Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
type 650 drive splines in the search bar above
Wow lots of people with the same problem I see. I've already started looking for a jack. Once I have it up there for a reason I'll make sure to grease it with 60% moly as mentioned by KCW. Thanks dude.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
Motor oil is fine, meets JASO specs.

·
Registered
2001 VStar 650 Classic
523 Posts
In case you haven't done this, the specs attached below should help.

Not knowing the history of my bike, I didn't want to take the chance of the spline in the rear drive go bad. As mentioned above the rear drive is very expensive, I'm loving the bike. So, on one of those cold / rainy days I decided to take the plunge and removed the rear wheel. For this I was ready with moly grease in hand in case I needed it. When I removed the spline I found grease but it wasn't moly, it looked to me more like axle grease or disk brake grease, some kind of grease. I cleaned the spline and shaft really good with simple green making sure to wipe off all the grease and applied 60% moly to the spline and shaft. After that I was finally able to get a good night's sleep, Lol.

Reactions: Boeing

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
In case you haven't done this, the specs attached below should help.

Not knowing the history of my bike, I didn't want to take the chance of the spline in the rear drive go bad. As mentioned above the rear drive is very expensive, I'm loving the bike. So, on one of those cold / rainy days I decided to take the plunge and removed the rear wheel. For this I was ready with moly grease in hand in case I needed it. When I removed the spline I found grease but it wasn't moly, it looked to me more like axle grease or disk brake grease, some kind of grease. I cleaned the spline and shaft really good with simple green making sure to wipe off all the grease and applied 60% moly to the spline and shaft. After that I was finally able to get a good night's sleep, Lol.

View attachment 93083

View attachment 93084
Very useful, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wasn't aware it needed to be 60% moly, this is good knowledge, thank you! If only I had knew this before I changed my tires and greased the spline. I cant recall what type of grease I used but sure enough, 4000 miles later I got 5 more gears of neutral.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Ouch... I hope it just a replaceable coupling. I have read in other posts that this is not listed as an owner maintenance item as Yamaha assume dealers will do tire changes and take care of the grease.

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
I do not believe the wrong grease will kill the splines in just 4k miles if the splines are hardened correctly and aligned properly. The splines on my shaft were nearly dry, especially in the front, but there was zero wear. If the final drive unit and wheel does not align after replacement, though, there may be forces taking place that can possibly kill the splines.

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 650 Silverado
30 Posts
So, I was looking for this Moly 60 that has been very well covered in this thread and it seems it was discontinued. Is there any truth to that? It's all over the honda forums and within Google search to use M77. Is it fact or fiction? Is moly 60 still available?

·
Registered
2005 V-Star 650 Silverado
30 Posts
Or is Loctite 8012 a viable option if moly 60 is really gone? Says is 65% moly.

Reactions: Louisiana Jeff

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,399 Posts
So, I was looking for this Moly 60 that has been very well covered in this thread and it seems it was discontinued. Is there any truth to that? It's all over the honda forums and within Google search to use M77. Is it fact or fiction? Is moly 60 still available?
Or is Loctite 8012 a viable option if moly 60 is really gone? Says is 65% moly. View attachment 100051
Either one will work without any negative effects, 60% moly or more. I use the M77.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the thing that worries me, the photo of the 75W bottle shows transmission gears, and it does not say "Hypoid" anywhere on the bottle

the 90° gears in the final drive and differentials are called hypoid gears. There are additives ( EP?) needed because of the way the beveled gears slide and mesh....

its $5 for another bottle of proper 80W90 hypoid gear oil.... its $500 if the 75W eats the gears in the final drive.

I would not be able to sleep at night... its the photo of the straight cut gears on the bottle that would keep me awake.
Would this work

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Banned
42 Posts
i removed my driveshaft yesterday an it looked new in the end going into the u joint. ( no grease whatsoever) the other end had almost none at all on the splines. i am glad i checked it. my bike only has 24,800 miles on it and its a 2005....so that hundred thousand mile deal i would disregard...yamaha will even tell ya that. they recommend doung the splines each time you change your tire ...now if you change your tire on friday then grease your splines. then runnover a nail on saturday. so you replace the tire. you wouldnt hafta grease everything again. but me personally . id still check the end of your drive shaft spline where it goes into the shaft
an id regrease that part just bc i took it out. but thats just me. yesterday. i greased all the male end with splines an i put grease in the female part also. but i am going to be taking mine back apart soon to replace brake shoes so when i do that job i will wipe off the stuff i used. it inly had 3% moly but i will regrease everything with the loctite 8012 an dont buy that idea that the grease they use when they build the bikes last 100,000 miles....yamaha mechanic told me yesterday no lube last that long.. most motorcycles dont even last 100,000 miles. but its not hard to do. i took mine apart an put it all back together. without a manual. just watch when you take it apart. hey . if in doubt. use the camera on your phone to take a pictures. take a pic with out then remove the left side hub take another picture. pull boot off take another pic an so on...this way when you put back together you can see in reverse order how they go back together... its pretty easy to do. yea a little intimidating at first to think about it. but. once you get to wrenchin you ll be glad you learnt how to do it....( yamaha charges 100.00 an hr) ...if you lived next door to me i would do it for ya for free so you could watch an learn :) as for the final drive oil i used 90 wt.... actually...myself i did not even remove the oil when i greased my splines. i had just changed that oil last week. i removed the shaft and greased everything an put it all back together....

·
Registered
2001 Yamaha XVS650 Dragstar Classic in black
1,314 Posts
Many bikes will go 100k or more without somebody ever looking at the shaft drive splines. Same with cars. However, cleaning off the old grease and re-grease once in a while surely will only do good. I got my bike with 18 years 13k miles on it. The splines still had grease from the day it was built on all splines, but I naturally cleaned it and replaced it with fresh moly grease.

·
Banned
42 Posts
Many bikes will go 100k or more without somebody ever looking at the shaft drive splines. Same with cars. However, cleaning off the old grease and re-grease once in a while surely will only do good. I got my bike with 18 years 13k miles on it. The splines still had grease from the day it was built on all splines, but I naturally cleaned it and replaced it with fresh moly grease.

i googled honda m 77 and read where supposely it only has 20% moly... thats why i wont use it. im gonna get the 8012 then re lube my splines again. just to be safe.

·
Banned
42 Posts
i recvd my clymer repair manual today. no where did it mention using moly to grease splines. ...it says use lithium grease also it did not even mention tearing down the final drive shaft and greasing all the splines i greased the other day using that ep moly3 ....it actually diesnt even mention m77 ...so im thinking lithium grease is fine. to use. and it did mention the hypoid 80wt gear oil i just wonder if greasing the final drive so aften why wouldnt it be listed in the general maintenance 🤔🤔🤔

·
Registered
46 Posts
If your shaft fails between tire changes, it is not because you used the wrong grease.

There are far bigger machines with far more torque and stresses on their splines that don't seem to have problems with regular grease. Think about all those tractors, cars, trucks, machinery, ECT. That do fine with regular grease.

This question is akin to "what is the best oil?" And it has the same answer, anything is better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
i recvd my clymer repair manual today. no where did it mention using moly to grease splines. ...it says use lithium grease also it did not even mention tearing down the final drive shaft and greasing all the splines i greased the other day using that ep moly3 ....it actually diesnt even mention m77 ...so im thinking lithium grease is fine. to use. and it did mention the hypoid 80wt gear oil i just wonder if greasing the final drive so aften why wouldnt it be listed in the general maintenance 🤔🤔🤔 View attachment 107175
the copywrite of the clymers may be before the talk of moly began

·
Banned
42 Posts
If your shaft fails between tire changes, it is not because you used the wrong grease.

There are far bigger machines with far more torque and stresses on their splines that don't seem to have problems with regular grease. Think about all those tractors, cars, trucks, machinery, ECT. That do fine with regular grease.

This question is akin to "what is the best oil?" And it has the same answer, anything is better than nothing.

i thought the very same thing....we didnt use moly on the farm just grease... i couldnt hsve said it better myself!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts