Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My backrest finally came, Yamaha has shown them on back order since I bought the Star Venture Transcontinental.

My last dealing with the dealer as well, the backrest was easy to install and once I had the seat back on it comes up to my lower back which is what I wanted, it still leave tons of room for my wife due to how Yamaha designed it.

The hardest part was unplugging the connector for the heated backrest.

Attachments

·
Registered
809 Posts
My backrest finally came, Yamaha has shown them on back order since I bought the Star Venture Transcontinental.

My last dealing with the dealer as well, the backrest was easy to install and once I had the seat back on it comes up to my lower back which is what I wanted, it still leave tons of room for my wife due to how Yamaha designed it.

Bill, you are gonna LOVE IT! It actually works....and my wife likes this ahead of her, much more than that high-boy backrest I had on our 2008 Wing.

I'm 6'3" and found the first extended setting, to be the best. You can lean back into it...and take the stress off of your upper shoulders and arms. The heat REALLY works...and my gawd...warming your lower back on colder days....WOW, WOW, and WOW! Good for you...a great addition to your ride...

I have a suggestion though...that you create a 'shopping bag' cover, that you place on the hump of the back rest, before your better half mounts or dismounts. My wife caught her riding boot shoe tip a few times by accident (and she was being careful, but even yet...) and I did get the buff marks out, but now, I simply open the left faring cover...give her the three shopping bag within each other bag...and she places it over the hump...I hold it there with one hand...and since then, no other shoe-buff-mark contacts. I'm thinking of making a proper hand-cut vinyl cover...that we keep either in the left fairing pocket, or she keeps on her left co-rider pocket space, used only when she mounts or dismounts. Trust me...the idea works!

Joe

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Bill, you are gonna LOVE IT! It actually works....and my wife likes this ahead of her, much more than that high-boy backrest I had on our 2008 Wing.

I'm 6'3" and found the first extended setting, to be the best. You can lean back into it...and take the stress off of your upper shoulders and arms. The heat REALLY works...and my gawd...warming your lower back on colder days....WOW, WOW, and WOW! Good for you...a great addition to your ride...

I have a suggestion though...that you create a 'shopping bag' cover, that you place on the hump of the back rest, before your better half mounts or dismounts. My wife caught her riding boot shoe tip a few times by accident (and she was being careful, but even yet...) and I did get the buff marks out, but now, I simply open the left faring cover...give her the three shopping bag within each other bag...and she places it over the hump...I hold it there with one hand...and since then, no other shoe-buff-mark contacts. I'm thinking of making a proper hand-cut vinyl cover...that we keep either in the left fairing pocket, or she keeps on her left co-rider pocket space, used only when she mounts or dismounts. Trust me...the idea works!

Joe
My wife slides back onto the seat first before I get on, then all she has to do is lift her right leg over the front of the seat and rear of the fuel tank, slow and deliberate that way there is no foot contact with the seat and fuel tank, she finds it much easier to mount and dismount that way. She has it down pat and she says she feels way more comfortable mounting and dismounting that way.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts

It’s about time! I ordered mine before I got my bike, but still had to wait 2 weeks for it. That was back in December though.
On colder days you can feel the heat back there. It makes the seat more of a complete warm bubble and yet supports your low back.
Your gonna love it!

·
Registered
809 Posts
It’s about time! I ordered mine before I got my bike, but still had to wait 2 weeks for it. That was back in December though.
On colder days you can feel the heat back there. It makes the seat more of a complete warm bubble and yet supports your low back.
Your gonna love it!
Yep...exactly! The two 'must have' acc's from Yamaha, in my opinion, are the Tall Boy Heated back rest and the lower Air Deflector/Collector set. Those have the most direct impact on the rider and co-rider.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did not get to ride yesterday when I put the new tall backrest on because it rained off and on all day, but this morning I went a for ride and wow, what a difference this tall back rest makes over the stock piece.

It is not like an aftermarket backrest that goes halfway up your back but instead it supports your lower back which is exactly what I need, this Yamaha tall backrest keeps me from slumping down while riding by providing the support to my lower back so I stay sitting straight up with out the slumping as I ride.

The Yamaha tall backrest is worth the money in my opinion, I have had the full size backrests on my last three touring bikes, 1989 GoldWing GL1500 a Markham backrest I believe it was, the 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour an Ultimate seat and Backrest and the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low a Harley hammock seat and Harley backrest.

I was a little worried that the Yamaha tall backrest would not be tall enough but it supports my lower back just right without being in the way for my wife to get on and off the rear of the seat. The other bikes the backrest would bend forward to give more room but you still have to get up over them.

Plus I did not care to cut the leather of the seat to make a hole for the aftermarket Ultimate backrest they developed. If the seat was not already designed with the hole in it and the leather covering properly sown then I worried about water getting in the seat soaking the foam and the leather tearing over time because you cut it. So that pretty much eliminated the Ultimate backrest for me from the start.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I did not get to ride yesterday when I put the new tall backrest on because it rained off and on all day, but this morning I went a for ride and wow, what a difference this tall back rest makes over the stock piece.

It is not like an aftermarket backrest that goes halfway up your back but instead it supports your lower back which is exactly what I need, this Yamaha tall backrest keeps me from slumping down while riding by providing the support to my lower back so I stay sitting straight up with out the slumping as I ride.

The Yamaha tall backrest is worth the money in my opinion, I have had the full size backrests on my last three touring bikes, 1989 GoldWing GL1500 a Markham backrest I believe it was, the 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour an Ultimate seat and Backrest and the Harley Davidson Ultra Limited Low a Harley hammock seat and Harley backrest.

I was a little worried that the Yamaha tall backrest would not be tall enough but it supports my lower back just right without being in the way for my wife to get on and off the rear of the seat. The other bikes the backrest would bend forward to give more room but you still have to get up over them.

Plus I did not care to cut the leather of the seat to make a hole for the aftermarket Ultimate backrest they developed. If the seat was not already designed with the hole in it and the leather covering properly sown then I worried about water getting in the seat soaking the foam and the leather tearing over time because you cut it. So that pretty much eliminated the Ultimate backrest for me from the start.
I agree to all your bullet points. While I liked where my Kury're (on the 2008 GoldWing)mid-back back rest, that also pitched forward, hit my back, it was a different saddle-body-positioning. You don't sit into, a stock GoldWing saddle, as you do upon the SVTC. So, given that...with the Yamaha Tall Backrest (I call it a Tall Boy, lol) set to the first of three forward positions, my butt settles deep into this great stock saddle, and then I will wiggle-down into the back rest/saddle juncture, and can then let all pressure off of my shoulders, back, and arms, with that juncture taking all my upper body weight. This quite frankly, is the very first bike in over 50 years of continuous bike ownership, that I can sit for hours upon the saddle...and NOT squirm, trying to get comfortable, or relieve a hot spot on the butt cheeks....a total first, as is, for my wife back there on 'the throne'. No squirming from her either...and on our 2008 GoldWing, (which also had a nice stock saddle) yet..both of us, would get Sore/Hot Butt, within an hour and a half upon her. This bike? We can go for hours...and only our bladders, or the tank running to a quarter left...has us looking to get off. All this...on a stock saddle! We are simply amazed with this bike...saddle, features, engine, sound...stereo and muffler tips, carrying capacity....the all of it. The best decision I have ever made, for a total tour mount. Honda....THANK YOU....THANK YOU! You rock in 2018, LOL! I wish you all the best with your new ST-1832.

Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts