Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went out for a brief ride the other day and just a minute or so before getting back to my house I started to notice a very strange noise coming from the rear of the bike when cornering. It almost sounded like a flat. Upon getting home putting it in neutral and rolling the bike back and forth in my garage I noticed a gritty grinding and subtle popping from the rear wheel hub. I pulled the rear wheel and if I put the axle through the bearings and pull it or twist it sideways with any load on it I get a rather loud clicking and gritty sound. However the bearings themselves seem okay. The axel doesn’t seem to have any play in it. The bearings roll and turn smoothly. This is a 2000 v star with 14k miles on it and probably the original bearings.

·
Registered
2009 650 classic white
278 Posts
I suggest you take the bearings and spacer out and clean them and check both the bearings and the bores in the hub.
With everything clean you should see the problem. 14k is not that many miles if they were clean and greased.
You didn't say what model you have. Most bearings are fairly cheap and new ones would give you good piece of mind.
If yours has a shaft, be sure and grease the splines!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suggest you take the bearings and spacer out and clean them and check both the bearings and the bores in the hub.
With everything clean you should see the problem. 14k is not that many miles if they were clean and greased.
You didn't say what model you have. Most bearings are fairly cheap and new ones would give you good piece of mind.
If yours has a shaft, be sure and grease the splines!
Thanks, it’s a 650 V Star. Yeah the splines were rather dry. I went ahead and ordered new bearings. Suppose I will know more once they are in. Could anything else cause popping and clicking upon axial rotation of the rear wheel? If I grab the wheel while it’s on a jack and twist it side to side I get a fairly pronounced ‘click’. Also, should there be any play in the final drive shaft where it goes into the final drive assembly on the hub?

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
9,436 Posts

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
The bearing that have gone bad on me in my cars & this bike. The sound was more or a hum or whine.
I'm leaning towards bearing. But, a Les posted. Make sure everything is tight.

Ride smart. Ride often.

·
Registered
756 Posts
There should be extremely little play in the final drive. The noise makes me suspicious that the splines around the drive coupling (part 27) might be worn. Have you checked that?

Reactions: Lorax and lesblank

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
I'm leaning toward @dmil123 's line of thinking - splines. What does it feel like if you have the final drive in your and you turn the drive shaft. Do you feel any grinding?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts