Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from New Zealand, the first country to see the light of a brand new day.

I have just purchased a 2004 XVS 650 Classic after my previous ride, a Suzuki S40 got stolen.

I started out riding three years ago on a very old SR250 but needed to move up as the SR had lost too many ponies to get my fat carcass at motorway speed but, more imperative, the SR was written off because a cager drive aross my path and wrote the SR off.

After a couple of years on the S40, I was considering changing anyway since it got very uncomfortable on longer (400k+ or 250+ mile) rides.

I will post images of the bike shortly.

·
Super Moderator
6,091 Posts
Hi Bill, welcome to the forum. Sorry your Suzuki got stolen, but I hope you're enjoying the 650. Looking forward to seeing some pics of it. Ride safely and we're glad you joined us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just starting to get to know the bike. Nervous with it in the wet which is somewhat ironic since I rode it 300km home in really crappy weather, including a stretch that, while only 6km long is a steep downhill grade of 1km vertical height. Normally it is a speed limit of 100km, but most of the recommended speeds for the corners are 55km/h. As I was going down the hill on a very wet and windy night on a motorbike I did not know I went round some of those corners at 50km/h, with my ass puckered so tight that if I had farted it will have been so highly pitched as to be out of the hearing range of dogs. Got a couple of club rides coming up that I can use to get more used to it but I won't be rushing things.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Hey, Bill, and welcome from eastern Canada. I'm new to the Vstar bikes too and I get what you're saying, but the more I ride mine the more comfortable I get with it's characteristics. It won't be long until you can stop terrorizing those poor dogs. Seriously, though, they're great bikes and I know you're going to love yours. This forum has a lot of friendly and knowledgeable members that are more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Ride safe.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Welcome Bill, from southwestern PA. Congrats on yer new ride. Post up some pics if ya got any. Know what ya mean about those dark, wet rides on a new machine too. Had a similar experience not long after acquiring my 1100.

·
Registered
5,441 Posts
Bill,

I didnt know Yamaha made an SR250. They dont sell them in the US.

I always liked the SR500 / 400. If I could have found one for a good price I would have gotten that, but they are pretty rare in the US.

I took an S40 for a test ride, thought it would be like the SR500, but I didnt really like it. It made this odd roaring sound at about 50mph.

I ended up with your ride, a 2005 650 Classic. Been riding it for 4 years now and the only thing I changed from stock is putting a CheapO-Delux riders backrest, and a bag behind it to carry my lunch. That and I de-badged it completely.

Its a great bike, very reliable. 29,000 miles on mine with just oil/filters and two new sets of tires to date.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome Bill of New Zealand!

We share a bike in that my Lucy is an '04 650 Classic. I'm changing her tires in my studio at present to Metzeler 888's. Great bike to own and I've found her easy to work on and ride even for longer stretches. Last year Miss Lucy and I went for a 2000+ Mile in 6 days ride and hung with much larger bikes at high speeds. Not that I want to push that hard all of the time but it's nice to know it's possible as well as reasonably comfortable.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts