Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I installed a hydraulic adjustable shock off a goldwing, hard bags with built in signals, and trunk. I took off and discarded the factory rear signals, they were damaged and fairly ugly to begin with.

First I took off the "stuff"

Then the rear tire and brake caliper came off

Old shock came out

Fitting the new shock

Installed the pump under the right side cover and fed the hose between the oil reservoir to under the bike

Then when tapping the front suspension bolt in this popped out and I freaked out because I had no idea where it came from but looked really important

Fortunately I found that it came from the socket extension I was using as an extender to tap the bolt in

Drilled a hole and put the switch in on the left side. Up stiffens the suspension and down softens it

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Got a trailer wire adapter harness for the lights

Wiring was not fun, but definitely could have been worse
http://i.imgur.com/ACkCTdp.jpg[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/N64CsBx.jpg

Buttoned up

I'm not done. The trunk sits higher than I want it, so I'm going to bring it down 1.5" or so. Once I have everything where I like it, I'm taking the mounting brackets off and painting them with a high gloss black.

Also I'm making spacer bars that will fill the gaps between the bags and the rear fender and hide any wiring.

The bag lights are functional and very visible as running, turn, and brake.

Also put on new master cylinder, new mirrors, clutch perch, clutch and brake levers, changed out my iphone4 holder for an iphone5 holder.

At least it's ride-able now, even if it's not as pretty as it could be.

Had to break it up because of the 8 image per post limit...

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Fatjay,

Wow, that looks great...but more importantly did you take it for a scoot? What do you think of your goldwing suspension? I rode on the back of one of those once, yeeehaaaa it's a couch :) Even better than the electraglide harley the boyfriend has for backseat comfort. Course, might be because the boyfriend is a speed demon...lol.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The suspension feels great. Very comfortable. Best $200 I've ever spent, night and day vs the old suspension. If you're interested I know a guy that will sell it modified and ready to bolt on :)

I went for a brief ride, this is hte first time the bike has been together since my accident last fall. I started off and it was running strange, and I realized it was only running on one cylinder. Then it sputtered and I lurched forward. The second cylinder was slowly coming to life in spurts. Again and again it sputtered and gave me more power. Before long I was running on both cylinders and roaring down the road. I'm still a bit shaky since the last time I was on, I hit the ground at 50mph, but I"m taking it slow. I was going to go on a poker run Sunday but felt I wanted more time to get back int he feel of it. I had planned to finish friday night, but ended up finishing late saturday, just enough for a quick 10mi run around town.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
I'm not a huge fan of poker runs - around here they are bar to bar and everyone is drinking. I try to keep my distance from riders who are drinking and riding as they are bound to suck at one or the other ;-) Welcome back to two wheels even if it was a short scoot!

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Poker runs here are generally firehouse to firehouse, start and stop at different dealers.

Basically you take off the rear wheel/brake caliper, take out front suspension bolt and rear suspension bolt, slide it out. Pump goes under right side cover and hose slid through to the shock and banjo bolted on. You can buy a pre-made harness or make one. The shock/pump was $150, the harness $50. Then add hydraulic fluid($4.99), prime and work out the air. Bolt it together and you're on your way.

Having never done it or anything like it, it took me 3 hours, a 17mm socket, 8mm socket, 14mm socket. Now that I've done it, it would take me 30min, tops.

The price is a LOT less than a factory replacement.

Modification was adding grommets, filing and fitting washer spacers, aligning and drilling new hole as the roadstar takes a shorter shock.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts