Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there all,

I seem to encounter one learning experience after another building this Bagger :D:D:D, but then again, that's the whole point of doing this.

I have a DNA Fat 40, 21" front wheel modded up to the front with the 11.5 rotors. I had "Smokescreens" from the Road Liner forum lathe out spacers for me and they are works of art. Apparently, this wheel is ever so slightly wider than the stock wheel, so I need to narrow the mounting brackets for the calipers so they can mount to the fork. Currently, the mounts are too wide to get between the fork and the brake rotor. I'm planning to trim down the caliper bracket at the mounting bolt spots. They appear to be a bit over engineered and can lose a little weight without compromising their integrity. My challenge is this; I'm only cutting off about 2.5 mm of metal, but it is cast aluminum. What would anyone suggest as the best way to do it?

I could certainly use a grinder and a flap disk, but this will certainly heat up the metal and potentially warp it, not to mention gooping up my flap disk. I'm sure I could cut a little at a time and let it cool between sessions. I could possibly use a hack saw or coping saw (since the coping saw can do finer work). Can I use my vertical band saw? Just want to get some other ideas that may be better than what I'm coming up with.

Thanks in advance,

Sinister

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,962 Posts
If you have air, pick up a body saw. Works good on projects like this.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So you have access to a wide belt table top grinder? The belt is about 4 inches wide and has a flat surface to grind against.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You mean a belt sander? I don't have one, but I'm sure I can get access to one.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Lesblank,

That's a good call too. I do have air.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I was meaning something like this. I made a stand up sander / grinder like this for my knifemaking. The big plus is you can get a nice slow removal of the aluminum and still keep it somewhat square.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, that's what I was referring to as well. I don't have one, but I know I can get access to one. I should just pick one up for my wife's woodshop.

·
Registered
2000 V Star 1100 Classic
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was meaning something like this. I made a stand up sander / grinder like this for my knifemaking. The big plus is you can get a nice slow removal of the aluminum and still keep it somewhat square.
View attachment 91891
Worked like a charm. Picked it up today, told wifey it was for her woodshop and I was testing it out...lol

Before:

After:

Thanks to all for the ideas, as usual.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts