Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there's not many options in my state for 650 Customs.. I'm considering buying interstate, flying over and riding the 8 or so hours back.. how well do these bikes do for extended rides in terms of comfort and economy?

orrrrr... is this a really dumb idea and I should just be more patient until one comes up nearer to me.

Suppose i could get it shipped but where's the fun in that!

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think it is a very viable idea. I know the bike can handle it the question is can you? I can only ride for 5-6 hrs at a time no matter what I ride because of severely bad back. Broken back in the early 80's now have an erector set assisting my spine. Extended periods of freeway speeds was doable on my 1100 but after a couple hours in the saddle the high rpm's would start to bother me. Didn't stop me as I often did those longer rides and enjoyed them nonetheless. The 650 will do fine as long as it is in good running order

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,950 Posts
To me the issue would be if the bike is mechanically sound and has fresh oil. The bike is more than capable, but might get a little buzzy as people have mentioned. Good luck and keep us informed.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm with Les on this one.
How well do you know the bike?
How well do you know the seller? Can you trust him when he says everything runs fine and no issues?

I just bought a used bike 4 weeks ago that was over 500 miles away. I looked for three months and could not find the bike I was looking for within a couple hundred miles of me so I broadened my search..
I talked with the seller a dozen times on the phone. Asked questions I knew I could find the answers online just to see if he was being truthful.
In short, I bought it. I rented a motorcycle trailer from Uhaul for $15.00 per day (my SUV could pull it easily) and drove up to pick it up and drove back the next day. I didn't have to worry about issues with the bike. Fortunately there were none.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the distance on a 650 in general, I rode mine on all day rides more than once. The bigger question would be, as Les said, is it mechanically sound and is the rubber good. Couple things you could do here if rolling the dice to just ride it home feels too risky:
1. Call the Yamaha dealer closest to the seller and ask if you can pay them to do a pre-purchase inspection before you make travel arrangements. If the seller is unwilling to take the bike in, that should be a huge red flag, especially since you will pay the dealer, not them. If it checks out, then you can fly out and ride it home.
2. If you have a vehicle that can tow a trailer, then getting one from U-Haul is pretty cheap so long as you deliver it to the same location you picked it up from. If you don't have a vehicle that can tow a trailer, U-Haul rents pickups too, though that would be admittedly more expensive, as they'll rack up mileage charges. Might be cheaper to fly out and rent the truck/trailer near the seller.
3. Buy it sight unseen and arrange for a shipping company to deliver it to you.

I know several people that have bought one-way tickets to buy a car/truck/bike out of state and driven them back or had them shipped. They've all worked out pretty well, but they all also arranged for a pre-purchase inspection. I haven't personally done it, but if I were to do that in the future, I'd likely go with Option 1.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Here is a few tips for your long distance search.

Be aware that about one third of the bikes listed on Craigslist are a scam. Do your homework. Have seller take pics of the title and pics of VIN number stamped on the bike. Make sure they match.
You can see the owners name and address on the title. Go to the county website that owner lives in and do a property records search and see if it matches the title. Make sure you can see the title clearly. If the pic is blurry ask them to send another clearer pic. Look for alterations, smudges, whiteouts on the title. Don't be afraid to ask questions if something doesn't look right.

No matter whether you are dealing with a dealership or individual, ask them to take closeup pics of various areas on the bike. Also ask them to take a short video of the bike running so you can listen for any issues with the motor. Don't be afraid to ask questions if something doesn't look or sound right.

I hate rust. I can accept a dent or two but rust just turns me off. Rust usually starts around the brake pedal and shifter pedal where they connect to the frame and also at the bottom front of the frame at the radiator. Have them take CLOSEUP pics of these areas.

Also have them take closeup pics of both tires. If you have to pay for someone else to mount and balance new tires it can be pretty expensive. If wore out use this as a price negotiating point.

If you decide to buy, take it for a ride before you hand over the cash. Kick the tires so to speak. Check out the lights, signals, brakes, acceleration, etc.

And last but not least, if you arrive and find that the seller was not honest and hid some things you aren't kosher with, don't be afraid to walk away.
I once bought a recent model 34 ft 5th wheel RV off ebay that was over 1000 miles away. I flew out to close the deal and discovered half the important things like the AC and water heater did not work. I tried to work with the seller and in the process found other issues. He wasn't overly helpful so I packed my bags and flew home. It was an expensive lesson but I learned a lot from the experience.

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I bought my Stratoliner it was from a dealer as a trade in. So we drove a car over and I rode it back 480 miles following the wife. That way if something did happen I wasn't stranded alone on the interstate. It sure was a fun ride. I was like a kid in a candy store for the whole ride.
Plus I got to go to Destination Daytona on the trip, if you ever get a chance go there. ( the wife calls it motorcycle hell) Anything you want for a motorcycle can be found there

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I would have to say its a bad idea

you mean 8 hours away at 70mph on the highway = 560miles?

because on a motorcycle that is going to be a 12 hour trip: stopping every 200 miles for fuel
stopping every 90 minutes because you cant feel your beehind and your legs are going numb

and most likely stopping after 300 miles for the night because you are exhausted from the wind blast / head buffeting, because your windshield is not adjusted right, or your helmet is more noisy than you realized, or your riding gear is not as warm as you thought and you cant stop shivering....

I looked at 3 bikes before I found my first one.

The odds are against you

If you have the opportunity to travel 500 to 600 miles away and stay somewhere, and look at bikes while you are there, then maybe buy one if you find a good deal and take two days to ride it home.

take your time, check craigslist everyday in your area, check the other places where bikes are listed
and hit up the dealerships too - if you have to pay $500 to $1000 more for a bike from a dealer, it might be better than the long distance transaction

for the 500+ mile ride home, something as simple as a slow leak in a tire will turn the trip into a nightmare
and will cost you another $1000 to get the bike home... two days later

·
Registered
644 Posts
I would have to say its a bad idea

you mean 8 hours away at 70mph on the highway = 560miles?

because on a motorcycle that is going to be a 12 hour trip: stopping every 200 miles for fuel
stopping every 90 minutes because you cant feel your beehind and your legs are going numb

and most likely stopping after 300 miles for the night because you are exhausted from the wind blast / head buffeting, because your windshield is not adjusted right, or your helmet is more noisy than you realized, or your riding gear is not as warm as you thought and you cant stop shivering....

I looked at 3 bikes before I found my first one.

The odds are against you

If you have the opportunity to travel 500 to 600 miles away and stay somewhere, and look at bikes while you are there, then maybe buy one if you find a good deal and take two days to ride it home.

take your time, check craigslist everyday in your area, check the other places where bikes are listed
and hit up the dealerships too - if you have to pay $500 to $1000 more for a bike from a dealer, it might be better than the long distance transaction

for the 500+ mile ride home, something as simple as a slow leak in a tire will turn the trip into a nightmare
and will cost you another $1000 to get the bike home... two days later
Your like a motorcycle scientist huh?:cool:

·
Premium Member
2005 V-Star 1100 Classic
389 Posts
What state? I don't recognize the flag under your name. Is that Australia?

Anyway, it would really depend on the bike I was looking at. I would not form an opinion until I was looking at it and test driving it. Until then, bad idea.

One thing to be very aware of, is age of the tires. Lots of guys ride tires until worn out, and don't pay any attention to age. Bad idea! I talked with a guy about his '04 bike early last year. Got down to specifics and I asked him about the tires - and he told me they were the originals. Only about 6k on the bike IIRC, but 15 year old tires!!!

I kinda wish I had bought that bike. It was a nice Silverado, but it was an hour away and I would not have ridden it home.

·
Banned
18 Posts
I took my 650 back and forth from Arkansas to the Smoky mountains five times running between 70 and 80 mph both ways for 9 hour stretches. I think it'll be just fine. A 650 is actually not a small motorcycle, but people just have that mindset nowadays. People used to cross the country on 500s. 😁

·
Super Moderator
6,491 Posts
I really can’t add much to the conversation, I think you’ve gotten some really good suggestions/ideas. Checking items like tires, brakes are a must. Also checking the VIN and the county it’s registered in is a good idea. I can’t count the number of reports I’ve done on sight unseen purchases that have gone wrong. Close up pics and a video of it running I highly recommend. If the owner doesn’t agree, then buyer beware!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for your amazing responses guys!

My first thought was be to ship it straight here but I'd rather go over there with a few bikes to look at and have the chance to actually look it over and test ride etc

Given some suggestions here, I think I'll go over with a mate who can also ride and we can maybe swap every few hours and take a couple days and properly enjoy the ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts