Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would someone mind forwarding the website that you use for map planning on your computer. I assume Yamaha directs you to one specific website like Garmin does. My GPS is still not working (covered in another post) but it will eventually so I thought I would start looking at the online tool available to me for trip planning.

I did check my manual but I could not find the website reference.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I started using myroute. It was suggested to me from someone else but don't remember who. It is free and works quite well. Go here. Look for a post from jbkrab

·
Registered
143 Posts
I found the website; created a trip, plugged the flash drive in and dropped it, then put that on to the glovebox cord - USB 1 on the upload option in the menu, but I don't think it up loaded to the GPS on the bike... at least I could not find it...
The app seems pretty easy to use; once I figure out the flash drive to the bike, it looks like a great way to prep for a trip.
Edit:
Then I got a survey from MyRoute; it seems the "free" service is only introductory:

Hello and Thank you very much for your reply.
We appreciate your feedback and added 20 addresses to your account, free-of-charge.
Please contact us if you have any comments or questions to address our team.
To get our future updates on facebook - Click here and then hit "like".
Thank you and Best regards,
MyRouteOnline team

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the website; created a trip, plugged the flash drive in and dropped it, then put that on to the glovebox cord - USB 1 on the upload option in the menu, but I don't think it up loaded to the GPS on the bike... at least I could not find it...
The app seems pretty easy to use; once I figure out the flash drive to the bike, it looks like a great way to prep for a trip.
Edit:
Then I got a survey from MyRoute; it seems the "free" service is only introductory:

Hello and Thank you very much for your reply.
We appreciate your feedback and added 20 addresses to your account, free-of-charge.
Please contact us if you have any comments or questions to address our team.
To get our future updates on facebook - Click here and then hit "like".
Thank you and Best regards,
MyRouteOnline team
Just checked out MyRouteOnline....pretty expensive ....especially given that with Garmin you get free access to Base Camp..but thank you for the suggestion.

·
Registered
62 Posts
There is a charge if you want the Gold plan. There basic service is free. Basic service is what I use. It lets you create your own route,but you don't get anything else.
On your Usb stick you need to create a folder called 'gpx'. Install your routes to the gpx folder and the gps on your bike will be able to find them.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a charge if you want the Gold plan. There basic service is free. Basic service is what I use. It lets you create your own route,but you don't get anything else.
On your Usb stick you need to create a folder called 'gpx'. Install your routes to the gpx folder and the gps on your bike will be able to find them.
I just tried to create a simple route, with a start and end point and then export it and I got a message saying register now and get 20 credits free of charge.....indicating I would have to pay at some point.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've used this a couple of times. FURKOT

My old 4S iPhone doesn't have a new enough OS for the Rever app I wanted to use. But I was able to create the route on FURKOT and export it to my phone (using another app since I had several waypoints) for custom turn by turn directions.

I haven't used it much but the basic stuff is free. They also have a paid subscription but I haven't needed it.

Brad

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've used this a couple of times. FURKOT

My old 4S iPhone doesn't have a new enough OS for the Rever app I wanted to use. But I was able to create the route on FURKOT and export it to my phone (using another app since I had several waypoints) for custom turn by turn directions.

I haven't used it much but the basic stuff is free. They also have a paid subscription but I haven't needed it.

Brad
Thank you...I can see based on the responses that Yamaha does not have a specific website they recommend or have set up for route planning to upload into the GPS. I know Garmin and Harley (and I expect TomTom) do.

I can play with different website options (including the ones the group has suggested) to create and upload maps and see where i get.

Yamaha is saying they are getting very close to being able provide my dealer the fix to activate my GPS...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I just tried to create a simple route, with a start and end point and then export it and I got a message saying register now and get 20 credits free of charge.....indicating I would have to pay at some point.
When I did mine I signed up for the free trial as a gold member. 30 days later that expired but I can still create routes. Wierd

·
Registered
143 Posts
Thanks! I'll try that and the free trial option.
I'm not having any luck... I have used two different usb sticks, created a folder"gpx", then GPX. then I just dropped it on a blank stick; I've changed the name of the route... I have used both connectors on the bike - I can confirm that they both work, as they both read music off of my phone...
The only thing I can think of is that I am using a MAC not a PC...?
Or am I on the correct app? Photo of what I am using is attached
I appreciate suggestions...

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went and looked at my route online and it is different than myrouteapp. May be your problem.
Here is what I did.
Used an old 8 gig usb stick and formatted it to fat 32
Created a folder called gpx
Created a route in myrouteapp
Saved it as pre 2019 harley
Sent it to usb stick and dragged it to gpx folder
Installed in fairing usb port on bike
Turned ign switch to acc and let gps boot up
Go to import location and gps finds stick and displays routes that are saved in gpx folder
Import as a trip
I am using a pc and have used edge and firefox. They both work

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I went and looked at my route online and it is different than myrouteapp. May be your problem.
Here is what I did.
Go to import location and gps finds stick and displays routes that are saved in gpx folder
Import as a trip
Very nice of you to list the steps. Yamaha has a lot to learn from Garmin's simple approach and support.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Here is what I did.
Import as a trip
Thanks! First issue was that I was on the wrong app... I think it is the MAC that is creating the issue. I downloaded the "connector" and I am now able to at least get the bike to "see" the file; I can select the file name, it comes up in two versions, but the bike now tells me that that it could not read or upload the file. I'm using the stick I formatted to FAT 32, and I did scroll down in the "Save as" window to the "HD Boom Box pre 2019" option...but I am stuck again.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I think the issue is that the Mac does not naturally read GPX files... When I try to open what I have created, the app-store pops up and offers to let me purchase more apps....

·
Registered
62 Posts
I am pretty sure that you can download firefox or edge to your Mac. I would try that. At this point without being there at you computer I don't know what else to tell you.
I Don't think that Yamaha wrote the software for there gps but they my have created the spec for it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts