·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought my first Yamaha.
VStar 1100 Classic. 40000 Miles. Mint.
Love it.
Kind of OCD when it comes to cleaning and maintenance.
Looking forward to meeting new riders and learning all I can about my new bike.
And tips, tricks and how tos
Is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH! Hopefully riding season is upon you in the great white north. Our weather here in Ohio has been dreadful. But as Summer approaches hopefully it will get better. Very nice looking bike. There are more than a few active members here from up your way. Enjoy the forum!

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey!
Thanks Redbird
Riding season is here pal.
Very warm here in Atlantic Canada
Hope you get on your two wheels soon pal.
Looking forward to learning all I can about Yamaha vstars

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks nothernrider!!
I'm excited to learn.
Think someof my first upgrades will be lighting.
I like it bright.
Hope I can get some tips on LEDS.
My brake light in wish was alot brighter

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
The lighting on the 1100s can certainly use an upgrade. And I'm sure you've already noticed that the stock seat is about as comfortable as a brick, especially after riding a couple of hours. New ones are ungodly expensive though.

Hopefully things improve over the summer so I can out and ride some of the roads down your way. They are so much better than the NB roads.

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Small ride yesterday had my tailbone kinda numb. I'll have to find a seat upgrade down the road.
But ya, the lighting isn't the best. Previous owner at least upgraded the main headlight bulb...seems brighter.
But those other lights on the sides of the main headlight (not sure what they are called) are downright dim!
Seen the aftermarket led halo upgrades from Ebay that I like.

Hope you make it this way pal.
I'm not originally from Nova Scotia...but it's very beautiful here.
Make sure you get to the South Shore for a ride...or the Cabot Train through Cape Breton. Absolutely stunning.

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
Small ride yesterday had my tailbone kinda numb. I'll have to find a seat upgrade down the road.
But ya, the lighting isn't the best. Previous owner at least upgraded the main headlight bulb...seems brighter.
But those other lights on the sides of the main headlight (not sure what they are called) are downright dim!
Seen the aftermarket led halo upgrades from Ebay that I like.

Hope you make it this way pal.
I'm not originally from Nova Scotia...but it's very beautiful here.
Make sure you get to the South Shore for a ride...or the Cabot Train through Cape Breton. Absolutely stunning.
I'm hoping to do the Cabot this summer, virus permitting. I did go a for a cruise last summer - no destination in mind and ended up at Citadel Hill.

You'll find several threads here about upgrading to LED. If you go that route, don't just get a bulb. I did on mine and it was brighter, but the reflector wouldn't focus it properly so it didn't make a lot of difference. I think the Daymaker kit is a pretty good one that includes the correct reflector for LED bulbs.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. You sound a little like myself, got to work yesterday and had to wipe off the pollen. I like a clean shiny bike. After years of riding another brand finally got a Yamaha. Went to buy my first one 43 years ago and it just didn't work out. Got my classic last spring. Mine has 35000 on it
mp3.jpg

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Welcome from Wisconsin. You sound a little like myself, got to work yesterday and had to wipe off the pollen. I like a clean shiny bike. After years of riding another brand finally got a Yamaha. Went to buy my first one 43 years ago and it just didn't work out. Got my classic last spring. Mine has 35000 on it
View attachment 94721
Awesome Deek. Thanks for sharing your story.
My first Yamaha.
I'm happy so far.
And I like doing all my own work/maintenance.
Although engine/trans I'll leave to the pros

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
Being your first Yamaha, I should give you an important tip. NEVER give it any throttle to start it. It doesn't help with the starting and it is very hard on the starter clutch if it kicks back. They may have corrected that by 2004 but best not to take any chances.

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
Being your first Yamaha, I should give you an important tip. NEVER give it any throttle to start it. It doesn't help with the starting and it is very hard on the starter clutch if it kicks back. They may have corrected that by 2004 but best not to take any chances.
Never give it throttle to start only choke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
you can pull all the staples off your seat cover, remove it, and cut a groove down the middle front to back about 15mm wide and deep, then you wont be sitting on your tailbone anymore

easy fix

you can put the cover back on with short sheet metal screws and washers
or get your hands on a power-stapler for a few hours

the easiest way to modify the seat foam is with an angle grinder with a cutting wheel

it sounds insane, and works like spreading butter with a hot knife - trick is you can only drag the wheel across the foam in one direction (like spreading butter)

if you push the edge into the foam the other way.... dont do that... not good

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
7,652 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
520 Posts
welcome from western New York. Looks like a nice ride you have there. Hope you enjoy the forum and visit often. We all learn from each others experiences. Happy trails... ride safe.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts