Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow riders,

I started riding earlier this year and have so far put over 3000 miles on my 2008 v-star 250. Since I've acquired the bike I've had to replace the choke cable (quite an ordeal!), and refill the battery with distilled water (less of an ordeal!). I enjoy riding and use my bike mainly for commuting. I am interested in learning how to perform maintenance on my own bike to avoid the steep hourly charges by the local repair shops, and to expand my mechanical knowledge. I've read various threads on this forum and have found the people here (YOU!) to be exceedingly helpful.

Stay safe,

-- firebovine

·
Registered
794 Posts
Welcome to the FlamingCow! Moooooo :D:D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Welcome to the 4M.

Pick yourself up a shop manual or find an on-line site where you are allowed to download a copy of it. Your owners manual only helps you with the most basic of maintenance items. The shop manual could walk you thru just about anything on your bike that has wires or screws attached to them.....and that just ain't a load of bull5h1t.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually, when I bought my motorcycle I was given an online copy of the shop manual. That's what I followed to take apart the bits of the fuel system required to get to the choke cable :).

Thanks for the warm greetings! :D

·
Banned
4,088 Posts
Cool, next thing, if you don't already have one, is a torque wrench. Just strip the wrong screw once and the unowned torqure wrench would have paid for itself instantly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts