Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A big hello to all from Spain. I'm English and moved here with my wife in 1990 - Great weather for riding! My bike is a 2005 V-Star 1100 Silverado, imported from Florida by a local retailer (pictured with my wife's Kawasaki Vulcan).

Been riding a good few years now (though at 66 the old back doesn't let me go long distances any more!!)

Sadly, both bikes were badly damaged when our local river flooded seven months ago. Just got them back from the repair shop, but now Spain is under very strict lock-down. But these things will pass. Stay safe everybody!

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin. Nice looking stable you have there. I hope they loosen up lock down on you soon. The tree buds are just opening here. May have to mow the lawn for the first time here. In our "safer at home" they just extended it until may 26th but they do allow us to ride our cycles without problems. I have an 01 1100 Classic myself. Stop by often it is nice to have you here. Tell your wife she is welcome also.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Welcome from Columbus, OH, USA! Lots of good information on this site with a bunch of things to see and do. Hopefully the stay at home prison sentence will be over for everybody and life will return to normal. Snoop around and enjoy! It is not like you are going riding very soon. ?

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Welcome, nice Gibson in your photo

get a drivers backrest for your 1100 - best mod to make for a motorcycle

if you need convincing sit on a bar stool watching the Lord of The Rings 3rd move (3 hrs)

·
Super Moderator "Loose Nut"
6,563 Posts
Welcome from Houston Texas. Great looking bikes, hope you get them on the road soon. Here's a few interesting threads to check out when you get a chance.

Go to last page for current hunt:

Ride often and safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, nice Gibson in your photo

get a drivers backrest for your 1100 - best mod to make for a motorcycle

if you need convincing sit on a bar stool watching the Lord of The Rings 3rd move (3 hrs)
Had a genuine Gibson EB3 when I was 14 - this one was custom built for me by a very talented Spanish luthier.

Backrest would certainly help with the aches and pains!!

·
Super Moderator
6,732 Posts
Welcome to the forum from East Tennessee! I agree you have a great looking array of bikes. This lockdown is making everyone itchy to get and ride, here’s hoping it won’t last much longer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Welcome from Rochester New York. Happy to hear your bikes are back on the road. visit often and enjoy the forum. Happy trails.

·
Registered
2010 Vstar 950. Candy Red.
927 Posts
Howdy, enigma. Welcome to the forum. Very nice bikes you have there. Which part of Spain is home? I was stationed at Torrejon and lived in Alcala de Henares back in 72 - 73. Absolutely loved that country and the Spanish people.

So did you have any trouble adjusting to the left hand drive motorcycle? Probably heard that one already, I imagine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Howdy, enigma. Welcome to the forum. Very nice bikes you have there. Which part of Spain is home? I was stationed at Torrejon and lived in Alcala de Henares back in 72 - 73. Absolutely loved that country and the Spanish people.

So did you have any trouble adjusting to the left hand drive motorcycle? Probably heard that one already, I imagine.
Hi Graybeard

Home is 30 miles south of Alicante on the Costa Blanca. No trouble adjusting - I don't call it a left hand drive, it's a left hand ride! 😂😂😂

·
Registered
860 Posts
Welcome from Pensacola, Florida............I too enjoyed time in Spain at NAS Rota, also got to spend some time in Majorca.........loved them both.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Welcome from Pensacola, Florida............I too enjoyed time in Spain at NAS Rota, also got to spend some time in Majorca.........loved them both.
Jspree,
Drove down to Rota 2 or 3 times while there. Bought some navy fatigues and got in trouble for taking a picture of a sub at the docks. Apparently when the quarterdeck (???) is out of the water, NO PICTURES.

Enigma,
I can't remember going to Alicante although I know for sure I made it as far as Benidorm. There were a bunch of us that had 2 seaters and all decided to run down to the coast via Valencia and then south. Quite a memorable trip. Among other highlights there were some shacks on the beach that would cook you a paella. You tell them how many in your group and they tell you when to come back and eat it. I believe that is also where some Spanish kids our age taught us how to play the General Paz drinking game. We played with Sangria.

So back in the early 70s it was fairly hazardous out on the roads of Spain. Families were just becoming able to afford a SEAT 600d or similar. The roads were full of amateurs and all kinds of ridiculous things happened, but mainly it was problems like sheep crossing the road around the curve or old ladies walking in the road or people passing when they shouldn't or driving too fast on the unbanked roads of the day or just stopping in the road to take a piss. Cars wandered out of their lanes for no apparent reason. You had to pay attention.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Graybeard, any pictures of subs have to be approved by Navy photo lab and stamped "unclassified". I spent my first enlistment on sub tenders, they had big signs on the gates to the inner harbor no pictures allowed.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Graybeard, any pictures of subs have to be approved by Navy photo lab and stamped "unclassified". I spent my first enlistment on sub tenders, they had big signs on the gates to the inner harbor no pictures allowed.
Interestingly, my wife and I saw the sub from the road up on the bluff above and were shocked that we could drive right down to the dock. No gate. No guards (that you could see). We walked up to a Do Not Cross line, I posed the wife in front of the sub and whipped out my little kodak, and wham! guards everywhere. They were surprisingly nice. I told them I had not yet taken a pticture and they believed me. It was true, BTW. They didn't make me take out the film or anything like that. Never did see any no pictures sign, but it is not surprising that you can't. I was pretty amazed I could get that close to a submarine. You sure as hell couldn't walk out on the flight line at Torrejon and snap pictures of the F-4s.

Rota was pretty nice. Cadiz was nice. All of Spain was nice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Jspree,
Drove down to Rota 2 or 3 times while there. Bought some navy fatigues and got in trouble for taking a picture of a sub at the docks. Apparently when the quarterdeck (???) is out of the water, NO PICTURES.

Enigma,
I can't remember going to Alicante although I know for sure I made it as far as Benidorm. There were a bunch of us that had 2 seaters and all decided to run down to the coast via Valencia and then south. Quite a memorable trip. Among other highlights there were some shacks on the beach that would cook you a paella. You tell them how many in your group and they tell you when to come back and eat it. I believe that is also where some Spanish kids our age taught us how to play the General Paz drinking game. We played with Sangria.

So back in the early 70s it was fairly hazardous out on the roads of Spain. Families were just becoming able to afford a SEAT 600d or similar. The roads were full of amateurs and all kinds of ridiculous things happened, but mainly it was problems like sheep crossing the road around the curve or old ladies walking in the road or people passing when they shouldn't or driving too fast on the unbanked roads of the day or just stopping in the road to take a piss. Cars wandered out of their lanes for no apparent reason. You had to pay attention.
Graybeard,
Nothing's changed my friend, old ladies still walk in the road even though we have pavements now!! Sorry, sidewalks!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts