Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Being your first Yamaha, I should give you an important tip. NEVER give it any throttle to start it. It doesn't help with the starting and it is very hard on the starter clutch if it kicks back. They may have corrected that by 2004 but best not to take any chances.

Thanks so much for that tip NothernRider!!
Tips like that are what I'm looking for!
Thanks again pal.
Much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
welcome from western New York. Looks like a nice ride you have there. Hope you enjoy the forum and visit often. We all learn from each others experiences. Happy trails... ride safe.
Thanks alot Dmil123!
You have a nice ride as well. It's a beauty!

Greetings from Canada pal.

Here to learn all I can.

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
you can pull all the staples off your seat cover, remove it, and cut a groove down the middle front to back about 15mm wide and deep, then you wont be sitting on your tailbone anymore

easy fix

you can put the cover back on with short sheet metal screws and washers
or get your hands on a power-stapler for a few hours

the easiest way to modify the seat foam is with an angle grinder with a cutting wheel

it sounds insane, and works like spreading butter with a hot knife - trick is you can only drag the wheel across the foam in one direction (like spreading butter)

if you push the edge into the foam the other way.... dont do that... not good
Cant thank you enough KCW for the tips.
A new seat or modified is definitely in my future!

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Welcome from Houston Texas. Glad you joined us. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt :

Ride often and safe.
Hey LES!
Cant thank you enough for taking the time to post the links for information.
Thats a great help pal.
Have lots of reading.

This place is awesome!

So happy with my purchase...and finding this great forum with great ppl to share info with!

I'm pumped!

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Welcome from East Tennessee!
Great looking bike you have there. I’m glad I’m not the only one that’s OCD about their bikes, lol. Enjoy the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks alot Keith!
I usually dont admit my cleanliness OCD.
But ya. Wipe down after every trip.
Even if it's a couple kilometers.
Had it two days now...and I've removed a lot just to clean.
And I've ceramic coated it twice already.
Oh boy

·
Registered
'04 Vstar 1100 Classic
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Quick question. Have original bags on their..and I wanna remove them to umm...clean...lol.
I cant remove the damn things.
Screws inside the bags are Allen..and stripped.
Is there an allen screw removal tool I could purchase? Or a technique you may know of?
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
vise grips
cutting wheel on dremil tool

·
Super Moderator
3,554 Posts
The allen head on one of the backrest brackets got rounded off on my bike. I have a set of square tipped easy out tools and I found one that I could tap into the stripped hole. Worked great, but these get used often so they weren't seized or stiff. If you have a large robinson screwdriver you don't mind tapping in there that might work too.

I've been searching all over town for replacements with the allen head and no one stocks them. Guess I'll have to go to my dealer, and I bet they have to order them.

And they'll probably want $5 each for them. Oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just bought my first Yamaha.
VStar 1100 Classic. 40000 Miles. Mint.
Love it.
Kind of OCD when it comes to cleaning and maintenance.
Looking forward to meeting new riders and learning all I can about my new bike.
And tips, tricks and how tos
Is greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Welcome from NL, Canada,
I am new as well just picked my bike up yesterday, looking forward to getting licenced and on the road. Actually hoping to do a trip to Nova Scotia or Cape Breton sometime the summer if schedule and Covi-19 restrictions will allow. I have a 2013 VStar 1300. I have a good many friends and relatives that I would like to visit.

·
Super Moderator
7,007 Posts
Yes those will work along with all the other suggestions. I recently removed the saddlebags from my RoadStar and replaced all of bolts with new ones as I had the saddlebags repainted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 35 of 35 Posts