Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Although I am a big Clint fan, with all due respect, he didn't do anywhere near the volume of cowboy movies that the Duke did. But you may be leaving out a few. Like Roy Rogers, Gene Autry, even Walter Brennan, to name a few. Now if you were talkin about cop movies, (Dirty Harry Callahan), have to go the other way.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I guess it depends on how broad you define cowboy. For horse riding cattle herders, I vote for Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates in Rawhide. For outlaws, I vote Clint Eastwood as Josey Wales. For Lawman, Clint wins again as Marshal Jed Cooper in Hang 'Em High. For an old man with the conviction to stand his ground and face an impossible enemy to try and make even the smallest difference in someone else's life, Clint leads the pack as Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino.

I didn't grow up with John Wayne, but Clint has been entertaining me all my life. I'm guessing that makes the biggest difference.

For a hopelessly romantic truck driver turned fist fighter would you deny Philo Beddoe the title in Every Which Way You Can?

·
Super Moderator
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it may be a generational thing. i could never really get into John Wayne, but he was the king for decades. to me, Clint Eastwood was the perennial badass cowboy. in all his westerns, he was just the coolest person on Earth. John Wayne's style of cowboy, and the style of movies he was in, just came across as a little fuddy duddy to me. bland. i didn't mention other cowboys because i think these 2 would be at the top of everyone's list.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
What this has to do with motorcycles, I don't know. But somehow, for some reason, I feel compelled to answer. I guess you could say it's a generational thing. Maybe more of a subjective thing. But my granddaughters boy friend could sit and watch the Duke all day long. And he does sometimes. And he just turned 24. Maybe just a matter of taste. Some people don't even like cowboy movies at all. I have a friend that still watches all the Gunsmoke and Bonanza episodes almost religiously. I haven't been to his house in a very long time since he now resides in Colorado, but I'd bet a hundred bucks that if I walked into his house and the tv was on, that's what would be on it. While we're on the subject, how do ya feel bout the 3 stooges? They did a bunch of western style shows too.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I believe that makes a good case for "fuddy duddy".

·
Super Moderator
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
actually, i think that's a pretty cool photo. i guess what i meant by "fuddy duddy" is stiff. like it was watching someone's grandpa up on film. i never watched a John Wayne film and fantasized about being him or his character. but it's hard not to watch an Eastwood western without wanting to be him. he was cooler than Steve McQueen on any day of the week in my book.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you add it to celebrities riding motorcycles you might want to upload the photo. The link isn't showing in my browser. I had to view it through the email link.

·
Super Moderator
6,013 Posts
I too feel compelled to answer. Having grown up out west, the Duke was bigger than life itself. I got to see him as the grand marshall at a TOR parade once. His swagger and his character stood for all that was good at that time.
Eastwood 's spaghetti westerns focused alot on righting wrongs done to his character and unfair treatment of innocent people. The dirty harry films are in a category by themselves, and Eastwood is an accomplished Director, something the Duke wasn't really known for. IMHO, both actors were good representations of the times when they were on top. I have a Lt. with the last name of Callahan. He just shakes his head at me when I call him dirty harry. Now as far as funny cowboy films, I love the "Trinity" series.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Between those two there is no contest. I've lived long enuf to appreciate both of them and John Wayne is, was, and will always be the greatest movie cowboy ever.

·
Super Moderator
13,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
but in comparing their cowboy roles, you can't factor in Eastwood's work behind the camera or his non-cowboy films. this is purely comparing their cowboy characters/personas and reputations/adaptations of cowboys on film.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts