Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has been instrumental in helping me choose a new Yamaha over a Suzuki or a Kawasaki. I just got a sweet deal on a leftover 2009 Yamaha 950 Candy Red and couldn’t be happier but I’m in need of some advice.

I’d like to switch out the stock risers as it’s a stretch to reach the bars at my 5’2”-3” frame. The bars are at the right height but I need a few more inches toward me. I’ve come across Barons DT Risers Part#BA-7421RD which puts the bar 2” closer at the stock height. Does anyone know if these risers will fit my 950? Can anyone suggest other risers to check out?

I’m also gonna get the bike lowered an inch or two. Baron Part#BA-7540-00 has a lowering kit that has two height adjustments, 1” or 2”. I found another kit by Scootworks Part#SW-9455 that gives 3 adjustments: 1”, 2” and 3”. Again, does anyone have other suggestions?

Thanks again for any help you can provide, and Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sorry LadySavage doesn't look like those will fit. Maybe a tank clearance issue. If you go back to the Barons website and select your bike it lists a bunch of stalk risers but not the BA-7421RD. Those are for the 1100s and up.

Something you might try are some Beach Bars or Cruiser Bars. They are lower, wider and and have more pullback than the standard. As a bonus they make the bike easier to handle, especially for a smaller person. What you need to do is sit on the bike and hold your hands where they feel best (most natural) to you. Fix an imaginary line between your hands. Then have a friend measure the width between the outside edges your hands, the distance from the stock risers to the line between your hands and the height of the line above the risers. This will give you the measurements you need to select bars that fit if you decide to go that route. It will also in reverse, if you find some cool bars, figure out where your hands will be with those. Take the bar measurements and put your hands in those positions.

An advisory you may need to change or re-route cables and lines, but that holds true for a riser change also.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, got an update. I've lowered the 950 1" using Baron Custom Lowering kit #BA-7540-00 and now I'm comfortably flatfooted. The Baron Custom Kickback risers #BA-7410U will work on the VStar 950 however longer cables are needed.

Baron does make +2" & +12" extended set of cables but I'm told I am in need of +6" cables. Can anyone point me in the right direction for these cables or it is possible to get them in a custom length?

·
Registered
821 Posts
There's a guy on here named "Karnal".
He has a pic of his 950 on the "New Member Introductions" catagory.
It looks like he has some sort of hand grip extenders on it.
Not sure if that would help you or not, but might be worth a look.

·
Registered
45 Posts
garytj...the ad says it requires the bracket from the passenger seat...did you have to remove the passenger seat permenently, or does it "share" the bracket?

·
Registered
93 Posts
garytj...the ad says it requires the bracket from the passenger seat...did you have to remove the passenger seat permenently, or does it "share" the bracket?
It shares the bracket with the rear seat. So you need the rear seat installed, or the bracket is exposed.

·
Registered
49 Posts
There's a guy on here named "Karnal".
He has a pic of his 950 on the "New Member Introductions" catagory.
It looks like he has some sort of hand grip extenders on it.
Not sure if that would help you or not, but might be worth a look.
Unfortunately, you're gonna have to look at the pictures and figure out exactly what that is...

I just bought the bike maybe 20 days ago - someone else took the liberty to deck the bike out with chrome, hand warmers and a throttle locker (cruise) built into the throttle... so I don't exactly know what parts on this bad boy are stock and/or upgraded. I do know the person who had it before did most of the upgrades with Yamaha accessories (big bars, bag bars and even the seat.) Now - sitting on a bone-stock 950 I did notice that the handlebars on a stock one are a bit further up and away from me.... just by looking at mine, it seems like the handlebars are just adjusted downward a bit? Not sure.... If you want I'll try to get a picture from a better vantage point.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts