it with another company. If my bike was under 1000ccs my insurance would be about half of what I pay. I'm almost afraid of what the 1700 will cost. I've been with them a long time but I may have to switch companies.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Congrats on your future Roadstar! Just some info...the 04 Roadstars (1st year of the 1700cc) were notorious for “sticky valve syndrome”. A Google search will provide you lots of info. Yamaha recommends to prevent this is at oil changes add no more than a total of 4 quarts. Also the only “special edition” roadstar I’m aware of is in 2003. The Silverados were available most years and were an upgrade by adding chrome, passing lamps, and saddlebags. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Thanks for the heads up. I've done a lot of research but I somehow missed that one. I'll look into it.

I know they make Canadian Special Editions so maybe it's one of those. There's one that's all white, including the frame. There are 2 of those for sale nearby, and they're are 05's but white is my least favorite color for a bike (especially the frame). There's also a Midnight Star Canadian Edition too. The one I'm going to see is silver and that isn't one of the standard color options for 04. I guess I'll find out more tomorrow.

Edit: It IS a Silverado.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, that was a bust. As soon as he opened the shed door I spotted the taillight and knew it wasn't an 04. He swore it was until I showed him the build date. He found the registration and sure enough it said it was an 03. He bought as a leftover in 04 and he always thought it was newer. He also told me it hasn't been ridden since last summer and that he had the tank plastic lined. Two hour drive but I didn't look any further, thanked him for his time, and walked away. The hunt continues.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts