Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone, new member here in the forum from Barrie Ontario area. I bought my first cruiser bike. Always road crotch rockets until now. 2004 Yamaha V Star 1100 Classic is my new ride. I look forward to all the chats and rides!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Nick!
There is a few us in the Barrie area here.
Nice 1100, have you got it on the road yet?
Hey Hyde, I have had it on the road 6 times so far this way. I took it apart at the start of the week though to check the carbs out. The bike doesn't start good at all if at all after its been running. So the carbs are all stripped apart and I ordered some filters to do the diy pod kit. The intake boots were all cracked and a few other small things I have found.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,652 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Nice color combination.
A must read for all new 1100 Owners:

Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance :

Go to last page for current hunt :

If installing pods here's link for jetting, about half was down article. Don't forget to sync.

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome from Houston Texas. Nice color combination.
A must read for all new 1100 Owners:

Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance :

Go to last page for current hunt :

If installing pods here's link for jetting, about half was down article. Don't forget to sync.

Ride often and safe.
Hi Lesblank,

Thanks for all the reading material. Only thing I didn't do was tighten the shaft nut.

As for the jetting, the bike has slip on vance and hines and a hypercharger but I don't think it was jetted. The bike had a bad idle and lost a lot of power in multiple rpm ranges.

The AIS was still installed when I bought it so I removed that completely and removed the baffles from the slip ons. So I think its due for a jetting anyway.

I have read the wiki article on jetting multiple times. With vance and hines slip ons with no baffles, pods and hypercharger. Looks like I need 150s and 20s?

I bought a carb sync kit so I will definitely sync after I am done. I am new to working on bikes so this is pretty exciting!

·
7,652 Posts
I have read the wiki article on jetting multiple times. With vance and hines slip ons with no baffles, pods and hypercharger. Looks like I need 150s and 20s
On my 1100 with pods, full Cobra Slash Cut exhaust, IAS delete I ran 150 mains and the the stock 17.5 pilots and fine tuned with PSM screws. I would suggest that combo as a good starting point.

·
7,652 Posts
Are you using pods and the hyper charger for looks only?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Do you think they will have the jets I need? I have always found them so expensive.
They usually will, if you know the part numbers they are pretty good. Not the cheapest but they usually get it quicker than from the states.

·
7,652 Posts
For jets, you can go to Harley dealer, they used same jets on their carbed bikes for years. Just get jets, bowl gasket and new bowl screws. That's all you will need.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
For jets, you can go to Harley dealer, they used same jets on their carbed bikes for years. Just get jets, bowl gasket and new bowl screws. That's all you will need.
How come its suggested to buy new screws? Can you not run anti-seize on the screws after you clean them up good. Never strip the heads if they don't seize in the carb. Hopefully that's not a stupid question!!

·
7,652 Posts
I am hoping to run the hypercharger to pull in even more air if I can figure a way. I will definitely have the vacuum line hooked up.
The hyper charger will not increase power enough to offset the issues they cause. Search our forum for the issues they cause. They are great looking to look at. Just stick to pods for time tested performance and reliability.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The hyper charger will not increase power enough to offset the issues they cause. Search our forum for the issues they cause. They are great looking to look at. Just stick to pods for time tested performance and reliability.
I read some issues with them, thought maybe it was worth trying. Just having vacuum hooked up works for me. They look so bada$$ I think with the butterflies lol..my personal opinion anyway!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts