Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! New to this forum, don't have a Yamaha yet, thinking of purchasing a V-Star, either a 950 or a 1300.

I presently ride a Kawasaki Versys 650, and have had 5 previous bikes including a ZX14, a M109r and a Marauder 1600, so I've had my share of powerful bikes.

As I get older, I find that power is not something that I look for anymore. It's fun, can't deny that, but after riding a nimble Versys, I must admit that it is way more fun using all the power of the bike and not just occasionally punching the gas for a quick 0 to 100.

Which now brings me to the following question: which one do you recommend, 950 or 1300? I like the look of the 950 more, but is it adequate for long rides, or would the 1300 be better suited for this sort of task? Im riding alone, btw. From all the videos I've viewed on youtube, seems either bike is great.

I am going to try both as soon as the friggin weather permits up here in Canada...

Thanks for any advice!

·
2,369 Posts
Welcome from just down the road in Riverview. I haven't ridden either the 950 or the 1300 so I can't speak for those, but I know some of our other members have them and will chime in.

When I returned to biking a couple of years ago I looked at a few different bikes. I almost bought a 900 Vulcan but my wife expressed an interest in riding with me and I wasn't sure it would be big enough for two up on the highway. So I got a VStar 1100, and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. It's light and nimble enough to maneuver around town and still had adequate power on the highway. We discovered we want to do more touring so I upgraded to a bigger bike this year but I still have my VStar and wish I could keep it too.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted. Maybe start a new thread once you find your new ride as not everyone reads the introduction forum.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome from just down the road in Riverview. I haven't ridden either the 950 or the 1300 so I can't speak for those, but I know some of our other members have them and will chime in.

When I returned to biking a couple of years ago I looked at a few different bikes. I almost bought a 900 Vulcan but my wife expressed an interest in riding with me and I wasn't sure it would be big enough for two up on the highway. So I got a VStar 1100, and I'm glad I didn't go any smaller. It's light and nimble enough to maneuver around town and still had adequate power on the highway. We discovered we want to do more touring so I upgraded to a bigger bike this year but I still have my VStar and wish I could keep it too.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted. Maybe start a new thread once you find your new ride as not everyone reads the introduction forum.
Small world... my mother lives in Riverview!

Waiting for a nice day to ride to Toys for big boys and try out a few used v-stars. They actually have the 950, 1300 as well as the Stratoliner so I will try all 3 and decide after. I'm over needing the biggest bike (ZX14 and M109R) and aiming for a balance between power, comfort and handling while being fun.

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,067 Posts

·
2,369 Posts
I was at Toys for the bless the bikes event on Saturday and I looked at the 1300. Beautiful bike and looks to be in good shape.

·
Registered
5,567 Posts
which bike to get depends on your preferences

Yamaha started out the Vstar Cruiser line with two well proven engines, and put them in the Vstar 650 and 1100

Vtwins, overhead cams with rocker arms and timing chains, clearance adjustable with an allen wrench , twin carbs, mono shock, electronic ignition.

They took the 1300 V4 proven engine from the Vmax / venture touring bikes and made everything from a base model Crusier (Royal Star) to a royal star touring bike with classic windshield and saddle bags, and continued the Royal Star Venture with a fairing, hard bags, and full passenger seat. The V4 is water cooled with overhead cams, started with 4 carbs, and at some point Im pretty sure it switched over to fuel injection. The Royal Star V4 bikes are the closest thing to a Goldwing, but without the horizontal 4 or 6 engine, it does have some vibration at highway speeds, esp when you get on the throttle.

Going up in size they made the Vtwin Road star bikes, 1600 then 1700, with push rods, air cooled, one carb fuels both cylinders. This is the simplist Vtwin big engine bike you can get: no timing chains, no fuel injection (until later years), no coolant or radiators. The Stratoliner and Road Liner are upgraded bikes with versions of the same engine.

In between they made the water cooled fuel injection 950 and Vstar 1300 Vtwins.

If you know what you prefer in engine design, there is a Vstar bike out there for you.

I feel obliged to point out: Yamaha stopped making all these great, highly reliable bikes. The only Vtwin they sell now is the New Venture transcontinental touring bike, which is in a class all by itself.

·
Registered
24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,266 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee.
My wife and I both ride the 950. We love them, however for 2up riding and for long trips, the 1300 is a better choice in my opinion. The 1300 is what we’re looking at upgrading to, but I encourage you to go test ride each one and see how they feel to you. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee.
My wife and I both ride the 950. We love them, however for 2up riding and for long trips, the 1300 is a better choice in my opinion. The 1300 is what we’re looking at upgrading to, but I encourage you to go test ride each one and see how they feel to you. Let us know what you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I have the 950. I love it although I initially thought I would something with more power. I looked at a VTX 1300 but the thought of messing with carburetors was a deal breaker for me because my riding season is about 6 or 7 months. The winter is just too cold for these old bones. Anyway I love the balance that the long wheel base of the 950 provides. I can maneuver the bike without much effort. Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Welcome from Columbus, OH! I have the 950. I love it although I initially thought I would something with more power. I looked at a VTX 1300 but the thought of messing with carburetors was a deal breaker for me because my riding season is about 6 or 7 months. The winter is just too cold for these old bones. Anyway I love the balance that the long wheel base of the 950 provides. I can maneuver the bike without much effort. Good luck in your search!
Thanks, looking forward to trying it out! The most fun I have ever had riding is with my first bike, a Shadow Spirt 750. Thing was fast, light, easy to maneuver. The big M109R was a rocket, but a pain to ride at slow speeds or struck in traffic...so much torque really had to be careful. That's why the more I do research the more these V-stars seem to fit my present requirements. O want to keep the bike for a while and now in my 50s I think a smaller cruiser is the way to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I chose My 2014 V-Star 1300 Deluxe due to the lockable hard bags. They are wider than the Harley version, so you can haul more on those occasional supermarket runs. The Batwing fairing is also nice as it comes with an integrated Garmin, that also serves as an MP3 player(Microdisk) or from an Ipod/Iphone connecter in the left saddle bag. I'm a tall guy, so the 10 inch windshield on the fairing gives me problems, as the top line of the shield is right in my line of sight. Bike has plenty of power. The shifting seems a bit klunky and don't follow the owners manual recommended shifting intervals, as the engine will stall. It has no Tachometer so you'll be shifting by the sound of the engine.

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info! The Deluxe is awesome, but very hard to come by around here. A few Tourers available, but still haven't been able to ride my bike to go check them out it's super cold and raining all the time...😠

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
5,067 Posts
Congrats on the new bike. I always liked that blue. Make sure and post any questions you have about the bike in the Vstar section, you will get better exposure and responses. Ride often and safe.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts