Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

GPS preference?

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  DMTJOY 
#1 ·
I am looking to get a GPS for my Vstar. I am looking for some feedback on what any of you use. We do lots of back road riding and I'm mainly looking for something simple to use and not too much money. Tom Tom, Garmin? What works for you? Thanks!

#2 ·
Gps

Roxtar,
I use a Garmin Nuvi, It works but, you should know. The mount is not strong, so it vibrates some, If I mount the suction cup on the top of my Triple tree it is better but the sun shines on the display. I can see it in the sun but not well. Garmin has a brighter display then the Lowrance I had.

You will not be able to hear it unless you get a model with Bluetooth. (Not sure the Bluetooth works.)You can get a stronger mount at techmount.com but the price starts to go up.

I keep a short peace of fishing card attached to the bike and the mount out of site in case it comes loose. I add a rubber band to insure it does not pop out of the mount. I know several people that their GPS hit he street. If you just stick it on you will likely be next.

I mounted a cigarette lighter plug under the seat for recharging.

Dave

#4 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I would have learned the hard way about securing it with fishing line and a rubberband!

I guess it's time to go shopping!

#5 · (Edited)
I like to hear my GPS talk me through the turns. This is especially helpful if the summer sun washes out your GPS screen so badly you can't see it. But it can also be difficult to hear the little GPS speaker at higher speeds wearing a fullface helmet. Bottom line: I won't buy a GPS for my bike unless it has an earphone jack... and NOT MANY of them do.
I had a Tom Tom One XL that I used in my car, and I liked its verstility. But it didn't have an audio jack, so I had to open it up and install one. Since I'm often wearing earbuds for my iPod when I ride, I wired a stereo phone jack into the mono GPS speaker circuit. I only wired to one channel, and I only get the GPS voice in one ear, but I don't have to use a special mono earplug when I want to hook up to my GPS.

#6 ·
I have a Garmin Nuvi 360 that works great in my truck, but is not ideal for the bike, although I put a RAM Mount on the handlebar that works just fine, really holds it well, and wired it to my last bike (1100 V-Star) before I bought the Roadliner. But the Garmin Zumo is much better, bike- and biker-friendly in every way, and waterproof (though others have used different methods to prevent water damage on the Nuvis). The only drawback is price- search your browser and sticker shock will surely follow. Others will perhaps chime in here, as I am familiar only with the Garmin line.

-Caper

3rd Officer
Road Captain
All Canadian Riders Club
Chapter 001 Durham ON Canada
http://www.allcanadianridersclub.ca

#7 ·
I too have the Garmin Nuvi 360 with a Ram Mount. IMHO it works great. waterproof would be nice but at the price I can always replace it should the unit get wet. I wired a power outlet into my handle bar bag. This lets me re-charge the GPS or my phone.

Just another view

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.