Yamaha Starbike Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a somewhat sad post, but it's one that I'm still grateful for. I sold my Vstar 950T this past weekend. Due to sciatica issues and degenerative disc deterioration in my back, I realized my riding days were over. I've fulfilled my bucket list of being a motorcycle rider/owner, and God blessed me with being able to ride for 10 years. I started with a VStar 650 Silverado and upgraded to the 950 a few years later. I got my license a little later in life at 52 and I'll be 63 later this year. I had hoped to ride into my 70's [and get an Indian Darkhorse Chieftan, only with a large influx of cash], but the ride ends here. For all the family I'm still going to stay connected to this forum as you've given me many enjoyable posts and the body may not be able to ride but the mind is still very much able to post. The Lord blessed me with never having an accident in the 10 years I've ridden and I also enjoyed being a group leader for my church's motorcycle ministry. I pray all of you will ride to your heart's content and enjoy every single moment, be it on two or three wheels.

God bless and keep you,
Bman950

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
Bet that was a tough decision. Hats off to you staying positive. Glad you will hanging around. Hopefully some of the videos we post will put you back on two wheels, at least mentally, for a bit.

·
Registered
5,724 Posts
Sorry for your condition but so glad you got 10 years in. If i had to stop tomorrow i would be fufilled with no regrets. Glad you will stick around to mess with us (we deserve it).

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,278 Posts
I hear it is a very ill storm that has no silver lining, and taking the good times after a love affair has ended is a great way to find the silver lining.

Riding can be hard on one's back for sure. And living through some of our stories my be just as bad at times; well mentally anyway.

Might I offer you an alternative to riding? How about hanging? this will stretch your back some taking the pressure off of it. Looks therapeutic to me...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank all of you who have responded, you are definitely a wonderful group of folks and I appreciate every post. But Boog, c'mon man! My wife wasn't thrilled with me riding a bike and you want me to show her this!?! SMH & LOL! I can hear her now, "Boy please!!!!!!!" I wonder how much this would cost.........:unsure::p

·
Registered
885 Posts
I feel for you and can definitely relate. I started riding at the age of 51 and I'm 62 now. My right hip has been acting up, you know, the side you use to hold up the bike when you come to a stop? I can't say for sure, but I'm guessing that most likely the bikes I have will be the last ones I buy. On the other hand, I just read an article about the new Sportster with the 1250 cc motor. If they can put some forward controls on that thing, I might be interested (its under 500 lbs).

Reactions: Keith Post

·
Premium Member
2006 Stratoliner, 2014 Triumph Rocket III Touring,
2,278 Posts
Thank all of you who have responded, you are definitely a wonderful group of folks and I appreciate every post. But Boog, c'mon man! My wife wasn't thrilled with me riding a bike and you want me to show her this!?! SMH & LOL! I can hear her now, "Boy please!!!!!!!" I wonder how much this would cost.........:unsure::p
You'd still be wearing a helmet, so...

·
Registered
2007 VStar 1300
709 Posts
This is a somewhat sad post, but it's one that I'm still grateful for. I sold my Vstar 950T this past weekend. Due to sciatica issues and degenerative disc deterioration in my back, I realized my riding days were over. I've fulfilled my bucket list of being a motorcycle rider/owner, and God blessed me with being able to ride for 10 years. I started with a VStar 650 Silverado and upgraded to the 950 a few years later. I got my license a little later in life at 52 and I'll be 63 later this year. I had hoped to ride into my 70's [and get an Indian Darkhorse Chieftan, only with a large influx of cash], but the ride ends here. For all the family I'm still going to stay connected to this forum as you've given me many enjoyable posts and the body may not be able to ride but the mind is still very much able to post. The Lord blessed me with never having an accident in the 10 years I've ridden and I also enjoyed being a group leader for my church's motorcycle ministry. I pray all of you will ride to your heart's content and enjoy every single moment, be it on two or three wheels.

God bless and keep you,
Bman950
Always extremely difficult to walk away from something you like / enjoy. Hats off to you for having the courage to do that, rather take go one ride too many.
Also glad to hear you will continue to frequent the forum.
AND....hope your back issues stabilize and you can enjoy life without 2 wheels.

·
Super Moderator
8,171 Posts
We All are blessed and honored to have you as a member of our forum. I’m sorry that you’re not able to ride any longer, but glad you’ll be hanging around with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
dmil123, nah, the slingshot is more of a motorcar to me than a motorcycle. If I were to get on a bike again I'd consider a CAM Spyder, only because I would't have to be so concerned with putting my legs down at a stop. I'm getting adjusted to life without my bike, until I see another cruiser/tourer on the road. I think I'll be okay as long as somebody doesn't come up to me with any off the wall comments about not riding. So far so good.....:giggle:

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut" - Houston, Texas
2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), 2006 HD Electra Glide Ultra Classic
11,819 Posts
I'm sure you thought about a Yamaha Trike. There's actually some pretty cool ones out there. @Boog, thought of you possibly years from now when I saw the Vmax since you always speak about how you liked yours.

• Haha
Reactions: dmil123 and Boog

·
Registered
08 Road Star 1700
912 Posts
I have a good friend that I ride with alot who had a bike accident and broke his back. He has no feeling in his legs but taught himself to walk again just from feeling the pressure. We went out yesterday he rides the 3 wheeler.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm 68 now, been riding mostly since 1973. I had to have my left shoulder joint replaced two years ago, after dropping my bike downhill on a circular driveway (no speed), and had a lumbar laminectomy this past November. I got back on my bikes actually before my doctors okayed it. I am sorry to hear that you have had to do what you have. One of my co-workers sold his two-wheeler, and now has a Stratoliner-based trike that is very nice, but I'm positive that I put more miles on my bikes ('07 RoadStar and '15 1300) than he does. I have seen quite a few of those Can-Am Spyders around, so maybe you can go that route. Best wishes!

·
Registered
6 Posts

God bless and keep you,
Bman950

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear about your complaints. I have much the same , bottom 4 discs compacted. I.m 79 years old, started ridng when I was 16. and still riding my 650 Silverado, it gives me gyp after about 100 miles, \i have had to part company with my sit up and beg bikes tho and don,t talk about nose down , arse in the air boy racer bikes????

1 - 20 of 21 Posts