Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
What state? I don't recognize the flag under your name. Is that Australia?

Anyway, it would really depend on the bike I was looking at. I would not form an opinion until I was looking at it and test driving it. Until then, bad idea.

One thing to be very aware of, is age of the tires. Lots of guys ride tires until worn out, and don't pay any attention to age. Bad idea! I talked with a guy about his '04 bike early last year. Got down to specifics and I asked him about the tires - and he told me they were the originals. Only about 6k on the bike IIRC, but 15 year old tires!!!

I kinda wish I had bought that bike. It was a nice Silverado, but it was an hour away and I would not have ridden it home.
I'm from Adelaide, South Australia. Looking to purchase the bike from Melbourne, around 450mi from me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I would have to say its a bad idea

you mean 8 hours away at 70mph on the highway = 560miles?

because on a motorcycle that is going to be a 12 hour trip: stopping every 200 miles for fuel
stopping every 90 minutes because you cant feel your beehind and your legs are going numb

and most likely stopping after 300 miles for the night because you are exhausted from the wind blast / head buffeting, because your windshield is not adjusted right, or your helmet is more noisy than you realized, or your riding gear is not as warm as you thought and you cant stop shivering....

I looked at 3 bikes before I found my first one.

The odds are against you

If you have the opportunity to travel 500 to 600 miles away and stay somewhere, and look at bikes while you are there, then maybe buy one if you find a good deal and take two days to ride it home.

take your time, check craigslist everyday in your area, check the other places where bikes are listed
and hit up the dealerships too - if you have to pay $500 to $1000 more for a bike from a dealer, it might be better than the long distance transaction

for the 500+ mile ride home, something as simple as a slow leak in a tire will turn the trip into a nightmare
and will cost you another $1000 to get the bike home... two days later
That's actually a really good idea. I hadn't even considered. That will be a great option if I can't sort out actually getting over there myself

You're good though, math is pretty spot on haha most of our highways have a 100km/h limit or around 60mph but travelling around 450mi but still not a short spurt to the shops

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,010 Posts
Having a second set of eyes with you sounds like a great idea to help check the bike out and possibly split ride time, that is if you will get off. :LOL::ROFLMAO::LOL:. Keep us informed on how it goes.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,010 Posts
haha yeah for sure! Maybe I'll even do a blog thread during my trip and keep y'all up to date on my adventure ;)
That would be great!! We need pictures or videos, or it never happened.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts